Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: What to do, what to do

OT: What to do, what to do

Kendal Emery

Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.

I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to work
on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix, and I
am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had any
input.

The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
Computer Information Systems.

The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start my
own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am doing
now, just at a larger level.

I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really like
the hands on stuff.

So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
remove me to email to me

Consultant

personally, i majored in under water basket weaving and minored in weight
training. i am signing up with uop also, they have a good setup. go for the
mba

--
Consultant, MCNGP Founding Father
www.mcngp.tk

"Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.
>
> I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to

work
> on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix, and

> am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had any
> input.
>
> The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
> Computer Information Systems.
>
> The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start

my
> own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am doing
> now, just at a larger level.
>
> I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really

like
> the hands on stuff.
>
> So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?

> Systems Administrator
> Coordinated Home Care
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove me to email to me

billyw

MBA..
i'm half way thru mine and certainly there is a lot that is relevant in
running your own company in it as you can usually relate it to life
experiences..

"Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.
>
> I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to

work
> on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix, and

> am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had any
> input.
>
> The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
> Computer Information Systems.
>
> The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start

my
> own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am doing
> now, just at a larger level.
>
> I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really

like
> the hands on stuff.
>
> So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?

> Systems Administrator
> Coordinated Home Care
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove me to email to me

Politician Spock

"Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.
>
> I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to

work
> on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix, and

> am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had any
> input.
>
> The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
> Computer Information Systems.
>
> The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start

my
> own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am doing
> now, just at a larger level.
>
> I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really

like
> the hands on stuff.
>
> So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?

> Systems Administrator
> Coordinated Home Care
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove me to email to me

If you like to manage people, get the MBA. If you like to manage technology,
get the MS Computer IS. Don't let the "technology management" fool you. You
will end up managing people.

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

Consultant

and that's what you'll want to be doing when you are older. let's face it,
there is plenty of age discrimination in this field

--
Consultant, MCNGP Founding Father
www.mcngp.tk

"Politician Spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.
> >
> > I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to

> work
> > on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix,

and
> > am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had

any
> > input.
> >
> > The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
> > Computer Information Systems.
> >
> > The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start

> my
> > own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am

doing
> > now, just at a larger level.
> >
> > I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really

> like
> > the hands on stuff.
> >
> > So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?
> >
> > --
> > Kendal R. Emery, MCSE, Network+, A+, MCNGP #19
> > Systems Administrator
> > Coordinated Home Care
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > remove me to email to me
> >

> If you like to manage people, get the MBA. If you like to manage

technology,
> get the MS Computer IS. Don't let the "technology management" fool you.

You
> will end up managing people.
>
> --
> Politician Spock
> MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. Not responsible for your inability to
> understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary gnomes
> living in my garden, or William Shatner's acting.
> © 2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

Davin Mickelson

Just a side note - you may wish to consider Capella for an online degree.
They are fully accredited and are cheaper per credit. They also have more
refined degree programs.

The IT department is riddled with (snobby - my opinion) Born consultants
here in Mpls. That may or may not be a good thing, in the reader's opinion.

My two cents.
Davin Mickelson

"Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.
>
> I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to

work
> on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix, and

> am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had any
> input.
>
> The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
> Computer Information Systems.
>
> The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start

my
> own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am doing
> now, just at a larger level.
>
> I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really

like
> the hands on stuff.
>
> So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?

> Systems Administrator
> Coordinated Home Care
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove me to email to me

Jtyc

> and that's what you'll want to be doing when you are older. let's face it,
> there is plenty of age discrimination in this field

I know of some older people in this field.... they are not qualfied and
should not be in this field.

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > and that's what you'll want to be doing when you are older. let's face

it,
> > there is plenty of age discrimination in this field

> I know of some older people in this field.... they are not qualfied and
> should not be in this field.

Shaddup, you schtink.

--
Fris "Danged young whipper-snappers" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Kendal Emery

The problem I see, is that if you just manage the technology, you do
all-right, but never make the real money Not that money is all important to
me, still I would like to make a lot.

I was also thinking though, as the trend to outsource IT gets bigger, and
more and more MCSE's are out looking for anything to make a buck, the MBA
could go into a different field as a manager quite easily.

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
(E-Mail Removed)
remove me to email to me
"Politician Spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.
> >
> > I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to

> work
> > on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix,

and
> > am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had

any
> > input.
> >
> > The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
> > Computer Information Systems.
> >
> > The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start

> my
> > own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am

doing
> > now, just at a larger level.
> >
> > I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really

> like
> > the hands on stuff.
> >
> > So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?
> >
> > --
> > Kendal R. Emery, MCSE, Network+, A+, MCNGP #19
> > Systems Administrator
> > Coordinated Home Care
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > remove me to email to me
> >

> If you like to manage people, get the MBA. If you like to manage

technology,
> get the MS Computer IS. Don't let the "technology management" fool you.

You
> will end up managing people.
>
> --
> Politician Spock
> MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. Not responsible for your inability to
> understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary gnomes
> living in my garden, or William Shatner's acting.
> © 2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

KLXrider

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:58:15 -0600, "Kendal Emery"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
>Computer Information Systems.

You will never get an MBA type job with an MBA from Univerisity of
Phoenix. I am sure they are a good school, but they are not
respected. There are 2 guys that work in my office that have them.
They are doing jobs that could be done by someone with an Associates.

On the other hand, I know a couple people with BS degrees and 1 PhD
from University of Phoenix in CIS and they seem to advance just fine
on the technical side, but will never be the CEO, CFO, or CIO.

The guy with the PhD does side work as an instructor for USC.

KLXrider, MCNGP #18