Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Registry checker problems

Registry checker problems

rohitpad@gmail.com

Hi

Every time I boot my PC, before windows loads, I get a blue screen
which says

"Microsoft Registry Checker" and below that it says

Repairing C:\Windows\System.dat

Then it there is a tick mark next to "Looking for valid system registry
keys" and "checking system registry structure" and then after a while
(while it counts upto 100%), there is a tick mark next to "Rebuilding
system registry".

After this is over, Windows 98 loads just fine and I'm able to run my
programs. My question is that the above process run every single time I
boot and is time consuming and really annoying. Can anyone give me
suggestions as to what I could do? What exactly is the issue here and
how could I solve it?

thanks

Rohitpad

Trax

|>Hi
|>
|>Every time I boot my PC, before windows loads, I get a blue screen
|>which says
|>
|>"Microsoft Registry Checker" and below that it says
|>
|>Repairing C:\Windows\System.dat
|>
|>Then it there is a tick mark next to "Looking for valid system registry
|>keys" and "checking system registry structure" and then after a while
|>(while it counts upto 100%), there is a tick mark next to "Rebuilding
|>system registry".
|>
|>After this is over, Windows 98 loads just fine and I'm able to run my
|>programs. My question is that the above process run every single time I
|>boot and is time consuming and really annoying. Can anyone give me
|>suggestions as to what I could do? What exactly is the issue here and
|>how could I solve it?

Yes it does, MSCONFIG or some other utility within Win98 will show
that it starts on boot.

--
Service call? Talk to a human...
http://paulenglish.com/ivr/

Ron Martell

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi
>
>Every time I boot my PC, before windows loads, I get a blue screen
>which says
>
>"Microsoft Registry Checker" and below that it says
>
>Repairing C:\Windows\System.dat
>
>Then it there is a tick mark next to "Looking for valid system registry
>keys" and "checking system registry structure" and then after a while
>(while it counts upto 100%), there is a tick mark next to "Rebuilding
>system registry".
>
>After this is over, Windows 98 loads just fine and I'm able to run my
>programs. My question is that the above process run every single time I
>boot and is time consuming and really annoying. Can anyone give me
>suggestions as to what I could do? What exactly is the issue here and
>how could I solve it?
>
>thanks
>
>Rohitpad

Yes, that regsitry scan is a part (and an extremely important part) of
the Windows 98 startup.

Not only does it scan the registry for errors and fix them, it also
creates and maintains a library of 5 backups of your registry plus the
win.ini and system.ini files.

Recurring registry problems are something that needs to be addressed
and fixed as a matter of considerable urgency.

The first thing to do is to boot your computer to "Command Prompt
only" at startup. You need to bring up the Windows Startup Menu to do
this, and this is best done by pressing and holding the Ctrl key very
early in the startup process (generally as soon as the first
information of any kind shows on the screen). Hold it down until the
Windows Startup Menu appears (it will list a number of startup options
such as Normal Startup, Safe Mode, and others) and choose the "Command
Prompt only (not Safe Mode Command Prompt) option.

When the computer stops at the C:\> prompt enter the following
commands:

SMARTDRV
SCANREG /FIX

Smartdrv just loads the Windows disk caching utility, which will speed
up the registry scan enormously.

Scanreg /FIX will check and repair any registry errors. This is a
somewhat more thorough check than is done at startup and therefore it
may resolve the issue for you.

When Scanreg has finished reboot the computer (Ctrl+Alt+Delete). If
the registry error message comes up again then there is something else
at play here, and that is most likely to be defective RAM.

Defective RAM is a known cause of recurring registry errors.

To test your RAM download one of the following free registry checkers
and run it:
DocMemory http://www.simmtester.com
Windows Memory Diagnostic http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com

A very quick, but often very effective memory test can be done by
rebooting your computer into Safe Mode (see above re Windows Startup
Menu). If you receive an error message about unreliable XMS memory and
Windows aborts loading then that is pretty conclusive evidence that
there is defect RAM. But the memory testers listed above are more
thorough and more reliable.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

philo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi
>
> Every time I boot my PC, before windows loads, I get a blue screen
> which says
>
> "Microsoft Registry Checker" and below that it says
>
> Repairing C:\Windows\System.dat

<snip>

run a RAM test
registry errors *might* be due to bad RAM