Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Old Laptop RAM Upgrade?

Old Laptop RAM Upgrade?

Jack Barrett

I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great except
that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more years!
Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.

Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2

I have 2 questions:

1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?

2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?

I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack - Home Grown Hack

Toolman Tim

In news:h9Off.13735$(E-Mail Removed),
Jack Barrett spewed forth:
> I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great
> except that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
> I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more
> years! Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
>
> Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
>
> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
>
> I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack - Home Grown Hack

Do ya think the freakin' MODEL of the laptop *might* be a helpful tidbit of
info?

Geez...

Try www.crucial.com

--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Duane Arnold

www.crucial.com is the way to go. You just enter the required information
and the site will tell you what is needed or you call them and a tech will
tell you what is needed.

Duane

Plato

Jack Barrett wrote:

> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
>
> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?

call 18004memory

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Meat Plow

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:01:33 +0000, Jack Barrett wrote:

> I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great except
> that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
> I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more years!
> Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
>
> Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
>
> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
>
> I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack - Home Grown Hack

It runs slow because it is slow to begin with. Dumoing more ram isn't
going to make it fast expecially if the kids are used to a P4

Jack Barrett

Sorry for not adding the Model # - Compaq Armada 7770

I know it's slow to begin with....but when every member of our family may be
online.....it helps to have this laptop for AIM, internet & homework.

Many thanks for the help

jack the home grown hack

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h9Off.13735$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great except
>that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
> I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more years!
> Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
>
> Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
>
> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
>
> I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack - Home Grown Hack

Jack Barrett

Hey Duane,

The Crucial.com web site said they do not carry RAM for this laptop.
=(

Thanks anyway.

jack

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h9Off.13735$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great except
>that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
> I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more years!
> Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
>
> Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
>
> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
>
> I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack - Home Grown Hack

Duane Arnold

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:01:33 +0000, Jack Barrett wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great
>> except that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
>> I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more
>> years! Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
>>
>> Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium
>> 2
>>
>> I have 2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
>>
>> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
>>
>> I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jack - Home Grown Hack

> It runs slow because it is slow to begin with. Dumoing more ram isn't
> going to make it fast expecially if the kids are used to a P4

Do let me find a better way of <PLONKING> you.

<g>

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Jack Barrett wrote:
> Sorry for not adding the Model # - Compaq Armada 7770
>
> I know it's slow to begin with....but when every member of our family may be
> online.....it helps to have this laptop for AIM, internet & homework.

I don't meant to be rude, but I wouldn't spend much on upgrading that
laptop, the money would be better spent getting a newer laptop. But
anyhow, that model uses EDO SoDIMM RAM, and I'd stay with sticks that
are specified for that model Compaq. Compaq used to use parts that were
extremely proprietary and charged an arm and a leg for said parts. I'm
sure it contributed to them having to sell out to HP.

Here's some eBay results:
http://tinyurl.com/d4fy4
http://tinyurl.com/8aqcd

Note that you'd better look up the specs on your computer before
ordering as far as the maximum amount of memory it can handle and any
other specs that might affect the purchase.

Martik

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h9Off.13735$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great except
>that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
> I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more years!
> Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
>
> Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
>
> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
>
> I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack - Home Grown Hack

Sell it on ebay for approx $100 and buy a PIII 700 with 256mb or so for
another $100