Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HP Laserjet 2820 - Install Problem

HP Laserjet 2820 - Install Problem

joshnruth@gmail.com

Hey Intelligence,

We got a problem. We have four workstations (workgroup, NOT domain).
All are P4 2.8Ghz or greater (512Mb minumum), Windows XP Professional
SP2.
All workstations are sitting off a wireless access point (Dlink
DWL-2000+), which provides them access to the internet and printers.

We have recently purchased a HP LJ Colour 2820.

First time round it installed ok. We had one little problem.
We couldn't print!, BUt HP Support said to alter the port tab (in
printer config) to the ip address of the printer instead of the Port
name. It worked. no problems!

BUT THEN!!!

We tried to use a little button on top of the scanner which is called
"SCAN TO" it enables one to scan documents straight to the workstation.
Great! THis is why we bought it!

However when we pressed the little button and selected a workstation
(manually preconfigured), an error would appear on the screen of the
computer we wanted to recieve images, and it would say something to the
effect of it had trouble initialising scanner etc. and something about
a communication issue.

Things I noticed:
1.) The HP device can talk to the computer (thus the error would not
display).
2.) The Computer can print to the HP Device.
3.) The HP Device can scan and copy, in black and colour, but the "SCAN
TO" function results in the above mentioned error on the said computer.

4.) The computer gets an error if it tries to use a TWAIN type scan
(say in paintbrush). Very similar to the one seen when using scanTO.
5.) All software firewalls have been disabled.
6.) All antivirus software has been disabled.
7.) All anti-spyware software has been uninstalled.

As a result we uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall. It
worked but then all of a sudden on all the computers we started seeing,
A LOOP.

The LOOP:
During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
connect to the printer..

We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).

We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.

This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
software install.

HP doesnt know what to do, they can't figure it out, this is week 2,
without any progress..

Anyone with ideas? A breif summary of the problem is listed below.

2.) We can't reinstall the software.

Cheers and Thankyou in advance,

Josh Mitchell

true186@gmail.com

My guess is its a hardware or software problem with the printer.
Otherwise the HP software should be able to talk to its own hardware
and install correctly.

Probably what ever should be sent by the printer , for the twain thing,
is brocken.
If it is under warrenty take it back try another one. This way you
know if its your systems hardware conficting some how, or this one
printer that is brocken.

> Hey Intelligence,
>
> We got a problem. We have four workstations (workgroup, NOT domain).
> All are P4 2.8Ghz or greater (512Mb minumum), Windows XP Professional
> SP2.
> All workstations are sitting off a wireless access point (Dlink
> DWL-2000+), which provides them access to the internet and printers.
>
> We have recently purchased a HP LJ Colour 2820.
>
> First time round it installed ok. We had one little problem.
> We couldn't print!, BUt HP Support said to alter the port tab (in
> printer config) to the ip address of the printer instead of the Port
> name. It worked. no problems!
>
> BUT THEN!!!
>
> We tried to use a little button on top of the scanner which is called
> "SCAN TO" it enables one to scan documents straight to the workstation.
> Great! THis is why we bought it!
>
> However when we pressed the little button and selected a workstation
> (manually preconfigured), an error would appear on the screen of the
> computer we wanted to recieve images, and it would say something to the
> effect of it had trouble initialising scanner etc. and something about
> a communication issue.
>
> Things I noticed:
> 1.) The HP device can talk to the computer (thus the error would not
> display).
> 2.) The Computer can print to the HP Device.
> 3.) The HP Device can scan and copy, in black and colour, but the "SCAN
> TO" function results in the above mentioned error on the said computer.
>
> 4.) The computer gets an error if it tries to use a TWAIN type scan
> (say in paintbrush). Very similar to the one seen when using scanTO.
> 5.) All software firewalls have been disabled.
> 6.) All antivirus software has been disabled.
> 7.) All anti-spyware software has been uninstalled.
>
> As a result we uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall. It
> worked but then all of a sudden on all the computers we started seeing,
> A LOOP.
>
> The LOOP:
> During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
> connect to the printer..
>
> We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
> Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
> even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).
>
> We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
> then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
> back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
> we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.
>
> This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
> software install.
>
> HP doesnt know what to do, they can't figure it out, this is week 2,
> without any progress..
>
> Anyone with ideas? A breif summary of the problem is listed below.

> 2.) We can't reinstall the software.
>

> Cheers and Thankyou in advance,
>
> Josh Mitchell

Walter Mautner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hey Intelligence,
>
> We got a problem. We have four workstations (workgroup, NOT domain).
> All are P4 2.8Ghz or greater (512Mb minumum), Windows XP Professional
> SP2.
> All workstations are sitting off a wireless access point (Dlink
> DWL-2000+), which provides them access to the internet and printers.
>
> We have recently purchased a HP LJ Colour 2820.
>
> First time round it installed ok. We had one little problem.
> We couldn't print!, BUt HP Support said to alter the port tab (in
> printer config) to the ip address of the printer instead of the Port
> name. It worked. no problems!
>
> BUT THEN!!!
>
> We tried to use a little button on top of the scanner which is called
> "SCAN TO" it enables one to scan documents straight to the workstation.
> Great! THis is why we bought it!
>
> However when we pressed the little button and selected a workstation
> (manually preconfigured), an error would appear on the screen of the
> computer we wanted to recieve images, and it would say something to the
> effect of it had trouble initialising scanner etc. and something about
> a communication issue.
>
> Things I noticed:
> 1.) The HP device can talk to the computer (thus the error would not
> display).
> 2.) The Computer can print to the HP Device.
> 3.) The HP Device can scan and copy, in black and colour, but the "SCAN
> TO" function results in the above mentioned error on the said computer.
>
> 4.) The computer gets an error if it tries to use a TWAIN type scan
> (say in paintbrush). Very similar to the one seen when using scanTO.
> 5.) All software firewalls have been disabled.
> 6.) All antivirus software has been disabled.
> 7.) All anti-spyware software has been uninstalled.
>
> As a result we uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall. It
> worked but then all of a sudden on all the computers we started seeing,
> A LOOP.
>
> The LOOP:
> During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
> connect to the printer..
>
> We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
> Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
> even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).
>
> We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
> then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
> back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
> we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.
>
> This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
> software install.
> Can you ping the printers IP address from the workstations?

Since the DWL-2000+ is actually a router, it probably also works as a dhcp
server. Maybe the ip address it assigns to the printer has changed (lease
expired) in the meantime, while the xp clients still hold the old address
in their cache and fail when actually trying to access the printer through
it.
You may want to test
- if you can ping your printer by ip address
- if you can setup the router to provide a fixed ip to the printer by MAC
- if "ipconfig /all" on the windows clients shows the same network, subnet
mask and default gateway on all of them

SUMMONER

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen an HP printer/scanner
combo that could send scans to a computer via Ethernet, using a twain
driver/front panel controls.

On the better OfficeJets HP implemented a Java applet (integrated into
the print server's administration webpage) to by-pass the lack of this
feature.
One types the printer's IP address into Internet Explorer and logs into
the configuration console. From here one can do a preview and then do a
colour/greyscale scan which will be saved as picture file (can't
remember format) on the desktop.

I am not aware that the scan to function/twain function work with
anything but the USB/Parallel connections.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Malte

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>The LOOP:
>>During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
>>connect to the printer..
>>
>>We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
>>Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
>>even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).
>>
>>We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
>>then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
>>back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
>>we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.
>>
>>This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
>>software install.
>>
>>HP doesnt know what to do, they can't figure it out, this is week 2,
>>without any progress..
>>
>>Anyone with ideas? A breif summary of the problem is listed below.

SUMMONER

Looks like I am out of date.

Having had a look on the support website, there's a tool available for
download, which apparently addresses some configuration issues in
regards to network scanning.

Looking a little closer at the print-scanners specifications, it states
that it can even scan directly to a network share. Sounds like a very
nice piece of equipment (going by the specs).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228

Kind Regards

Malte

SUMMONER wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> The LOOP:
>>> During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
>>> connect to the printer..
>>>
>>> We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
>>> Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
>>> even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).
>>>
>>> We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
>>> then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
>>> back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
>>> we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.
>>>
>>> This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
>>> software install.
>>>
>>> HP doesnt know what to do, they can't figure it out, this is week 2,
>>> without any progress..
>>>
>>> Anyone with ideas? A breif summary of the problem is listed below.

PC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hey Intelligence,
>
> We got a problem. We have four workstations (workgroup, NOT domain).
> All are P4 2.8Ghz or greater (512Mb minumum), Windows XP Professional
> SP2.
> All workstations are sitting off a wireless access point (Dlink
> DWL-2000+), which provides them access to the internet and printers.
>
> We have recently purchased a HP LJ Colour 2820.
>
> First time round it installed ok. We had one little problem.
> We couldn't print!, BUt HP Support said to alter the port tab (in
> printer config) to the ip address of the printer instead of the Port
> name. It worked. no problems!
>
> BUT THEN!!!
>
> We tried to use a little button on top of the scanner which is called
> "SCAN TO" it enables one to scan documents straight to the workstation.
> Great! THis is why we bought it!
>
> However when we pressed the little button and selected a workstation
> (manually preconfigured), an error would appear on the screen of the
> computer we wanted to recieve images, and it would say something to the
> effect of it had trouble initialising scanner etc. and something about
> a communication issue.
>
> Things I noticed:
> 1.) The HP device can talk to the computer (thus the error would not
> display).
> 2.) The Computer can print to the HP Device.
> 3.) The HP Device can scan and copy, in black and colour, but the "SCAN
> TO" function results in the above mentioned error on the said computer.
>
> 4.) The computer gets an error if it tries to use a TWAIN type scan
> (say in paintbrush). Very similar to the one seen when using scanTO.
> 5.) All software firewalls have been disabled.
> 6.) All antivirus software has been disabled.
> 7.) All anti-spyware software has been uninstalled.
>
> As a result we uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall. It
> worked but then all of a sudden on all the computers we started seeing,
> A LOOP.
>
> The LOOP:
> During the install all went well until it asked you how you want to
> connect to the printer..
>
> We say NOT USB, but lets connect DIRECT via the network.
> Ok, lets scan it says. WOW we found the HP Device.. it declares.. (it
> even displays the Ip address of the HP Device).
>
> We say: thats the one we want. Click next to accept. WAIT WAIT WAIT.
> then when you think it will go to the next stage GUESS WHAT! It goes
> back to the start of the wizard.. THE LOOP. Now we have to decide how
> we are going to connect to the HP Device ... ALL OVER AGAIN.
>
> This is rediculous and we can't get past it short of cancelling the
> software install.
>
> HP doesnt know what to do, they can't figure it out, this is week 2,
> without any progress..
>
> Anyone with ideas? A breif summary of the problem is listed below.

> 2.) We can't reinstall the software.
>

> Cheers and Thankyou in advance,
>
> Josh Mitchell

Josh

I installed the software for a HP Dxxxx something a while ago that had that
'scan to' feature'
It was to a two PC LAN and though I remember it worked, it was flakey to say
the least.

Two suggestions 1) get the absolute latest drivers from HP's website, 2) set
up a single PC with a freshly installed OS (no AV etc) and connect it to the
HP via a Crossover cable, then see what happens.

The only other suggestion I can offer is to scrape the darkest corners of
HP's website.
I once spent the best part of two days trying to get a new DJ5000 series
Printer working, half of it on the phone to HP's support.
Despite it working OK on another PC, HP eventually declared 'send it back'
As it happened it this was late Friday and it was left till Monday.
Saturday I did such a troll thru HP's website and came up with a bulletin
that pointed to a driver conflict with earlier model HP printer drivers.
That was the answer, why HP's 'support' didn't have reference to that I
don't know, but yer gotta wonder.

Cheers
Paul.

Figured out the CVSM! Thanks. -- VSM Corrupt on 2820, no IOS avail, but it is needed Arcadia Cisco 1 02-07-2007 01:22 AM
Q: Where is the Catalyst 1900/2820 Enterprise Edition Software image on CCO? Voitec Cisco 1 06-01-2005 05:49 AM
cisco 2820 firmware Nikolay Arbuzov Cisco 0 11-20-2003 01:39 AM
Catalyst 2820 Michael Petereit Cisco 1 10-17-2003 07:18 PM
Cisco 2820 Switch Console Issues Will Cisco 0 10-15-2003 01:44 PM

Advertisments