Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > license problem

license problem

Steven C.

here's a question out of MCSE but i guess u guys might know it...

let's say: i've got windows 2000 server + 10 CALs
can i install the server on 2 different server and load balance the 10 cals?

Leon

no, you can't install the w2k-server on two server cause
you have only 1 w2k-server-cd and one registration-key.
You need to purchase a second one.

Sorry for my bad english.

Leon

Marko

No is the right answer but not explained very well.

The media is not your only problem. In plain english, the
End User License Agreement (EULA) states that it is
granted for a single chassis and is non transferrable. In
other words, most of the OS licenses we buy today are
affixed to the original chassis and are retired when the
machine is retired. We cannot transfer the license to
that brand new mainboard, CPU and case we just bought from
our favourite parts reseller and retire the old stuff via
EBay.

Because the license is non transferrable, it implies a
single (original, one time) chassis installation.

The Client Access Licenses (CALs) are additional to the
chassis license, granted to operate concurrently with the
OS license. Hence, you cannot say "I have two licensed
servers so I can connect up to 20 clients between the two
machines because I have 2 lots of 10 CALs". This is where
per server licensing (rather than per seat) is sometimes
not a good option.

The 120 day type license you find with Windows Advanced
Server in the MS Press kits can be installed many times,
but only once concurrently, legally.

KLXrider

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:37:42 -0400, "Steven C."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>here's a question out of MCSE but i guess u guys might know it...
>
>let's say: i've got windows 2000 server + 10 CALs
>can i install the server on 2 different server and load balance the 10 cals?

no

KLXrider, MCNGP #18

Samir Patel

No. The Server licence and the CALs are independent of
each other. You need a seperate Server licence for every
computer Server is installed on.

can only be installed on a single computer.

Oli Restorick [MVP]

You are talking about OEM licenses with respect to non-transferability.
Retail licenses do not have this restriction.

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:08c501c35d9f$c6629ac0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No is the right answer but not explained very well.
>
> The media is not your only problem. In plain english, the
> End User License Agreement (EULA) states that it is
> granted for a single chassis and is non transferrable. In
> other words, most of the OS licenses we buy today are
> affixed to the original chassis and are retired when the
> machine is retired. We cannot transfer the license to
> that brand new mainboard, CPU and case we just bought from
> our favourite parts reseller and retire the old stuff via
> EBay.
>
> Because the license is non transferrable, it implies a
> single (original, one time) chassis installation.
>
> The Client Access Licenses (CALs) are additional to the
> chassis license, granted to operate concurrently with the
> OS license. Hence, you cannot say "I have two licensed
> servers so I can connect up to 20 clients between the two
> machines because I have 2 lots of 10 CALs". This is where
> per server licensing (rather than per seat) is sometimes
> not a good option.
>
> The 120 day type license you find with Windows Advanced
> Server in the MS Press kits can be installed many times,
> but only once concurrently, legally.

George Kroonder

Yes... If you purchase/have two Windows Server licenses,
you don't need additional CAL's. Microsoft's licensing
allows devices with a CAL to access any number of servers
when the servers run in "Per Seat" licensing mode (as
opposed to "Per Server").

In "Per Server" mode, you could say that CAL's are 'bound'
to the server as concurrent connections.

"Per Seat" allows a device (or user, depending on
licensing and product) with a CAL to access any number of
servers (within a organisation).

You can switch (one time only) between "Per Server"
and "Per Seat" in the licensing control panel.

The preffered licensing type is "Per Seat", especially if
you have more than one server. Use "Per Server" licenses
only for verry (aplication specific) servers, or not at
all.

Remember that the server license is seperate and all
servers must be licensed too.

Even with OEM licenses, you can run the server in "Per
Seat" mode, where your licenses are pooled.

Two OEM Server licenses with 5 CAL's each would allow you
connect 10 clients to both these servers as long as you
run both the servers in "Per Seat" licensing mode.

You are correct that the EULA for OEM licenses is bound to
a particular server. However, I suggest anyone to enroll
their OEM licenses in Software Assurance (SA), both to
keep it current and to extend their options.

Regards,
George.

Request for a downgrade from x64 OEM license to 32-bit OEM license =?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFdvbmcg6buD5rOT6YeP?= Windows 64bit 58 09-22-2005 11:33 PM
What license to choose for Python programs? (PSF License vs. GPL/LGPL) Volker Grabsch Python 2 07-25-2005 12:06 PM
License problem of VSS Grey ASP .Net 1 06-12-2004 02:45 PM
AVG License Problem Ben Lord Computer Support 5 05-01-2004 12:24 PM
Pix 501 VPN License Issue - Not freeing License Jens Haase Cisco 1 01-29-2004 08:29 PM

Advertisments