Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > careful who you give advice to part 2

careful who you give advice to part 2

unluckylanding

Deano

unluckylanding wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/sui...net/index.html

I notice mainstream media still can't tell the difference between usenet and
"sites". And I really don't see how alt.suicide.holiday could have an
"archived section", unless they're talking about google groups.

Trax

"Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>unluckylanding wrote:
|>> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/sui...net/index.html
|>
|>I notice mainstream media still can't tell the difference between usenet and
|>"sites". And I really don't see how alt.suicide.holiday could have an
|>"archived section", unless they're talking about google groups.

This gets better, LanceR posted this link http://tinyurl.com/awyom
2.5 year old news, and it was listed on Cnn.coms front page last week.

I can't help thinking CNN has an agenda, maybe someone got blasted in
a newsgroup and is trying to draw attention to them - in a bad way.

As for an archived section most newsgroups have them, they're called
FAQs http://tinyurl.com/dbxej is alt.suicide.holiday's. But I think
the article was talking about this one:
http://www.cat.pdx.edu/~chuff/holiday.html

--
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_eye_of_god.htm

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Trax wrote:

> |>I notice mainstream media still can't tell the difference between usenet and
> |>"sites". And I really don't see how alt.suicide.holiday could have an
> |>"archived section", unless they're talking about google groups.
>
> This gets better, LanceR posted this link http://tinyurl.com/awyom
> 2.5 year old news, and it was listed on Cnn.coms front page last week.
>
> I can't help thinking CNN has an agenda, maybe someone got blasted in
> a newsgroup and is trying to draw attention to them - in a bad way.
>
> As for an archived section most newsgroups have them, they're called
> FAQs http://tinyurl.com/dbxej is alt.suicide.holiday's. But I think
> the article was talking about this one:
> http://www.cat.pdx.edu/~chuff/holiday.html

I started to send a comment to CNN about posting a 2 year old story as
"news" but then read their privacy policy. They collect all the data
they can about you or anyone else's information you divulge and then
send out advertisements, offers, offers for programs, contests or
newsletters. And they may disclose personally identifiable information
about you to companies who do not adhere to their privacy policies. In
other words, they have no privacy policy at all.

dwn

"unluckylanding" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/sui...net/index.html

The worst that can happen in this group, someone reformats their hard drive.

--
Jennifer Lopez Lingerie *plus* Gourmet Goodies
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

Deano

dwn wrote:
> "unluckylanding" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/sui...net/index.html
>>

> The worst that can happen in this group, someone reformats their hard
> drive.

LOL, dunno might cause some people to top themselves if they lose their
precious data.

Plato

Deano wrote:

> unluckylanding wrote:
> > http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/sui...net/index.html

> I notice mainstream media still can't tell the difference between usenet and
> "sites". And I really don't see how alt.suicide.holiday could have an
> "archived section", unless they're talking about google groups.

from the article
"Geo" is another ASH member. He was the same age as Suzanne when
he joined the group last year and thinks suicide groups
like ASH actually keep
people from committing suicide."

Agreed, cnn doesn't know what a newsgroup is. ie "member", "joining".
They make it sound like a local VFW club or religious cult.