Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem with my residence's commercial cable connection

Problem with my residence's commercial cable connection

EnzoGG@gmail.com

So I live in residence and the cable connection here is cogeco
commercial cable split between all of the people in the res...

My current setup is:
1. Wireless Laptop (built in wireless)
2. Desktop with wireless card
3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
no difference.)

Now my connection was ALWAYS fast at my home cable connection (same
company too)

I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
connection?

I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
be appreciated, thanks.

x1134x

You'll probably have to wire one of your computers into the router's
ethernet ports. Connect to it and change the SSID to something
different from default, this will help you know which network you are
connecting to. Start out simple, then change one thing at a time. (
i.e. get it working without security, then add that later, Broadcast
the SSID first, then hide it later.) There's also a reset button on the
router that will set it up to the default configuration again. This
may be the quickest route.

x1134x

Unk

On 11 Nov 2005 13:17:11 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>So I live in residence and the cable connection here is cogeco
>commercial cable split between all of the people in the res...
>
>My current setup is:
>1. Wireless Laptop (built in wireless)
>2. Desktop with wireless card
>3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
>no difference.)
>
>Now my connection was ALWAYS fast at my home cable connection (same
>company too)
>
>I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
>maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
>connection?
>
>I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
>be appreciated, thanks.

Try tweaking the computer's settings: Download the TCP Optimizer (Freeware)
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
I've seen it almost double the speeds over the default settings.

Dan Evans

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
> be appreciated, thanks.

Is this a shared WiFi connection for the whole residence, or your own WiFi
connection that is hooked up to a common cable feed? I'm guessing that the
problem is either:

1. WiFi access point is too far away or there is interference
2. The access point is overloaded.
3. You have your own connection available, but your computer is latching
onto someone elses access point, then loosing the connection and looking for
another.

All reasons why I dislike wireless.

Dan

unluckylanding

On 11 Nov 2005 13:17:11 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>So I live in residence and the cable connection here is cogeco
>commercial cable split between all of the people in the res...
>
>My current setup is:
>1. Wireless Laptop (built in wireless)
>2. Desktop with wireless card
>3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
>no difference.)
>
>Now my connection was ALWAYS fast at my home cable connection (same
>company too)
>
>I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
>maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
>connection?
>
>I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
>be appreciated, thanks.

get off channel 6

Frank

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> So I live in residence and the cable connection here is cogeco
> commercial cable split between all of the people in the res...
>
> My current setup is:
> 1. Wireless Laptop (built in wireless)
> 2. Desktop with wireless card
> 3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
> no difference.)
>
> Now my connection was ALWAYS fast at my home cable connection (same
> company too)
>
> I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
> maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
> connection?
>
> I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
> be appreciated, thanks.

You may be seeing a doppler shift in freq's from other host's wireless
systems. What king of wireless are you using 802.11a,b,g,h? also are you
using encryption to Transmit/receive? Overlaping 802.11b vs g has issues
with data loss and dis-conections.

I'd try WEP encryption and see if that helps.

Or try Windows xp firewall to try and block other systems from being
recieved by your computer.

Frank

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
> no difference.)

WEP is about encryption and securing the access; it isn't supposed to
change the speed. It changes who gets to use the access.

> I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
> maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
> connection?

Check your wireless setup (on the computer that has trouble) and look
for a way to select the wireless channel (1 to 11); you'd prefer
automatic selection, but if it is already set for automatic, you might
check a specific one to see if it is different.

I suggest downloading something large via FTP to compare speeds.