Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What the ...? Fonts missing!

What the ...? Fonts missing!

Rustiferion

I recently went to revise some Web buttons and banners I had made, oh, maybe
a year or two ago, and had a nasty surprise: Several of the fonts I had used
were missing from my fonts folder, including the one I used to use the most,
Calligraph421.

Last spring, I added a new 80G hard drive, and reinstalled Windows XP Home
from the Dell OEM disk (then re-upped to SP2- what a chore...) so I still
had the old drive still intact. I went to the Fonts folder on that drive,
where I found dozens of other fonts that had not made the migration, and
manually copied them over BUT the Calligraph and several other favorite and
heavily-used fonts were not there. I did a Search All Drives, but these
several were just flat gone! Where did they go?

I know for darn sure that I did not delete them, at least not knowingly, and
the Fonts folder is far enough off the beaten track that I doubt I would
have done it accidentally. Perhaps this is a rhetorical question, so the
real question is, how do I get them back? I Googled and found a
downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts site, but when I went to use
it, it just wasn't the same quality as the original. So where did it come
from? I had always thought they were installed as part of the Windows OS,
but apparently not...

Does the Windows site have a way to download a font package, say a Fonts.cab
file? I couldn't find one just now, but it doesn't mean it isn't there.

~RL

Mike Easter

Rustiferion wrote:

> I Googled and found a downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts
> site, but when I went to use it, it just wasn't the same quality as
> the original. So where did it come from?

According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream font
distributed in some Corel packages..

--
Mike Easter

Toolman Tim

In news:4388b455$0$87459$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net,
Mike Easter spewed forth:
> Rustiferion wrote:
>
>> I Googled and found a downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts
>> site, but when I went to use it, it just wasn't the same quality as
>> the original. So where did it come from?

> According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream font
> distributed in some Corel packages..

It wouldn't surprise me if Corel still names fonts weird. You wouldn't
recognise the font by the name. I've seen font name start with an
underscore, a couple letters/numbers, more underscores: _c4__.ttf for
example. Since the name of the font is embedded in the file, they can have
any filename. That could possibly be what is making it hard for the OP to
find on disk.

Another issue is that they may not have been Truetype but Bitstream fonts.
Those are not in the Fonts folder. I have Adobe Type Manager at work, but
not here at home so I can't suggest offhand what the typical folder location
is.

--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Chris R-J

you will find it here
http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...H16QEJR5D0AL0W

chris

news:eE2if.3737$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:4388b455$0$87459$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net,
> Mike Easter spewed forth:
>> Rustiferion wrote:
>>
>>> I Googled and found a downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts
>>> site, but when I went to use it, it just wasn't the same quality as
>>> the original. So where did it come from?

>> According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream font
>> distributed in some Corel packages..

> It wouldn't surprise me if Corel still names fonts weird. You wouldn't
> recognise the font by the name. I've seen font name start with an
> underscore, a couple letters/numbers, more underscores: _c4__.ttf for
> example. Since the name of the font is embedded in the file, they can have
> any filename. That could possibly be what is making it hard for the OP to
> find on disk.
>
> Another issue is that they may not have been Truetype but Bitstream fonts.
> Those are not in the Fonts folder. I have Adobe Type Manager at work, but
> not here at home so I can't suggest offhand what the typical folder
> location is.
>
> --
> Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
> still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Rustiferion

news:eE2if.3737$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:4388b455$0$87459$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net,
> Mike Easter spewed forth:
>> Rustiferion wrote:
>>
>>> I Googled and found a downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts
>>> site, but when I went to use it, it just wasn't the same quality as
>>> the original. So where did it come from?

>> According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream font
>> distributed in some Corel packages..

> It wouldn't surprise me if Corel still names fonts weird. You wouldn't
> recognise the font by the name. I've seen font name start with an
> underscore, a couple letters/numbers, more underscores: _c4__.ttf for
> example. Since the name of the font is embedded in the file, they can have
> any filename. That could possibly be what is making it hard for the OP to
> find on disk.
>
> Another issue is that they may not have been Truetype but Bitstream fonts.
> Those are not in the Fonts folder. I have Adobe Type Manager at work, but
> not here at home so I can't suggest offhand what the typical folder
> location is.
>
> --
> Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
> still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Aha! Corel!! Yes, there are dozens of TT files with helpful names like
21257__.ttf. I could compare file lists and take a look at the ones that
don't appear in the "new" fonts folder. (Calligraph421 is not the only
useful font that went missing) It would also explain why they weren't
re-installed with the OS...

Thanks
~RL

Toolman Tim

In news:0q3if.46947$(E-Mail Removed),
Rustiferion spewed forth:
> news:eE2if.3737$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:4388b455$0$87459$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net,
>> Mike Easter spewed forth:

>>> According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream
>>> font distributed in some Corel packages..

>> It wouldn't surprise me if Corel still names fonts weird. You
>> wouldn't recognise the font by the name. I've seen font name start
>> with an underscore, a couple letters/numbers, more underscores:
>> _c4__.ttf for example. Since the name of the font is embedded in the
>> file, they can have any filename. That could possibly be what is
>> making it hard for the OP to find on disk.
>>
>> Another issue is that they may not have been Truetype but Bitstream
>> fonts. Those are not in the Fonts folder. I have Adobe Type Manager
>> at work, but not here at home so I can't suggest offhand what the
>> typical folder location is.
>>
>> --
>> Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
>> still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
>>

> Aha! Corel!! Yes, there are dozens of TT files with helpful names
> like 21257__.ttf. I could compare file lists and take a look at the
> ones that don't appear in the "new" fonts folder. (Calligraph421 is
> not the only useful font that went missing) It would also explain
> why they weren't re-installed with the OS...
>
> Thanks
> ~RL

Ah - yes - the joys of proprietary filename conventions <g>

I run into that same problem at work when I upgrade systems.

--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Rustiferion

news:AC3if.3751$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:0q3if.46947$(E-Mail Removed),
> Rustiferion spewed forth:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eE2if.3737$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ah - yes - the joys of proprietary filename conventions <g>
>
> I run into that same problem at work when I upgrade systems.

FWIW I discovered that IrfanView has a font-reader plug-in available, which
made fairly short work of plowing thru 520 (!) fonts to find TT1139M_.ttf
(Calligraph421 BT). Oof...

Since I have reinstalled the original Corel file, I won't need the YouSendIt
file, Chris, but thanks anyway. Now I have it in my Downloads, if I ever
need it.

Thanks also to Mike E. for the nudge about the comp.fonts ng. Some good
stuff there.

~RL

Toolman Tim

In news:MQ5if.21622$(E-Mail Removed),
Rustiferion spewed forth:
> news:AC3if.3751$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:0q3if.46947$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Rustiferion spewed forth:
>>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:eE2if.3737$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Ah - yes - the joys of proprietary filename conventions <g>
>>
>> I run into that same problem at work when I upgrade systems.
>>

> FWIW I discovered that IrfanView has a font-reader plug-in available,
> which made fairly short work of plowing thru 520 (!) fonts to find
> TT1139M_.ttf (Calligraph421 BT). Oof...

<snip>

Cool - I may have to look into that.