Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Winupdate consumed most of my free space

Winupdate consumed most of my free space

hregev@yahoo.com

I updated Windows, and this resulted in a reduction of some 370MB in my
free space. The update included Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (22MB
update, 88MB on disk) and some small additional update. I know that a
new system restore point took up 76MB, up from the previous restore
point, which took 50MB. What happened to some 200MB of my free space?

Ron Martell

>I updated Windows, and this resulted in a reduction of some 370MB in my
>free space. The update included Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (22MB
>update, 88MB on disk) and some small additional update. I know that a
>new system restore point took up 76MB, up from the previous restore
>point, which took 50MB. What happened to some 200MB of my free space?

If you are that critically short of disk space that you are concerned
about the usage of a few cents worth of it then what you really need
is a larger hard drive.

There is probably a $NTUninstall..... folder or two created by the new
updates and it may have left some stuff behind in your TEMP and
Temporary Internet Files folders as well.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

Unk

On 16 Nov 2005 05:33:23 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I updated Windows, and this resulted in a reduction of some 370MB in my
>free space. The update included Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (22MB
>update, 88MB on disk) and some small additional update. I know that a
>new system restore point took up 76MB, up from the previous restore
>point, which took 50MB. What happened to some 200MB of my free space?

System restore points may also contain the missing space. You could run the Disk Cleanup utility
to delete all the older restore points. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
Cleanup, "More Options" tab, "System Restore" section, "Clean up" button, click Yes

You can also recover disk space by deleting the Windows Update Uninstall files.
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Do NOT delete the "C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$" folder...
Description of the contents of Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003 software update
packages http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824994

Another big savings is the Temporary Internet Files.
Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options. Click the "General" tab, Under
"Temporary Internet Files", click the "Delete Files" button, check the box, "Delete all offline
content", "OK". After it finishes, click the "Settings" button and lower the amount of disk
space to use to 10 Meg. Click "OK", "Apply". That will increase your hard drive space by how
much was in that folder. I've seen it well over a gig. Folders that big are prone to crosslinked
files. Clear it weekly, or sooner, especially if IE starts acting funny. You can automate the
process by clicking the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to "Security", and check the box, "Empty
Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed", click "Apply", "OK"