Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Changing signatures in Outlook 2003 with plain text?

Changing signatures in Outlook 2003 with plain text?

.

I use plain text, non-html for my message formatting in Outlook 2003.

To kludge using form letters, I have several "signatures" set up that
are actually full-blown messages. All I need to do is pick the
appropriate one, put a name after "Dear " and send the message.

A colleague has his default email set up for html messages. If he
starts a new message, he just right-clicks in the message window and a
context menu comes up with a choice of "change signature." I don't get
that option though with plain text.

What am I doing wrong? I can do a couple workarounds, but it's just
bugging me that I can't simply right-click and get the signature/message
that I'd like.

Mike Easter

.. wrote:
> I use plain text, non-html for my message formatting in Outlook 2003.

Good.

I don't use OL.

> To kludge using form letters, I have several "signatures" set up that
> are actually full-blown messages.

Why don't you make an OL template? You setup a newmail the way you like
it and saveas an .oft file. You can put it on your outlook bar.

There are also OL forms -- such as Personal forms.

--
Mike Easter

Spider

"." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use plain text, non-html for my message formatting in Outlook 2003.
>
> To kludge using form letters, I have several "signatures" set up that
> are actually full-blown messages. All I need to do is pick the
> appropriate one, put a name after "Dear " and send the message.
>
> A colleague has his default email set up for html messages. If he
> starts a new message, he just right-clicks in the message window and a
> context menu comes up with a choice of "change signature." I don't get
> that option though with plain text.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I can do a couple workarounds, but it's just
> bugging me that I can't simply right-click and get the signature/message
> that I'd like.

This won't be a direct answer to your question. I'll suggest that both of
you are missing a much better way to handle this then using signatures. You
should experiment a little with templates. Create a message with
everything in it that will not change, including subject lines. You can
even pre-address them or not. Once you have it the way you want it, click
File / Save As and choose the template option in the File Type drop down.
Save them in the folder of your choice. You can then use them over and over
again. You can also create a custom toolbar and add a shortcut to each
template on your tool bar. Simply click the button when you want to use the
template.

--

Spider

http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
http://spider1.blogspot.com/

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Your colleague is apparently using Word as his email editor, but you're not.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use plain text, non-html for my message formatting in Outlook 2003.
>
> To kludge using form letters, I have several "signatures" set up that
> are actually full-blown messages. All I need to do is pick the
> appropriate one, put a name after "Dear " and send the message.
>
> A colleague has his default email set up for html messages. If he
> starts a new message, he just right-clicks in the message window and a
> context menu comes up with a choice of "change signature." I don't get
> that option though with plain text.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I can do a couple workarounds, but it's just
> bugging me that I can't simply right-click and get the signature/message
> that I'd like.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I use plain text, non-html for my message formatting in Outlook 2003.
>
> To kludge using form letters, I have several "signatures" set up that
> are actually full-blown messages. All I need to do is pick the
> appropriate one, put a name after "Dear " and send the message.
>
> A colleague has his default email set up for html messages. If he
> starts a new message, he just right-clicks in the message window and a
> context menu comes up with a choice of "change signature." I don't get
> that option though with plain text.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I can do a couple workarounds, but it's just
> bugging me that I can't simply right-click and get the signature/message
> that I'd like.

It doesn't sound like you are doing any more work than he is.

It's not even clear from this that you are using the same program.

.

In article <181120051528298563%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I use plain text, non-html for my message formatting in Outlook 2003.
> >
> > To kludge using form letters, I have several "signatures" set up that
> > are actually full-blown messages. All I need to do is pick the
> > appropriate one, put a name after "Dear " and send the message.
> >
> > A colleague has his default email set up for html messages. If he
> > starts a new message, he just right-clicks in the message window and a
> > context menu comes up with a choice of "change signature." I don't get
> > that option though with plain text.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? I can do a couple workarounds, but it's just
> > bugging me that I can't simply right-click and get the signature/message
> > that I'd like.

> It doesn't sound like you are doing any more work than he is.
>
> It's not even clear from this that you are using the same program.

Whoa, my bad. We both use Outlook 2003 for email. When he right-clicks
in a message body while composing, he gets an option to change the
signature. When I right-click in a composing message, my context menu
is completely different from his.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Whoa, my bad. We both use Outlook 2003 for email. When he right-clicks
> in a message body while composing, he gets an option to change the
> signature. When I right-click in a composing message, my context menu
> is completely different from his.

Damn. That would have been the easy answer.
And it would get you away from Outlook.

Spider

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Your colleague is apparently using Word as his email editor, but you're not.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Wow, I'm impressed seeing you in this newsgroup. (bowing with hands raised)
I used to be a regular here, but can't claim that any more. Not sure how
long or how much you've been around, but this is one lucky group to have you
grace it's pages. Your website at slipstick is first on my list for
researching Outlook issues. Thanks for being there.

--
Sincerly (no sarcasm)
Spider

http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
http://spider1.blogspot.com/

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Glad you like the site, but it's been Diane Poremsky's, not mine, for nearly two years now.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:87wff.7524$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Wow, I'm impressed seeing you in this newsgroup. (bowing with hands raised)
> I used to be a regular here, but can't claim that any more. Not sure how
> long or how much you've been around, but this is one lucky group to have you
> grace it's pages. Your website at slipstick is first on my list for
> researching Outlook issues. Thanks for being there.
>
> --
> Sincerly (no sarcasm)
> Spider
>
> http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
> http://spider1.blogspot.com/

Spider

My apologies to Diane. I'll probably always associate that site to you.
That's where I first learned about you and your books. My starting point is
usually at http://www.slipstick.com/user.htm as I focus on the end user
support and only get involved with the Exchange server side as it affects
the Outlook client. I usually hit the site, search and leave. I know I've
learned a whole lot about Outlook from you.