Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB External Hard Drive letter disignation

USB External Hard Drive letter disignation

Me/PDX

I have question concerning my hard drive (Maxtor 120G 8M 7200/133) which
I now have in a External Hard Drive Enclosure.
The question/issue is quite detailed so please read carefully and I hope
you can be patient with me.
Using XP Home Edition.
My default drives are A: Floppy C: Main Hard Drive E: Zip
Drive
Although I have (2) empty 1.1 USB ports I use ONLY ONE for several
devices and plug in and unplug them as I use them (because I have a USB
cable that sticks out in fromt of my desk).

When I plug in my Iomega 40GB Portable Hard Drive...this shows up as a
drive under My Computer....Iomega_HHD (F
When I plug in my Lexar Jump Drive the drive is Public (F shows up
When I plug in my Kodak Card Reader the drive is Removable Disk (F
When I plug in my digital cd card disk into the kodak card
reader the drives...are Removable Disk (H; Removable Disk (I; Removable
Disk (J
When I plug in my digital sd card disk into the kodak card
reader the drives...are Removable Disk (H; Kodak (I; Removable Disk
Removable Disk (J

My question is that if I give my external hard drive the default letter
(F [or maybe I could make it (D? I don't know] than when I
unplug the external drive and plug another device into that port will the
(F still show up as useable Removable Disk (F or will (F be hidden?
Will the other devices function under (F?
The reason I want to use only this one single port for ALL these variou
devices is because I simply don't want to leave them pluged in all the time.
I store the devices in other places to have them out of the way and for
security.
Or do you simply recommend I use one of my 2 empty USB 1.1 ports
dedicated solely to my external hard drive?

Thanks for your consideration and assistance,

P.S. As you can see I have not as of yet given this drive a designated
drive letter

PJB

"Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cgeff.592$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> My question is that if I give my external hard drive the default letter
> (F [or maybe I could make it (D? I don't know] than when I
> unplug the external drive and plug another device into that port will the
> (F still show up as useable Removable Disk (F or will (F be hidden?
> Will the other devices function under (F?
> The reason I want to use only this one single port for ALL these

variou
> devices is because I simply don't want to leave them pluged in all the

time.
> I store the devices in other places to have them out of the way and for
> security.
> Or do you simply recommend I use one of my 2 empty USB 1.1 ports
> dedicated solely to my external hard drive?
>
> Thanks for your consideration and assistance,
>
> P.S. As you can see I have not as of yet given this drive a designated
> drive letter

Windows allocates drive letters as it sees the drive appear, I don't think
it will matter what drive letter YOU assign it, Windows will pick its own

Having said that, there's only one way to know for sure

P.

SUMMONER

Windows will always try to use the drive letter you originally assigned,
if that is not possible (letter is in use by another drive) it will pick
the first not used drive letter instead.
Next time you connect the drive and the "chosen drive letter" is
available it will use it again automatically.

You can assign specific drive letters via...
- right click "my computer", then click "manage"
- left hand menu select "disk manager"
- right hand side find the drive you would like to change the letter for
- right click the "long white box" with the drives name/capacity/current
drive letter and click "change drive letter and path" and pick another
one of your choice.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards

Malte

Me/PDX wrote:
> I have question concerning my hard drive (Maxtor 120G 8M 7200/133) which
> I now have in a External Hard Drive Enclosure.
> The question/issue is quite detailed so please read carefully and I hope
> you can be patient with me.
> Using XP Home Edition.
> My default drives are A: Floppy C: Main Hard Drive E: Zip
> Drive
> Although I have (2) empty 1.1 USB ports I use ONLY ONE for several
> devices and plug in and unplug them as I use them (because I have a USB
> cable that sticks out in fromt of my desk).
>
> When I plug in my Iomega 40GB Portable Hard Drive...this shows up as a
> drive under My Computer....Iomega_HHD (F
> When I plug in my Lexar Jump Drive the drive is Public (F shows up
> When I plug in my Kodak Card Reader the drive is Removable Disk (F
> When I plug in my digital cd card disk into the kodak card
> reader the drives...are Removable Disk (H; Removable Disk (I; Removable
> Disk (J
> When I plug in my digital sd card disk into the kodak card
> reader the drives...are Removable Disk (H; Kodak (I; Removable Disk
> Removable Disk (J
>
> My question is that if I give my external hard drive the default letter
> (F [or maybe I could make it (D? I don't know] than when I
> unplug the external drive and plug another device into that port will the
> (F still show up as useable Removable Disk (F or will (F be hidden?
> Will the other devices function under (F?
> The reason I want to use only this one single port for ALL these variou
> devices is because I simply don't want to leave them pluged in all the time.
> I store the devices in other places to have them out of the way and for
> security.
> Or do you simply recommend I use one of my 2 empty USB 1.1 ports
> dedicated solely to my external hard drive?
>
> Thanks for your consideration and assistance,
>
> P.S. As you can see I have not as of yet given this drive a designated
> drive letter

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
PJB spewed forth:
> "Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cgeff.592$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> My question is that if I give my external hard drive the default
>> letter (F [or maybe I could make it (D? I don't know]
>> than when I unplug the external drive and plug another device into
>> that port will the (F still show up as useable Removable Disk (F
>> or will (F be hidden? Will the other devices function under (F?
>> The reason I want to use only this one single port for ALL these
>> variou devices is because I simply don't want to leave them pluged
>> in all the time. I store the devices in other places to have them
>> out of the way and for security.
>> Or do you simply recommend I use one of my 2 empty USB 1.1 ports
>> dedicated solely to my external hard drive?
>>
>> Thanks for your consideration and assistance,
>>
>> P.S. As you can see I have not as of yet given this drive a
>> designated drive letter
>>

> Windows allocates drive letters as it sees the drive appear, I don't
> think it will matter what drive letter YOU assign it, Windows will
> pick its own
> Having said that, there's only one way to know for sure
>
> P.

That used to be the case, but in XP I often change my drive letters. My
external USB is now G:, and everytime I plug it in, it comes back as G:.

like an idiot.

Toolman Tim

In news:cgeff.592$(E-Mail Removed),
Me/PDX spewed forth:
> I have question concerning my hard drive (Maxtor 120G 8M 7200/133)
> which I now have in a External Hard Drive Enclosure.
> The question/issue is quite detailed so please read carefully and
> I hope you can be patient with me.
> Using XP Home Edition.
> My default drives are A: Floppy C: Main Hard Drive E:
> Zip Drive
> Although I have (2) empty 1.1 USB ports I use ONLY ONE for several
> devices and plug in and unplug them as I use them (because I have a
> USB cable that sticks out in fromt of my desk).
>
> When I plug in my Iomega 40GB Portable Hard Drive...this shows up
> as a drive under My Computer....Iomega_HHD (F
> When I plug in my Lexar Jump Drive the drive is Public (F shows
> up When I plug in my Kodak Card Reader the drive is Removable Disk
> (F When I plug in my digital cd card disk into the kodak
> card
> reader the drives...are Removable Disk (H; Removable Disk (I;
> Removable Disk (J
> When I plug in my digital sd card disk into the kodak card
> reader the drives...are Removable Disk (H; Kodak (I; Removable
> Disk Removable Disk (J
>
> My question is that if I give my external hard drive the default
> letter (F [or maybe I could make it (D? I don't know]
> than when I unplug the external drive and plug another device into
> that port will the (F still show up as useable Removable Disk (F
> or will (F be hidden? Will the other devices function under (F?
> The reason I want to use only this one single port for ALL these
> variou devices is because I simply don't want to leave them pluged in
> all the time. I store the devices in other places to have them out of
> the way and for security.
> Or do you simply recommend I use one of my 2 empty USB 1.1 ports
> dedicated solely to my external hard drive?

I'd suggest you get USB 2 if you don't already have it. Your external drive
will be much more efficient.

You can rename all those "drives". Or remove the names of the ones you don't
use. For instance, I only have CompactFlash memory, so I don't use the SD
slot or the others in my card reader. I removed the drive letters so they
don't show in My Computer all the time.

like an idiot.