Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual Core processors

Dual Core processors

Lowly Engineer

I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.

My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
in the PERFORMANCE pane?

Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
other applications seem to work fine.

Any ideas?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Lowly Engineer wrote:
> I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
> it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
> great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
>
> My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
> in the PERFORMANCE pane?
>
> Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
> other applications seem to work fine.
>
> Any ideas?

I've had an X2 processor for some time (2-3 months) and haven't run
either of those utilities. But your system should show on bootup which
processor you're running. It's common for MBs that haven't had the BIOS
updated to show only a single processor and NOT labeled as X2. In
Windows, hold down the Windows key and press Pause/Break, what does it
show for the processor?

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Lowly Engineer spewed forth:
> I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
> it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
> great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
>
> My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
> in the PERFORMANCE pane?
>
> Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
> other applications seem to work fine.
>
> Any ideas?

My first idea would be that as XP Pro is significantly older than the
hardware, it may not be programmed to show that information. I remember back
in the PII/Celeron days when I'd upgrade a CPU, the BIOS of the computer
would identify it incorrectly simply due to the fact that it hadn't a clue
what the processor was <g>

--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Toolman Tim wrote:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Lowly Engineer spewed forth:
>
>>I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
>>it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
>>great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
>>
>>My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
>>in the PERFORMANCE pane?
>>
>>Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
>>other applications seem to work fine.
>>
>>Any ideas?

> My first idea would be that as XP Pro is significantly older than the
> hardware, it may not be programmed to show that information. I remember back
> in the PII/Celeron days when I'd upgrade a CPU, the BIOS of the computer
> would identify it incorrectly simply due to the fact that it hadn't a clue
> what the processor was <g>

Pardon my intrusion, but I think you're confusing the OS with the BIOS.
Win XP Pro was definitely dual processor aware from the beginning. (MS
just didn't know that there would be dual processors on one chip, but
still, it amounts to the same thing.)

Trax

Lowly Engineer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
|>it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
|>great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
|>
|>My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
|>in the PERFORMANCE pane?

In Task Manager"
View - CPU history - make your selection.

--
Service call? Talk to a human...
http://paulenglish.com/ivr/

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Rgr spewed forth:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Lowly Engineer spewed forth:
>>
>>> I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I
>>> have it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard
>>> isn't great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
>>>
>>> My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO
>>> processors in the PERFORMANCE pane?
>>>
>>> Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
>>> other applications seem to work fine.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

>> My first idea would be that as XP Pro is significantly older than the
>> hardware, it may not be programmed to show that information. I
>> remember back in the PII/Celeron days when I'd upgrade a CPU, the
>> BIOS of the computer would identify it incorrectly simply due to the
>> fact that it hadn't a clue what the processor was <g>

> Pardon my intrusion, but I think you're confusing the OS with the
> BIOS. Win XP Pro was definitely dual processor aware from the
> beginning. (MS just didn't know that there would be dual processors
> on one chip, but still, it amounts to the same thing.)

True - but I was only guessing. I've not had the opportunity to play with
any dual-core CPUs. And I never really looked at the task manager in my dual
processor server at work.

--

Toolman Tim wrote:

> True - but I was only guessing. I've not had the opportunity to play with
> any dual-core CPUs. And I never really looked at the task manager in my dual
> processor server at work.

Tut tut, my good man. Not task manager, but system properties.
--
Sona si Latine loqueris

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) om,
Rgr spewed forth:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> True - but I was only guessing. I've not had the opportunity to play
>> with any dual-core CPUs. And I never really looked at the task
>> manager in my dual processor server at work.

> Tut tut, my good man. Not task manager, but system properties.

The OP is looking in task manager, in the performance pane. On my HP with
P4/HT it shows two CPUs.

--

Toolman Tim wrote:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed) om,
> Rgr spewed forth:
>
>>Toolman Tim wrote:
>>

>>>True - but I was only guessing. I've not had the opportunity to play
>>>with any dual-core CPUs. And I never really looked at the task
>>>manager in my dual processor server at work.

>>Tut tut, my good man. Not task manager, but system properties.

> The OP is looking in task manager, in the performance pane. On my HP with
> P4/HT it shows two CPUs.

Okey doke, in task manager (running Win XP x64, AMD X24200) there's no
indication either way about the number of processors. But in system
properties, the CPU is correctly identified as being the Athlon X2
processor.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Rgr spewed forth:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed) om,
>> Rgr spewed forth:

>>> Tut tut, my good man. Not task manager, but system properties.

>> The OP is looking in task manager, in the performance pane. On my HP
>> with P4/HT it shows two CPUs.

> Okey doke, in task manager (running Win XP x64, AMD X24200) there's no
> indication either way about the number of processors. But in system
> properties, the CPU is correctly identified as being the Athlon X2
> processor.

The CPU Usage History graph is one graph on my AMD Athlon 1500+ (old Sony
laptop), whereas the HP with the P4/HT has the history showing two graphs. I
believe in a dual processor there are two graphs, and if the dual processors
are HT, there should be four. And in a dual core, it should be the same -
two for non-HT, four for CPUs with HT. But like I said, I've not actually
done that myself - I just saw screen shots showing that.