Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > STATIC in Close Program box

STATIC in Close Program box

Kirsty

Hi,

My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system occasionally
'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to fix
this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the system
functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a few
minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had reappeared
in the Close Program box.

He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove programs
either.

I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit gives
you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation and
will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'

Any ideas?

Thanks, Kirsty.

James

"Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1d9df.497$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system occasionally
> 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to fix
> this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
> called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the system
> functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a few
> minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had
> reappeared
> in the Close Program box.
>
> He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
> files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove programs
> either.
>
> I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
> access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit gives
> you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation and
> will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'

Don't want to cause panic but it COULD be:-
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...remotekey.html

Kirsty

news:437525f4$0$1469$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1d9df.497$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system

occasionally
> > 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to

fix
> > this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
> > called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the

system
> > functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a

few
> > minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had
> > reappeared
> > in the Close Program box.
> >
> > He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
> > files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove

programs
> > either.
> >
> > I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
> > access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit

gives
> > you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation

and
> > will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'

> Don't want to cause panic but it COULD be:-

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...remotekey.html

Thanks for replying.

I just got him to have a look in the add/remove programs box and there was
no mention of Remote Keylogger, so it doesn't look like it's that. Also no
results for 'Keylogger' in 'Find files or folders', so I don't think that's
the problem.

Kirsty.

MJP

"Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3N9df.13307$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:437525f4$0$1469$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1d9df.497$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system

> occasionally
>> > 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to

> fix
>> > this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an
>> > item
>> > called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the

> system
>> > functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a

> few
>> > minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had
>> > reappeared
>> > in the Close Program box.
>> >
>> > He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in
>> > 'Find
>> > files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove

> programs
>> > either.
>> >
>> > I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you
>> > can't
>> > access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit

> gives
>> > you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation

> and
>> > will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'

>> Don't want to cause panic but it COULD be:-
>>

> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...remotekey.html
>>

> Thanks for replying.
>
> I just got him to have a look in the add/remove programs box and there was
> no mention of Remote Keylogger, so it doesn't look like it's that. Also
> no
> results for 'Keylogger' in 'Find files or folders', so I don't think
> that's
> the problem.
>
> Kirsty.

1.I am not going to write a keylogger program that appears in the add/
remove programs list.
2. I will not call it keylogger.

Think again.

MJP

Trax

"Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hi,
|>
|>My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system occasionally
|>'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to fix
|>this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
|>called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the system
|>functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a few
|>minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had reappeared
|>in the Close Program box.
|>
|>He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
|>files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove programs
|>either.
|>
|>I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
|>access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit gives
|>you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation and
|>will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'
|>
|>Any ideas?

James is most likely right, it being a keylogger. If you want to
remove it then...

Download and run Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

Double click on STATIC and read it's image, and the command line.
example: "E:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"

Stop the STATIC process, then delete the folder and all files you
found. Reboot and run regedit and search for the file listed in the
command line, deleting each listing.

--
Never argue with an idiot.
They drag you down to their level,

Plato

Kirsty wrote:

> My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system occasionally
> 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to fix
> this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
> called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the system
> functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a few
> minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had reappeared
> in the Close Program box.

Remove the program. Remove the calls to the program in the registry.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Kirsty

"MJP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43752c0c$0$81693$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...

> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3N9df.13307$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:437525f4$0$1469$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:1d9df.497$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > occasionally

> > fix

> > system

> > few

> > programs

> > gives

operation
> > and
> >>

> >> Don't want to cause panic but it COULD be:-

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...remotekey.html

> > Thanks for replying.
> >
> > I just got him to have a look in the add/remove programs box and there

was
> > no mention of Remote Keylogger, so it doesn't look like it's that. Also
> > no
> > results for 'Keylogger' in 'Find files or folders', so I don't think
> > that's
> > the problem.
> >
> > Kirsty.

> 1.I am not going to write a keylogger program that appears in the add/
> remove programs list.
> 2. I will not call it keylogger.
>
> Think again.
>
> MJP

According to the Symantec page that James posted the link to, this
particular piece of spyware is in the Add/remove programs file under the
name Remote Keylogger. This entry doesn't appear on the computer in
question, hence why I said I don't think this particular piece of spyware is
the problem in this case.

I'm aware that it could still be spyware under another name but I haven't
been able to find anything obvious in the Windows or Program Files folders.
Spybot, Ad-aware and Cleanup! are installed and have been updated and run
recently and have not found the problem.

Any suggestions on what else to look for?

Kirsty.

Kirsty

"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>Hi,
> |>
> |>My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system

occasionally
> |>'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to

fix
> |>this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
> |>called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the

system
> |>functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a

few
> |>minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had

reappeared
> |>in the Close Program box.
> |>
> |>He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
> |>files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove

programs
> |>either.
> |>
> |>I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
> |>access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit

gives
> |>you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation

and
> |>will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'
> |>
> |>Any ideas?
>
> James is most likely right, it being a keylogger. If you want to
> remove it then...
>
> Download and run Process Explorer
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html
>
> Double click on STATIC and read it's image, and the command line.
> example: "E:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
>
> Stop the STATIC process, then delete the folder and all files you
> found. Reboot and run regedit and search for the file listed in the
> command line, deleting each listing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did download Process Explorer the other day
and I didn't see anything that looked like it might be it, but I'll try it
again. Hopefully if I find the STATIC thing and delete it then I'll be able
to access the registry again, I just get an error message every time I try
at the moment.

Kirsty.

Kirsty

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:43757e7c$0$182$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kirsty wrote:
> >
> > My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system

occasionally
> > 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to

fix
> > this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
> > called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the

system
> > functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a

few
> > minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had

reappeared
> > in the Close Program box.

> Remove the program. Remove the calls to the program in the registry.

If I knew where to find the program then I would have done that already and,
as I said in my first post, I can't access the registry at all, I get an
error message when I try.

Kirsty

chrispsg

instead of using regedit try regedt32.

have you tried accessing the registry in safe mode?