Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Thinking about MCSE. Could use some help.

Thinking about MCSE. Could use some help.

Jim

I maily have been working retail in my 6 year career and I
am looking to get out. Since I was 17 I have been looking
at taking the MCSE. What I want to know would this be a
good thing to go for when I have no other training in the
IT field and my knowlege of computers is basic. Will the
MCSE be all I really need or should I also consider other
certifications?

KLXrider

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:45:45 -0700, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I maily have been working retail in my 6 year career and I
>am looking to get out. Since I was 17 I have been looking
>at taking the MCSE. What I want to know would this be a
>good thing to go for when I have no other training in the
>IT field and my knowlege of computers is basic. Will the
>MCSE be all I really need or should I also consider other
>certifications?

If your only 23 go to college and get a degree. An MCSE might help
you get a job, but a degree will keep you employed longer at a higher
pay.

I don't make this stuff up, you would learn it if you took sociology
(yep billy I'm talking to you).

KLXrider, MCNGP #18

Andy Foster

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

"Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<041e01c35bab$b0aa6c80$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I maily have been working retail in my 6 year career and I
> am looking to get out. Since I was 17 I have been looking
> at taking the MCSE. What I want to know would this be a
> good thing to go for when I have no other training in the
> IT field and my knowlege of computers is basic. Will the
> MCSE be all I really need or should I also consider other
> certifications?

billyw

i agree..
but i still maintain that someone just out of college is pretty useless

"KLXrider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:45:45 -0700, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I maily have been working retail in my 6 year career and I
> >am looking to get out. Since I was 17 I have been looking
> >at taking the MCSE. What I want to know would this be a
> >good thing to go for when I have no other training in the
> >IT field and my knowlege of computers is basic. Will the
> >MCSE be all I really need or should I also consider other
> >certifications?

> If your only 23 go to college and get a degree. An MCSE might help
> you get a job, but a degree will keep you employed longer at a higher
> pay.
>
> I don't make this stuff up, you would learn it if you took sociology
> (yep billy I'm talking to you).
>

> KLXrider, MCNGP #18

KLXrider

On 5 Aug 2003 22:09:51 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Andy Foster)
wrote:

>DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

I think your keyboard is broke.....

KLXrider, MCNGP #18

Politician Spock

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oem43$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> i agree..
> but i still maintain that someone just out of college is pretty useless

Who would you rather have, someone just out of college with a degree in CIS
and no experience, or a person with an MCSE and no experience?

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

"Politician Spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Oem43$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i agree..
> > but i still maintain that someone just out of college is pretty useless

> Who would you rather have, someone just out of college with a degree in

CIS
> and no experience, or a person with an MCSE and no experience?

Depends entirely on the college.

--
Fris "Thompson Institute of Technology" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

billyw

i can answer this question easily.
because i recently had the choice...

someone with a degree had expectations beyond their capability and
usefulness and expected a free lunch.
the mcse without much experience was motivated, didn't expect the world and
had a can do attitude.

"Politician Spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Oem43$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i agree..
> > but i still maintain that someone just out of college is pretty useless

> Who would you rather have, someone just out of college with a degree in

CIS
> and no experience, or a person with an MCSE and no experience?
>
> --
> Politician Spock
> MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. Not responsible for your inability to
> understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary gnomes
> living in my garden, or William Shatner's acting.
> © 2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

billyw

no.. i'm giving you a recent experience.. rather than your half baked made
up views

"Politician Spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i can answer this question easily.
> > because i recently had the choice...
> >
> > someone with a degree had expectations beyond their capability and
> > usefulness and expected a free lunch.
> > the mcse without much experience was motivated, didn't expect the world

> and
> > had a can do attitude.
> >

> Glad to see you are basing your views of society's workforce on what you
> experienced from two people. You never let me down.
>
> --
> Politician Spock
> MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. Not responsible for your inability to
> understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary gnomes
> living in my garden, or William Shatner's acting.
> © 2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

Politician Spock

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> no.. i'm giving you a recent experience.. rather than your half baked made
> up views

If you had a kid who just graduated High School and wanted to pursue an IT
career in a market where no one with no experience, no education, or no
certification is even considered for even the lowest entry level position,
and no one is even willing to allow your kid to do volunteer work, what
would you do? Do you advise him to get his MCSE and then go find a job
(based on your recent experience), or do you advise him to get a college
degree and then find a job? And why?