Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook Express Question: Re Attaching A "Main" Folder To An e-Mail (with sub folders & files in it) ?

Outlook Express Question: Re Attaching A "Main" Folder To An e-Mail (with sub folders & files in it) ?

Robert11

Hello:

Using OE 6 and XP

Would like to Attach a "main" Folder (via Insert/File Attachment) containing
a bunch of individual files, and also a few sub-folders with some some
additional files. About 400K in total.

Won't allow me to; apparently OE wants me to select individual files to
Attach.

Any way of Attaching the complete "main" folder ?

Thanks,
Bob

Mike Easter

Robert11 wrote:

> Would like to Attach a "main" Folder (via Insert/File Attachment)
> containing a bunch of individual files, and also a few sub-folders
> with some some additional files. About 400K in total.

You are interested in sending a collection of files and directory
structure/s and preserving those filenames and directory structure.

> Won't allow me to; apparently OE wants me to select individual files
> to Attach.

Correct.

> Any way of Attaching the complete "main" folder ?

Sort of. One of the purposes of archiving utilities is not only to
'compress' or to make the structure more efficient for transmitting, but
it is also to be able to both retain the structure of the archiving
process as well as an 'integrity checker' to be sure that everything
that was sent got to the destination in the same condition.

You would use some kind of archiving tool to archive and compress the
files and folders and retain their path/directory structures which would
also be compatible or consistent with your recipient's capabilities.

If you recipient doesn't even know what a .zip file is, then you would
create a self-extracting archive.

Use your archiver on your collection of files and end up with a single
file which will turn back into the structure you sent after it is
received and decompressed/dearchived, unzipped.

Zip is one such format, there are others which are 'better' in one way
or another.

--
Mike Easter