Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ~All my printers disappeared overnight

~All my printers disappeared overnight

Fraud alert!

I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP laserjet nor
my software print-to-pdf application. I went into Printers and Faxes (empty)
and chose "install new printer" and got an error message that the operation
could not be completed.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update yesterday,
but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's just today that
they're gone.

Any ideas?

Toolman Tim

In news:BkUcf.1911$om5.1142@dukeread04,
Fraud alert! spewed forth:
> I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP
> laserjet nor my software print-to-pdf application. I went into
> Printers and Faxes (empty) and chose "install new printer" and got an
> error message that the operation could not be completed.
>
> I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update
> yesterday, but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's
> just today that they're gone.
>
> Any ideas?

Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

(sorry - just had to do that)

like an idiot.

Blinky the Shark

Fraud alert! wrote:

[see Subject header]

Suggest you lock the doors once it gets dark.

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.

Plato

Fraud alert! wrote:

> I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP laserjet nor
> my software print-to-pdf application. I went into Printers and Faxes (empty)
> and chose "install new printer" and got an error message that the operation
> could not be completed.
>
> I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update yesterday,
> but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's just today that
> they're gone.

Uninstall the update. If that fails, try going to a previous restore
point.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg and many offices
had 16 meg or more installed ie 4, 4 meg simms, there was a gang that
broke into offices in my area and took apart pcs to steal the ram and
hard drives. One day they caught them, it was a small group of asians
that came equipped with electric screwdrivers as one of their burgler
tools. It was just funny seeing the picture in the paper showing the
same Black n Decker drivers I had

Barry OGrady

Call the police!

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Barry OGrady

On 10 Nov 2005 23:00:13 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

>Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>> Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

>Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg

Why, you young whipper snapper! I can remember when ram was $250
for 16K.

Barry OGrady wrote:

> On 10 Nov 2005 23:00:13 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
>
>>Toolman Tim wrote:
>>>
>>> Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

>>Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg

> Why, you young whipper snapper! I can remember when ram was $250
> for 16K.

I remember when memory was...uh...when memory was...hell, I have no
idea what magnetic core memory cost when I wrote my first program in
1965.

<bones creaking>

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Barry OGrady wrote:

>>>Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg

>>Why, you young whipper snapper! I can remember when ram was $250
>>for 16K.

> I remember when memory was...uh...when memory was...hell, I have no
> idea what magnetic core memory cost when I wrote my first program in
> 1965.
>
> <bones creaking>

I remember there weren't any 1 GB DDR chips at Office Depot then. There
wasn't even an Office Depot then. Hell, I had to wait 10 more years
after that before I ever saw a VCR.

Dan Evans

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:437424c5$0$237$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>> Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

> Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg and many offices
> had 16 meg or more installed ie 4, 4 meg simms, there was a gang that
> broke into offices in my area and took apart pcs to steal the ram and
> hard drives. One day they caught them, it was a small group of asians
> that came equipped with electric screwdrivers as one of their burgler
> tools. It was just funny seeing the picture in the paper showing the
> same Black n Decker drivers I had

I don't remeber where it was, but I saw a report in some local paper where
thieves had been cutting holes in the top of PC cases right over the
processor and memory banks to get them out. Did the whole of the county
council offices over christmas.

Dan