Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Request for Suggestions for Computer Protection

Request for Suggestions for Computer Protection

bluejudy

Hello.

I wonder whether some of you experts would mind composing a list on
this thread of your favourite protection programs. I would like to
assemble a toolkit to post on my website.

I use Norton, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot, and Registry Mechanic.

An acquaintance of mine who is a sysop for a school system swears by
F-Prot for home computers and, after reading about rootkit on here, I
am tempted to purchase F-Secure's Blacklight program. Do any of you
use it?

My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
the prevailing attitude among experts?

Any information that you provide will be placed on a website for
student medical transcriptionists. The HIPAA regulations make it
mandatory for MT who work as independent contractors to secure client
files.

I shall be grateful for any advice.

Judy

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

bluejudy wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I wonder whether some of you experts would mind composing a list on
> this thread of your favourite protection programs. I would like to
> assemble a toolkit to post on my website.
>
> I use Norton, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot, and Registry Mechanic.
>
> An acquaintance of mine who is a sysop for a school system swears by
> F-Prot for home computers and, after reading about rootkit on here, I
> am tempted to purchase F-Secure's Blacklight program. Do any of you
> use it?
>
> My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
> the prevailing attitude among experts?
>
> Any information that you provide will be placed on a website for
> student medical transcriptionists. The HIPAA regulations make it
> mandatory for MT who work as independent contractors to secure client
> files.
>
> I shall be grateful for any advice.

ANTIVIRUS
1st choice (30 days free, about $35-40 after) Kaspersky
2nd choice NOD32 (not free)
3rd choice Avast (free)
From time to time do a free "online" scan with Trend Housecall or Panda
Activescan. Kaspersky now also offers a free online scan.

ANTISPYWARE
MS Antispyware (free)
Spybot Search and Destroy (free)
Lavasoft Adaware (free)
Webroot Spysweeper (free 30 day trial, about $30 afterwards)

Then there's a ton of others to bring into play if a problem crops up.
Notably HiJackThis and individual solutions for different types of
viruses and spyware, such as CWShredder.

Buffalo

"bluejudy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello.
>
> I wonder whether some of you experts would mind composing a list on
> this thread of your favourite protection programs. I would like to
> assemble a toolkit to post on my website.
>
> I use Norton, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot, and Registry Mechanic.

Another good free one is SpyWareBlaster. It prevents much spyware from ever
getting on your computer.

> An acquaintance of mine who is a sysop for a school system swears by
> F-Prot for home computers and, after reading about rootkit on here, I
> am tempted to purchase F-Secure's Blacklight program. Do any of you
> use it?
>
> My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
> the prevailing attitude among experts?

Well, Avast uses less resources than Norton, but its detection rate is never as
high overall as Norton.
Have your tech look up independent anti-virus program comparisons on the web.

> Any information that you provide will be placed on a website for
> student medical transcriptionists. The HIPAA regulations make it
> mandatory for MT who work as independent contractors to secure client
> files.
>
> I shall be grateful for any advice.
>
> Judy

Duane Arnold

"bluejudy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1131891731.854321.303060
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hello.
>
> I wonder whether some of you experts would mind composing a list on
> this thread of your favourite protection programs. I would like to
> assemble a toolkit to post on my website.
>
> I use Norton, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot, and Registry Mechanic.

Snake-oil with the spy protection as malware can circumvent and defeat
it. That kind of program technology is always a dime short and a dollar
late to zero day exploits. Malware can knock out Norton and ZA to if it
hits the machine and can execute.

> An acquaintance of mine who is a sysop for a school system swears by
> F-Prot for home computers and, after reading about rootkit on here, I
> am tempted to purchase F-Secure's Blacklight program. Do any of you
> use it?

A job I worked at used F-Secure on their workstation. F-Secure was knoced
out of the box and disabled on the machines on a routine basis by
malware. They went to Norton.

> My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
> the prevailing attitude among experts?

I consider NOD32 to be the best.

> Any information that you provide will be placed on a website for
> student medical transcriptionists. The HIPAA regulations make it
> mandatory for MT who work as independent contractors to secure client
> files.
>
> I shall be grateful for any advice.

You should have them go to the O/S and harden it to attack as much as
possible.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

There is a link for Win 2K too. If it's Win 9'x or me, they are out of
luck.

Duane

bluejudy

Thank you so much You have no idea how much I appreciate your
advice.

Plato

bluejudy wrote:

> My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
> the prevailing attitude among experts?

No, avast is not far superior to norton anti-virus. Avast is simply,
another anti-virus program. More or less equal in effectiveness.

The advantage of avast over norton is a much smaller footprint in
windows, and way less registry entires.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Whiskers

On 2005-11-13, bluejudy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

> I shall be grateful for any advice.

Stop using Windows )

(Well, someone had to say it ...).

Seriously, anyone connected to the internet on 'broadband' should consider
putting a "router" between their own computer(s) and the "modem". (Many DSL
"modems" incorporate "routers" anyway).

Whatever software or operating system you use, make sure that you keep up to
date with 'security patches' and 'bug-fixes'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

bluejudy

I live in the fishstix. We have yet to get DSL here. I shall probably
be back to pick brains about that on a personal level if ever we do get
that service.

Again, thank you for the information. I shall compile it for the
tipsheet on the website.

Judy

JPB

Whiskers wrote:

> On 2005-11-13, bluejudy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> I shall be grateful for any advice.

> Stop using Windows )

Highly recommended, a policy I instituted many moons ago for our household
and have never regretted

> Seriously, anyone connected to the internet on 'broadband' should consider
> putting a "router" between their own computer(s) and the "modem". (Many
> DSL "modems" incorporate "routers" anyway).

And another good idea, though I confess it is one I have not carried through
myself as yet.

--
JPB