Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Excel Spreadsheet Formula

Excel Spreadsheet Formula

BIGEYE

Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone tell me how to
input a formula for this.
Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
Another cell to test the condition as follows:
If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any of the
conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
Appreciate any help.
TIA

Blinky the Shark

BIGEYE wrote:

> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
> tell me how to input a formula for this.
> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
> of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
> Appreciate any help.
> TIA

=IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

Blinky the Shark, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the congealed, sugar-coated fairy,
and dealer in salted cow manure, bellowed:

> BIGEYE wrote:
>
>> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
>> tell me how to input a formula for this.
>> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
>> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
>> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
>> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
>> of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
>> Appreciate any help.
>> TIA

> =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

is but a dream within a dream.

why?

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:45:15 -0000, "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok>
wrote:

>Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone tell me how to
>input a formula for this.
>Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
>Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
>Another cell to test the condition as follows:
>If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any of the
>conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.

IIRC same as Supercalc and Lotus , although it's been a while.

cell for the answer

=IF(test1,result1true,result1false)

expand this out to

=IF(test1,IF(test2,IF(test3,result3true,result3fal se),result2false),result1false)

You simply nest a further test, where you need it.

It works fine for up to 6 then it's tricky to keep things straight.

Run XL , press F1 , for Help.
IF_worksheet_function

Me

BIGEYE

> BIGEYE wrote:
>
>> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
>> tell me how to input a formula for this.
>> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
>> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
>> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
>> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
>> of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
>> Appreciate any help.
>> TIA

> =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all Google Groups posts.
> http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of AND.
If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any of the

BIGEYE wrote:

>> BIGEYE wrote:
>>
>>> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
>>> tell me how to input a formula for this.
>>> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
>>> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
>>> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
>>> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
>>> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
>>> Appreciate any help.
>>> TIA

>> =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")

> Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
> AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
> TIA

Sorry, only the first joint is free.

(Just kidding; but what I gave you is all the Excel I feel like
doing today. I'm an Open Office user (Linux) (I'm only here in
Windows on a backup computer while I'm rebuilding my Linux box),
and MS products give me hives. <g>)

--

BIGEYE wrote:

>> BIGEYE wrote:
>>
>>> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
>>> tell me how to input a formula for this.
>>> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
>>> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
>>> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
>>> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
>>> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
>>> Appreciate any help.
>>> TIA

>> =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")
>> --
>> Blinky

> Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
> AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
> TIA

Second response: oh, what the heck...

=OR(K1<C1,L1<D1,M1<E1)

Actually, you could do the same for your first quesiton,
substituting "AND" for "OR". I didn't think about that until you
asked the "OR" question -- I'm so used to using IF statements that I
just automatically went that way for your first question.

Now -- start looking in Excel's function help when you need this
kinda stuff, eh? Thanks.

--

why? wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:45:15 -0000, "BIGEYE"
> <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote:
>
>>Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
>>tell me how to input a formula for this.
>>Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
>>Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
>>Another cell to test the condition as follows:
>>If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
>>of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.

> IIRC same as Supercalc and Lotus , although it's been a while.
>
> cell for the answer
>
>=IF(test1,result1true,result1false)
>
> expand this out to
>
>=IF(test1,IF(test2,IF

(test3,result3true,result3false),result2false
>),result1false)

It's interesting that like me, you didn't suggest the AND
function, either. See my responses to OP -- I'm just used to
using IF statements, and didn't think about AND until he asked
about OR in a followup.

--

> BIGEYE wrote:
>
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")
>>> --
>>> Blinky

>> Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
>> AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
>> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
>> TIA

> Second response: oh, what the heck...
>
> =OR(K1<C1,L1<D1,M1<E1)
>
> Actually, you could do the same for your first quesiton,
> substituting "AND" for "OR". I didn't think about that until you
> asked the "OR" question -- I'm so used to using IF statements that I
> just automatically went that way for your first question.
>
> Now -- start looking in Excel's function help when you need this
> kinda stuff, eh? Thanks.
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all Google Groups posts.
> http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Going back to the AND, it works OK when all conditions are true, YES gets
put in the formula cell. But if one of them becomes false, then FALSE gets
put in the cell instead of NO.
If I use AND as in your second suggestion, I end up with #value in the
formula cell.

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

BIGEYE, <address@is[invalid].ok>, the oblique, wayward moldwarp, and
employee responsible for building high stone walls from small pebbles using
dog **** for mortar, buzzed:

>> BIGEYE wrote:
>>
>>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
>>> AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
>>> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
>>> TIA

>> Second response: oh, what the heck...
>>
>> =OR(K1<C1,L1<D1,M1<E1)
>>
>> Actually, you could do the same for your first quesiton,
>> substituting "AND" for "OR". I didn't think about that until you
>> asked the "OR" question -- I'm so used to using IF statements that I
>> just automatically went that way for your first question.
>>
>> Now -- start looking in Excel's function help when you need this
>> kinda stuff, eh? Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> Blinky
>> Killing all Google Groups posts.
>> http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

> Going back to the AND, it works OK when all conditions are true, YES
> gets put in the formula cell. But if one of them becomes false, then
> FALSE gets put in the cell instead of NO.
> If I use AND as in your second suggestion, I end up with #value in the
> formula cell.

What do you expect when you listen to a dumb **** like that, eh?

is but a dream within a dream.