Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ~All my printers disappeared overnight

~All my printers disappeared overnight

Walter Mautner

Fraud alert! wrote:

> I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP laserjet nor
> my software print-to-pdf application. I went into Printers and Faxes
> (empty) and chose "install new printer" and got an error message that the
> operation could not be completed.
>
> I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update yesterday,
> but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's just today that
> they're gone.

LOL to the other comments
Well, seems your spooler service got corrupted.
Check your event log after you tried to restart the spooler service under
the management - services application.
Maybe you have to start in safe mode to be able to de/reinstall a driver
that's been hosed by the servicepack.

Frank

"Fraud alert!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP laserjet nor
> my software print-to-pdf application. I went into Printers and Faxes

(empty)
> and chose "install new printer" and got an error message that the

operation
> could not be completed.
>
> I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update yesterday,
> but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's just today that
> they're gone.
>
> Any ideas?

When you ran the update you broke all links with the old setup. re run
printer setup and manually load the correct drivers. If this doesn't work
Uninstall and reinstall printer software. Every time you do a major update.
IE: Xp sp1- Xp Sp2 Things like this happen. Also when you ran your update
I hope you disabled you anti-virus software. Runing anti-virus and doing a
mojor update could have corrupted your OS (Windows).

Allways disable Anti-virus, anti-adware, anti-spamware programs. Before

Frank