Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > External Hard Drive

External Hard Drive

Vincent Burgum

Hello
I am thinking of buying an external hard drive to use as a back up. The
one I am interested in is a Freecom 80 gb, but it says it uses USB2. Can
someone tell me what that is and how I tell whether on my computer I have
USB1 or 2?

Many thanks

Vince

Trax

"Vincent Burgum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hello
|> I am thinking of buying an external hard drive to use as a back up. The
|>one I am interested in is a Freecom 80 gb, but it says it uses USB2. Can
|>someone tell me what that is and how I tell whether on my computer I have
|>USB1 or 2?

RUN (WinKey+R): devmgmt.msc <enter>

Open the USB controllers - if you see "Enhanced" anywhere in there,
you have USB2.

--
Redneck Roller Coaster

Whiskers

On 2005-11-22, Trax <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Vincent Burgum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>|>Hello
>|> I am thinking of buying an external hard drive to use as a back up. The
>|>one I am interested in is a Freecom 80 gb, but it says it uses USB2. Can
>|>someone tell me what that is and how I tell whether on my computer I have
>|>USB1 or 2?
>
> RUN (WinKey+R): devmgmt.msc <enter>
>
> Open the USB controllers - if you see "Enhanced" anywhere in there,
> you have USB2.

USB2 devices should be able to run on earlier versions of USB socket, and
vice versa; you'll just get slower data transfer than USB2-to-USB2.

--
-- Whiskers

old man

usb2 is backward compatible with usb1
As its a backup drive the 'quicker' usb2 makes no difference

news:dm02i3$p6n$(E-Mail Removed)...