Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Compaq Deskpro Bios only recognises 16 of NEW 80gig HD

Compaq Deskpro Bios only recognises 16 of NEW 80gig HD

Fred-C

I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
(without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it. Now
i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor hdd,
and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho, in
ctrl settings/system/ its THERE.. and when i ran my computer using it as the
master, (i was gonna install xp on the maxtor 80) it only found 16 of the 80
gig , something about the bios being old and ya have to run a maxtor app to
reclaim some more of the hdd.

Right...as i have no boot diskettes/disks , how do i get to even install
this hdd, as it does not give me the option to partition the disk, or
anything...BUT i also have 3 other hdd's all about 4-5 gig, and NONE of
them, when i used them as slave drives needed partitioning, or tell the
computer to make them a d: slave, (C: master) it just was! - no input needed
from me.

So if i take my master(10 gig) off the computer, there goes my o/s , i have
an installation disk (xp its worked on my 10gig fer months, not new, not
even orig.) so what shud be my 1st move, thats all i want to know, should i
keep with the making it a slave, and take the 16 if it is offered to me, and
hope that maxtor have a program/app that gives me some of the wasted memory,
?

Do I have to format the hdd(80)? how do i even create a bootable disk to
start the whole installation off? any help is good help at this point... my
bios is old , 1999, 686T2 , it seems shitty to have to take only 16gig out
of a brand new 80 gig hard disk?
what do you advise please? Thanks, and i hope someone can help me make some
decision what i should do - Fred - C

Tony

"Fred-C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsJwdf.5699$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
> (without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
> computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it.
> Now
> i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor
> hdd,
> and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho,
> in
> ctrl settings/system/ its THERE.. and when i ran my computer using it as
> the
> master, (i was gonna install xp on the maxtor 80) it only found 16 of the
> 80
> gig , something about the bios being old and ya have to run a maxtor app
> reclaim some more of the hdd.
>
> Right...as i have no boot diskettes/disks , how do i get to even install
> this hdd, as it does not give me the option to partition the disk, or
> anything...BUT i also have 3 other hdd's all about 4-5 gig, and NONE of
> them, when i used them as slave drives needed partitioning, or tell the
> computer to make them a d: slave, (C: master) it just was! - no input
> needed
> from me.
>
> So if i take my master(10 gig) off the computer, there goes my o/s , i
> have
> an installation disk (xp its worked on my 10gig fer months, not new, not
> even orig.) so what shud be my 1st move, thats all i want to know, should
> keep with the making it a slave, and take the 16 if it is offered to me,
> and
> hope that maxtor have a program/app that gives me some of the wasted
> memory,
> ?
>
> Do I have to format the hdd(80)? how do i even create a bootable disk to
> start the whole installation off? any help is good help at this point...
> my
> bios is old , 1999, 686T2 , it seems shitty to have to take only 16gig out
> of a brand new 80 gig hard disk?
> what do you advise please? Thanks, and i hope someone can help me make
> some
> decision what i should do - Fred - C

It is probably a BIOS restriction but you can probably overcome it by
installing the hard drive using maxtor software
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Ma...&downloadID=57 .
It will probably partion the drive in smaller partitions that the BIOS will
recognise.

Trax

"Fred-C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
|>(without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
|>computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it. Now
|>i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor hdd,
|>and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho, in
|>ctrl settings/system/ its THERE.. and when i ran my computer using it as the
|>master, (i was gonna install xp on the maxtor 80) it only found 16 of the 80
|>gig , something about the bios being old and ya have to run a maxtor app to
|>reclaim some more of the hdd.
|>
|>Right...as i have no boot diskettes/disks , how do i get to even install
|>this hdd, as it does not give me the option to partition the disk, or
|>anything...BUT i also have 3 other hdd's all about 4-5 gig, and NONE of
|>them, when i used them as slave drives needed partitioning, or tell the
|>computer to make them a d: slave, (C: master) it just was! - no input needed
|>from me.
|>
|>So if i take my master(10 gig) off the computer, there goes my o/s , i have
|>an installation disk (xp its worked on my 10gig fer months, not new, not
|>even orig.) so what shud be my 1st move, thats all i want to know, should i
|>keep with the making it a slave, and take the 16 if it is offered to me, and
|>hope that maxtor have a program/app that gives me some of the wasted memory,
|>?
|>
|>Do I have to format the hdd(80)? how do i even create a bootable disk to
|>start the whole installation off? any help is good help at this point... my
|>bios is old , 1999, 686T2 , it seems shitty to have to take only 16gig out
|>of a brand new 80 gig hard disk?
|>what do you advise please? Thanks, and i hope someone can help me make some
|>decision what i should do - Fred - C

You need to install ez-drive (A dynamic drive overlay), to do so you
need to run Maxiblast that Tony link'd to.

You will need to format a Floppy then run maxiblast it will create a
bootable floppy that you will set up the HD with.

--
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_eye_of_god.htm

Alan

Trax wrote:
> "Fred-C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
> |>(without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
> |>computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it. Now
> |>i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor hdd,
> |>and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho, in
> |>ctrl settings/system/ its THERE.. and when i ran my computer using it as the
> |>master, (i was gonna install xp on the maxtor 80) it only found 16 of the 80
> |>gig , something about the bios being old and ya have to run a maxtor app to
> |>reclaim some more of the hdd.
> |>
> |>Right...as i have no boot diskettes/disks , how do i get to even install
> |>this hdd, as it does not give me the option to partition the disk, or
> |>anything...BUT i also have 3 other hdd's all about 4-5 gig, and NONE of
> |>them, when i used them as slave drives needed partitioning, or tell the
> |>computer to make them a d: slave, (C: master) it just was! - no input needed
> |>from me.
> |>
> |>So if i take my master(10 gig) off the computer, there goes my o/s , i have
> |>an installation disk (xp its worked on my 10gig fer months, not new, not
> |>even orig.) so what shud be my 1st move, thats all i want to know, should i
> |>keep with the making it a slave, and take the 16 if it is offered to me, and
> |>hope that maxtor have a program/app that gives me some of the wasted memory,
> |>?
> |>
> |>Do I have to format the hdd(80)? how do i even create a bootable disk to
> |>start the whole installation off? any help is good help at this point... my
> |>bios is old , 1999, 686T2 , it seems shitty to have to take only 16gig out
> |>of a brand new 80 gig hard disk?
> |>what do you advise please? Thanks, and i hope someone can help me make some
> |>decision what i should do - Fred - C
> |>

> You need to install ez-drive (A dynamic drive overlay), to do so you
> need to run Maxiblast that Tony link'd to.
>
> You will need to format a Floppy then run maxiblast it will create a
> bootable floppy that you will set up the HD with.

I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Alan wrote:

> I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..

Usually if you buy the retail version in the pretty box and with
instructions, they include utilities too. If you buy OEM, you get a
drive in a gray plastic bag, nothing else.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Rgr spewed forth:
> Alan wrote:
>
>> I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..

> Usually if you buy the retail version in the pretty box and with
> instructions, they include utilities too. If you buy OEM, you get a
> drive in a gray plastic bag, nothing else.

And the warranty is often severely limited too. But I still usually buy OEM,
unless I'm installing a drive for someone else who insists on the warranty.
'Cause *I* ain't gonna cover it <grin>

like an idiot.

Dan Evans

news:gszdf.9966$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Rgr spewed forth:
>> Alan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..

>> Usually if you buy the retail version in the pretty box and with
>> instructions, they include utilities too. If you buy OEM, you get a
>> drive in a gray plastic bag, nothing else.

> And the warranty is often severely limited too. But I still usually buy
> OEM, unless I'm installing a drive for someone else who insists on the
> warranty. 'Cause *I* ain't gonna cover it <grin>

Odd the warrenty is less - I get the same warrenty on OEM as Retail from my
suppliers.

Dan

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Dan Evans wrote:

> news:gszdf.9966$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>>Rgr spewed forth:

>>>Usually if you buy the retail version in the pretty box and with
>>>instructions, they include utilities too. If you buy OEM, you get a
>>>drive in a gray plastic bag, nothing else.

>>And the warranty is often severely limited too. But I still usually buy
>>OEM, unless I'm installing a drive for someone else who insists on the
>>warranty. 'Cause *I* ain't gonna cover it <grin>

> Odd the warrenty is less - I get the same warrenty on OEM as Retail from my
> suppliers.

The way it's supposed to work is that if you buy a retail box the mfg
stands behind the product for the warranty period. If you buy OEM, the
seller stands behind the product for whatever period they choose. That's
the rationale behind selling them for less to retailers. But in practice
the HD mfg's usually are cooperative. That's not true of some other
types of products, the mfg will tell you to go see the retailer for any
warranty coverage.

Fred-C

Thanks for the advice, i will get onto that immediately..I am very confused
about the whole 'booting from disk' scenario..But if the above options work,
then it will provide me with the option of making a 3 1/2 " floppy bootable,
or a cd 1. Hope So.. As i have 'no' floppies that will boot my Pc, in fact,
i am sure i used to have the 'create boot disk' in the control/system but it
isn't there .. i am quite sure i once used this option to make a bootableon
another XP i had.
Like i said, thanks fer the info..appreciated! - will post if anything
ballses up, pls keep an eye out.. Ta - Fred -

Tony

"Fred-C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YvIdf.8960$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the advice, i will get onto that immediately..I am very
> confused
> about the whole 'booting from disk' scenario..But if the above options
> work,
> then it will provide me with the option of making a 3 1/2 " floppy
> bootable,
> or a cd 1. Hope So.. As i have 'no' floppies that will boot my Pc, in
> fact,
> i am sure i used to have the 'create boot disk' in the control/system but
> it
> isn't there .. i am quite sure i once used this option to make a
> bootableon
> another XP i had.
> Like i said, thanks fer the info..appreciated! - will post if anything
> ballses up, pls keep an eye out.. Ta - Fred -

If you want to create a boot disk in XP, insert the floppy, go to my
computer, right click on the floppy drive, select format and put a check in
the Create an MS-DOS startup disk, then click on start.