Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linksys WRT54G and network ready printer - connectivity?

Linksys WRT54G and network ready printer - connectivity?

Nozza

I have a network ready printer the Brother HL-2070N

I have a Linksys router WRT54G

Currently I have the printer attached to a PC using a USB cable, and
this is shared on the home network so that the other PCs can print.

Downside is that the PC needs to be powered up for other users to
print.

How do I go about suing the "network ready" bit of the printer? Is it
possible for all the PCs on the network to print to the printer if I
connect it to a port on the router?

Or will I need a separate print server?

Do I simply connect the printer to a spare port on the router? And
then what? How do I tell the networked PCs "how to find the printer"?

And what about using DHCP? I currently use DHCP to dish out the IP
addresses? What about the printer? What would happen if the printer's
IP address changed?

I am running Windows XP Pro on the pcs.

Any info, or pointers, gratefully received

Noz

--
Email (ROT13)

EricP

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:11:11 +0000, Nozza
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a network ready printer the Brother HL-2070N
>
>I have a Linksys router WRT54G
>
>Currently I have the printer attached to a PC using a USB cable, and
>this is shared on the home network so that the other PCs can print.
>
>Downside is that the PC needs to be powered up for other users to
>print.
>
>How do I go about suing the "network ready" bit of the printer? Is it
>possible for all the PCs on the network to print to the printer if I
>connect it to a port on the router?
>
>Or will I need a separate print server?
>
>Do I simply connect the printer to a spare port on the router? And
>then what? How do I tell the networked PCs "how to find the printer"?
>
>And what about using DHCP? I currently use DHCP to dish out the IP
>addresses? What about the printer? What would happen if the printer's
>IP address changed?
>
>I am running Windows XP Pro on the pcs.
>
>Any info, or pointers, gratefully received
>
>Noz

"The HL-2070N laser printer is ideal for users who need to share a
printer. Offering the same footprint, 20 ppm print speed, and 250
sheet paper capacity as the HL-2040, the HL-2070N also includes a
number of additional features. These include 16 MB of standard memory,
PCL 6 emulation, and a built in Ethernet network interface. These
features make the HL-2070N ideal for home or home office printer
sharing. The HL-2070N also comes with Web based printer management
capability, as well as other network management tools to make setting
up and using your printer on your wired or wireless home network fast
and easy"

Plug it into the router. The instructions should give you the web
access page for it so you can talk to it.

Dan Evans

"Nozza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a network ready printer the Brother HL-2070N

> Any info, or pointers, gratefully received

If it's like the other "N" printers from Brother, on the Install CD is a
programme for setting up the network part of it. Just connect the printer to
the router and run the software. If there isn't a CD (like my fax didn't
have one), go to the Brother website and download it.

Dan

pcbutts1

Set the printer for DHCP then plug it into the router, it will get an IP
automatically. Check your router to find out what IP it gave to the printer
or just do a test print from the printer itself to find it. There are
several ways to install the printer on your pc's. You can run the add
printer wizard and let it detect the printer using the network printer
option, which does not always work with networked printers or you can use
the add printer wizard, choose local printer and do not check the box to
auto detect, input the IP address of the printer, then follow the prompts.

"Nozza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a network ready printer the Brother HL-2070N
>
> I have a Linksys router WRT54G
>
> Currently I have the printer attached to a PC using a USB cable, and
> this is shared on the home network so that the other PCs can print.
>
> Downside is that the PC needs to be powered up for other users to
> print.
>
> How do I go about suing the "network ready" bit of the printer? Is it
> possible for all the PCs on the network to print to the printer if I
> connect it to a port on the router?
>
> Or will I need a separate print server?
>
> Do I simply connect the printer to a spare port on the router? And
> then what? How do I tell the networked PCs "how to find the printer"?
>
> And what about using DHCP? I currently use DHCP to dish out the IP
> addresses? What about the printer? What would happen if the printer's
> IP address changed?
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro on the pcs.
>
> Any info, or pointers, gratefully received
>
> Noz
>

> --
> Email (ROT13)
> (E-Mail Removed)