Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mac mini and Dell Inspiron 6000 connected to router; Mac can browse, Dell can't

Mac mini and Dell Inspiron 6000 connected to router; Mac can browse, Dell can't

Adam

Hello friends.
For some reason, my dell laptop cannot browse the Internet, while my
mac mini can. They are both hooked to a network everywhere (linksys)
router. Any ideas?

Things I have tried;
ipconfig /release =sucessful
ipconfig /renew =sucessful
ping =sucessful
uninstall/reinstall network adapter =sucessful

Thanks in advance!

Bruce T. Berger

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello friends.
> For some reason, my dell laptop cannot browse the Internet, while my
> mac mini can. They are both hooked to a network everywhere (linksys)
> router. Any ideas?
>
> Things I have tried;
> ipconfig /release =sucessful
> ipconfig /renew =sucessful
> ping =sucessful
> uninstall/reinstall network adapter =sucessful
>
> Thanks in advance!

Try assigning a fixed ip to the Dell. (choose any one between 192.168.1.2
and 99) .Use the router's ip as the default gateway (192.168.1.1) and your
actual primary and secondary dns numbers (these are available on the status
page of the router which is available when you point your browser to the
router ip... the default login is user name left blank and for the password
use admin).

btb

Adam

Thanks for the reply! In my router's settings, it obtains dns
automatically, therefore, I do not know the dns numbers.

George

> Hello friends.
> For some reason, my dell laptop cannot browse the Internet, while my
> mac mini can. They are both hooked to a network everywhere (linksys)
> router. Any ideas?
>
> Things I have tried;
> ipconfig /release =sucessful
> ipconfig /renew =sucessful
> ping =sucessful
> uninstall/reinstall network adapter =sucessful
>
> Thanks in advance!

I had a similar issue, where a Windows 98 PC couldn't access the
internet, but a Windows XP machine could. I resolved this by turning off
UPnP. After upgrading the routers firmware, the Windows 98 PC was fine
with UPnP turned on. The router was a BT Voyager 2100

George