Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win98se Question

Win98se Question

Rosco

A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and all,
she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown device
in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it is. Is
there a way in windows to get more info?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Rosco wrote:
> A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
> reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and all,
> she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown device
> in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it is. Is
> there a way in windows to get more info?

Did you install the drivers for the motherboard? Is there any device you
know of not showing up in device manager, such as sound, network, modem,
display, USB, on and on?

Mike Easter

Rosco wrote:
> A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
> reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and
> all, she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown
> device in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it
> is. Is there a way in windows to get more info?

There are 'survey' tools that tell you a lot about your hardware, such
as Belarc and Everest.

You can also get some information from the BIOS POST screen .

You can look at the mobo and its docs and the installed cards and figure
out which devices you are supposed to have and which ones you have in
the system display. You can look at her CDs and floppies and manuals
for what kinds of devices she has 'stuff' for.

--
Mike Easter

Unk

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:18:46 GMT, Rosco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
>reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and all,
>she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown device
>in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it is. Is
>there a way in windows to get more info?

Download "Unknown Devices " to determine what it is.
Also download the latest pci update. The link to it on the below site.
http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

Once you figured out what the device is, use the info to search for the drivers at
http://www.driverguide.com/

Click on the member login link, login as:
Login: drivers
Password: all

Karl`s Driver Site http://www.karldavis.com/
Also, a http://www.google search can usually comes up with the drivers.

Ron Martell

Rosco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
>reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and all,
>she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown device
>in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it is. Is
>there a way in windows to get more info?

Delete the item from Device Manager and reboot the computer.

Does Windows detect new hardware? What information does it provide
about this new hardware?

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--