Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP is dead slow.

Windows XP is dead slow.

EW105

It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
with win98. Knew more about 98 but not much about XP. I do alt control
delete to see what is running and in the performance tab it says cpu
usage 100%. In the process tab I have about 25-30 items listed although
most are at 0 percent usage. Many of them are listed more than once. The
% varies continuously on the task manager and 2 or 3 other
applications.(z4tdal5.exe twice).If I try to end the processes, it
doesn't seem to have any effect. What's wrong, how can we fix it and
avoid this in the futur.

Thanks
Much appreciated

"EW105" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
> winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
> with win98. Knew more about 98 but not much about XP. I do alt control
> delete to see what is running and in the performance tab it says cpu
> usage 100%. In the process tab I have about 25-30 items listed although
> most are at 0 percent usage. Many of them are listed more than once. The
> % varies continuously on the task manager and 2 or 3 other
> applications.(z4tdal5.exe twice).If I try to end the processes, it
> doesn't seem to have any effect. What's wrong, how can we fix it and
> avoid this in the futur.
>
> Thanks
> Much appreciated

1. Load and run AdAware and Spybot
2. Tell your kid not to download every application he finds.
3. Know where s/he is browsing to to see if those sites download any bad
stuff
4. Use msconfig to control what programs/processes start at bootup.
5. One-by-one, investigate each suspicious application/process by putting
its name in Google. z4tdal5.exe, for exampe is suspicious because it doesn't
show up in Google..
6. Since your system ran W98, perhaps its underpowered for XP and is slow
because of the many processes XP needs.

HTH
Mike

Secret Squiddle

"EW105" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
> winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
> with win98. Knew more about 98 but not much about XP. I do alt control
> delete to see what is running and in the performance tab it says cpu
> usage 100%. In the process tab I have about 25-30 items listed although
> most are at 0 percent usage. Many of them are listed more than once. The
> % varies continuously on the task manager and 2 or 3 other
> applications.(z4tdal5.exe twice).If I try to end the processes, it
> doesn't seem to have any effect. What's wrong, how can we fix it and
> avoid this in the futur.
>
> Thanks
> Much appreciated

Install Winpatrol (freeware) www.winpatrol.com and you can easily disable or
remove any startup programs.

**SS**

Dan Evans

"EW105" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
> winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
> with win98.

If it's a Win98 era machine, it isn't potent enough for XP (though it *will*
run, just).

Dan

jholland1964

EW105, One thing XP does require is more ram than 128mb, if that is al
that is on the machine then this will slow things down. But if th
computer ran fine when you first installed XP then it sounds as i
there is "something" there that shouldn't be, especially with you
description of the task manager items.
I would highly recommend that you go to this sticky '*ATTENTION: Rea
Me Before Posting For Help!!*
(http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-1819059447.html
over in the * HijackThis - Spyware, Worms, Viruses, Trojans *forum an
follow all the instructions there. Once you have completed all the step
then run HiJackThis and start a new thread THERE with all this info an
a copy of the HJT log. There probably is some spyware/malware on th
machine since the file you note, z4tdal5.exe, is an unknown file
Somebody over there will be happy to look at your log and give advic
on cleaning up and then protecting the machine from further problems

--
jholland196
jholland1964's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1050

Ron Martell

EW105 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
>winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
>with win98. Knew more about 98 but not much about XP. I do alt control
>delete to see what is running and in the performance tab it says cpu
>usage 100%. In the process tab I have about 25-30 items listed although
>most are at 0 percent usage. Many of them are listed more than once. The
>% varies continuously on the task manager and 2 or 3 other
>applications.(z4tdal5.exe twice).If I try to end the processes, it
>doesn't seem to have any effect. What's wrong, how can we fix it and
>avoid this in the futur.
>
>Thanks
>Much appreciated

Your computer does appear to have a virus, trojan or spyware
infestation. A Google web search for z4tdal5.exe fails to find a
single reference anywhere, which is a very strong indication that this
is an artificial program name generated by a virus/trojan/spyware
item.

How much RAM does you computer have? A Windows 98 era machine would
not normally have enough RAM to give really good performance with
Windows XP. If the CPU speed is below 700 mhz then you probably
should have at least 512 mb of RAM to allow XP to operate with minimal
need to actually using the paging (swap) file. If the CPU speed is
more than 700 mhz but less than 1.5 ghz then you could get away with
perhaps 384 mb of RAM, as the processor is fast enough to compensate
for some limited use of the paging (swap) file. And for system with
CPUs faster than 1.5 ghz they really should have at least 256 mb of
RAM in order to get reasonable performance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)