Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mapped Network Drives

Mapped Network Drives

Rosco

On my home network I store MP3's on one computer mpgs on another and
most of the time load them from my laptop. the pcs are all connected
via cat 5 the the laptop wirelessly. The drive the mp3s are on is
mapped as the Z drive yet when i try to load a playlist on the laptop
it will cycle though the songs as if the file doesnt exist until i open
the folder that contains the mp3s in explorer, ( i guess truley
connecting) i thought that was the point of mapping the drive, any
ideas
WinXP home on mp3 pc and laptop
98se on mpg, no problems with 98 box

PC

"Rosco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9719C4A11F472rosco111NOCAPScharte@69.28.18 6.121...
> On my home network I store MP3's on one computer mpgs on another and
> most of the time load them from my laptop. the pcs are all connected
> via cat 5 the the laptop wirelessly. The drive the mp3s are on is
> mapped as the Z drive yet when i try to load a playlist on the laptop
> it will cycle though the songs as if the file doesnt exist until i open
> the folder that contains the mp3s in explorer, ( i guess truley
> connecting) i thought that was the point of mapping the drive, any
> ideas
> WinXP home on mp3 pc and laptop
> 98se on mpg, no problems with 98 box

Rosco

No fix but have observed similar issues with other wireless networked
laptops.
Possibly tied up with power saving putting the wireless to sleep until you
wake it with a direct explorer call.
Have also had one wireless USB device that would only work after connecting
the same machine via Cat5 & then disconnecting the Cat 5.

Another setup I've looked at with two laptops, one would connect instantly &
stay connected rock solid all day if necessary, the other laptop would
connect sometimes & then just drop out after a few seconds/minutes. The one
that worked had the same brand of wireless equipment as the access
point(Dlink), the laptop giving problems had another brand (Intel Centrino)

Cheers
Paul.