Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I crop/trim a widescreen mpg into a 4:3 mpg ?

How do I crop/trim a widescreen mpg into a 4:3 mpg ?

English Patient

I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
from digital TV

The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
thus also widescreen

My monitor is (normal) 4:3,

and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen

ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the screen

Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim the
LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.

When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the top
of the screen,
I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black bars.

Any ideas.

EP.

ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer already.

Bill P

"English Patient" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
> from digital TV
>
> The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
> thus also widescreen
>
> My monitor is (normal) 4:3,
>
> and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen
>
> ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the screen
>
> Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim the
> LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.
>
> When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the top
> of the screen,
> I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black bars.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> EP.
>
> ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer already.

Can't you just change the aspect ratio in the program you are using to view
the recording ?
Regards
Bill

English Patient

"Bill P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dlvjpi$tbr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "English Patient" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
>> from digital TV
>>
>> The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
>> thus also widescreen
>>
>> My monitor is (normal) 4:3,
>>
>> and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen
>>
>> ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the screen
>>
>> Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim the
>> LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.
>>
>> When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the top
>> of the screen,
>> I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black bars.
>>
>> Any ideas.
>>
>> EP.
>>
>> ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer already.
>>

> Can't you just change the aspect ratio in the program you are using to
> view the recording ?
> Regards
> Bill

Nope

fred-bloggs

"English Patient" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
> from digital TV
>
> The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
> thus also widescreen
>
> My monitor is (normal) 4:3,
> and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen
> ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the
> screen
>
> Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim
> the LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg
> file.
>
> When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the
> top of the screen,
> I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black
> bars.

VLC is a video player which has a crop video filter which will do what
you require on playback, you need to enter the dimensions you require.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc

--
fred

John Inzer

English Patient wrote:
> I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV
> Card,
> from digital TV
>
> The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the
> resultant mpg file is thus also widescreen
>
> My monitor is (normal) 4:3,
>
> and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen
>
> ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS
> of the screen
>
> Is their any video editing package you know of which will
> let me trim the LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so
> turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.
>
> When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black
> bars at the top of the screen,
> I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove
> these black bars.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> EP.
>
> ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer
> already.

Maybe the following links
will be useful:

Rotating and Cropping