Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB Ethernet Adapter???

USB Ethernet Adapter???

FaceInTheMoon

I want to buy a printer that I will be able to use on my home network, but
of all printers on my shortlist, none of them have an ethernet port or
wireless capability to connect to my network. I don't want advice on what
printer to buy. I just want to know: can I use a USB ethernet adapter like
these

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/u...t_adapter.html
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FA120.php

to connect my USB printer (when I've bought it) to my Linksys WRT54G
broadband router, or will I need a print server. I haven't got any mains
sockets left to plug a print server into, which is why I'd prefer the
adapter (if it will work).

Thanks.

why?

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:57:30 GMT, FaceInTheMoon wrote:

>I want to buy a printer that I will be able to use on my home network, but
>of all printers on my shortlist, none of them have an ethernet port or
>wireless capability to connect to my network. I don't want advice on what
>printer to buy. I just want to know: can I use a USB ethernet adapter like
>these
>
>http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/u...t_adapter.html
>http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FA120.php

Neither of those, they are adapters that rely on the PC network software
drivers.

>to connect my USB printer (when I've bought it) to my Linksys WRT54G
>broadband router, or will I need a print server. I haven't got any mains

Print server , that's what I used, and it does take up a mains socket. I
replaced the 4 way mains extension by a 6 way.

http://www.netgear.com/products/cons...r_wired_hm.php
It's the PS121 I have.

>sockets left to plug a print server into, which is why I'd prefer the
>adapter (if it will work).

Me

Dave Lear

"FaceInTheMoon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ekpef.3115$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I want to buy a printer that I will be able to use on my home
> network, but of all printers on my shortlist, none of them have an
> ethernet port or wireless capability to connect to my network. I don't
> want advice on what printer to buy. I just want to know: can I use a
> USB ethernet adapter like these
> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/u...t_adapter.html
> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FA120.php
> to connect my USB printer (when I've bought it) to my Linksys WRT54G
> broadband router, or will I need a print server. I haven't got any mains
> sockets left to plug a print server into, which is why I'd prefer the
> adapter (if it will work).

The devices you've linked to there don't seem to be what you're after.
They're intended to plug into a USB port on your PC and convert it to
ethernet, i.e. if you had USB ports but no ethernet that's what you'd plug
in.

What you want is something that plugs into the printer (not the workstation)
and will receive print jobs wirelessly. Something along these lines, a
wireless print server...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

Unfortunately, these devices require power.