Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I have a networking question.

I have a networking question.

Marc

I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top on
the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top does
not have a floppy drive so I have never been able to finishing the
networking "solution" on the computer running XP is that the problem?

Marc

old man

From my recollection the winxp network floppy can only be used on another
winxp sys, I know it cannot be run on a win2k sys.

"Marc" <mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:NmFgf.4081$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
> running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top on
> the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top
> does
> not have a floppy drive so I have never been able to finishing the
> networking "solution" on the computer running XP is that the problem?
>
> Marc

Marc

I have trouble connecting from the 98SE machine to the XP machine but not
the opposite.

Marc

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dsHgf.1032$(E-Mail Removed)...
> From my recollection the winxp network floppy can only be used on another
> winxp sys, I know it cannot be run on a win2k sys.
>
> "Marc" <mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:NmFgf.4081$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> >I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
> > running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top

on
> > the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top
> > does
> > not have a floppy drive so I have never been able to finishing the
> > networking "solution" on the computer running XP is that the problem?
> >
> > Marc

Mike Easter

Marc wrote:

> I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
> running XP.

> the desktop does not see the lap
> top on the network

You have to configure the laptop for shares if you want the desktop to
see its files.

Both need to be able to see the network neighborhood, both need to be
logged on as a client with either windows logon or family logon, and
both have to have some kind of protocol bindings to the network.

What happens when you run the network troubleshooter? It sounds like
you need to use the Win98 troubleshooter on the desktop.

--
Mike Easter

why?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:50:37 GMT, "Marc"
<mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote:

(N_O-S_P_A_M) is on the wrong side of the @.

>I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
>running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top on
>the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top does

Does not see how, you didn't give much away.

Can't map a share, can't ping by IP address or by name.

The IP addresses are manually entered static, maybe even dynamic
allocation from a router that you use to share your connection. Maybe
it's ISC you are using, or maybe it's some other sharing app or not.

>not have a floppy drive so I have never been able to finishing the
>networking "solution" on the computer running XP is that the problem?

Windows PCs store a local name table and advertise thier ability to do
so. It's something like -
NT4, Win 2000 , XP , Win 2003 in that order, it sometimes helps to turn
on the PC with the newer OS first.

Me

why?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:25:39 GMT, "Marc"
<mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I have trouble connecting from the 98SE machine to the XP machine but not
>the opposite.

Logon to the 98SE with an account that (same name/password that you
already created) that exists on the XP box. You didn't say if you did
this.

>Marc
>
>"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dsHgf.1032$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> From my recollection the winxp network floppy can only be used on another
>> winxp sys, I know it cannot be run on a win2k sys.
>>
>> "Marc" <mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> news:NmFgf.4081$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>> >I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
>> > running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top

>on
>> > the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top

<snip>

Me

Marc

Both computers are set to share the folders. I using Family log on for the
98SE machine. If I retreive and transfer a file off the 98SE machine to the
XP suddenly the XP shows up on the network.

Marc

news:438356b4$0$84164$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Marc wrote:
>
> > I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
> > running XP.

> > the desktop does not see the lap
> > top on the network

> You have to configure the laptop for shares if you want the desktop to
> see its files.
>
> Both need to be able to see the network neighborhood, both need to be
> logged on as a client with either windows logon or family logon, and
> both have to have some kind of protocol bindings to the network.
>
> What happens when you run the network troubleshooter? It sounds like
> you need to use the Win98 troubleshooter on the desktop.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Marc wrote:
> Both computers are set to share the folders. I using Family log on
> for the 98SE machine. If I retreive and transfer a file off the 98SE
> machine to the XP suddenly the XP shows up on the network.

Some firewalls function by blocking anything which hasn't been recently
contacted

--
Mike Easter

Luke

"Marc" <mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
>running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top on
>the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top does
>not have a floppy drive so I have never been able to finishing the
>networking "solution" on the computer running XP is that the problem?
>
>Marc

Copper.net has the best network support for beginners.

Took it for a test run recently and wouldn't recommend anyone else.
Called tech support no less than 5 times, and got a person on the line
w/in 120sec every single time during the 3 mo. trial period.

I don't use it, and I don't work for them. But, they carry the usenet
and I've recommended this ISP to family on dial-up.

They've been tested.

Luke