Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > KVM switch vs TightVNC?

KVM switch vs TightVNC?

john63401@yahoo.com

Dumb question here....

But if you only had ONE monitor on a small home LAN.... could you use
TightVNC to view the video of any PCs on the LAN vs buying a KVM switch?

Im wanting to put together a small LAN at home for training purposes on
network administration... is why I ask.

Brendon Rogers

Disadvantage with a remote control tool is that the OS has to be up and
running before you can use remote control.

With a KVM switch you have access to the PC even at BIOS level.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dumb question here....
>
> But if you only had ONE monitor on a small home LAN.... could you use
> TightVNC to view the video of any PCs on the LAN vs buying a KVM switch?
>
> Im wanting to put together a small LAN at home for training purposes on
> network administration... is why I ask.

licknlabia

Unless you can afford to purchase something similar to a Raritan
Telereach.....

"Brendon Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Disadvantage with a remote control tool is that the OS has to be up and
running before you can use remote control.

With a KVM switch you have access to the PC even at BIOS level.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dumb question here....
>
> But if you only had ONE monitor on a small home LAN.... could you use
> TightVNC to view the video of any PCs on the LAN vs buying a KVM switch?
>
> Im wanting to put together a small LAN at home for training purposes on
> network administration... is why I ask.

|{evin

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:57:30 -0400, "Brendon Rogers"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Disadvantage with a remote control tool is that the OS has to be up and
>running before you can use remote control.
>
>With a KVM switch you have access to the PC even at BIOS level.

That's what Remote Insight Cards are for.

Brendon Rogers

Remote Insight Lights Out (ILO) by HP / Compaq. Great for remote sites. His
question was about KVM and VNC and I really don't think ILO cards are cost
effective for a home LAN for studying.

"|{evin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:57:30 -0400, "Brendon Rogers"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Disadvantage with a remote control tool is that the OS has to be up and
> >running before you can use remote control.
> >
> >With a KVM switch you have access to the PC even at BIOS level.
> >

> That's what Remote Insight Cards are for.

Gary - US

Yes

--

Semper Fi & God Bless America,

Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
** Kindly Do The Needful **

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dumb question here....
>
> But if you only had ONE monitor on a small home LAN.... could you use
> TightVNC to view the video of any PCs on the LAN vs buying a KVM switch?
>
> Im wanting to put together a small LAN at home for training purposes on
> network administration... is why I ask.

billyw

think for yourself

"Gary - US" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes
>
> --
>
> Semper Fi & God Bless America,
>
> Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead
>
> http://www.mcngp.tk
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
> ** Kindly Do The Needful **
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dumb question here....
> >
> > But if you only had ONE monitor on a small home LAN.... could you use
> > TightVNC to view the video of any PCs on the LAN vs buying a KVM switch?
> >
> > Im wanting to put together a small LAN at home for training purposes on
> > network administration... is why I ask.

Consultant

no

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> think for yourself
>
> "Gary - US" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes
> >
> > --
> >
> > Semper Fi & God Bless America,
> >
> > Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead
> >
> > http://www.mcngp.tk
> > The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
> > ** Kindly Do The Needful **
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Dumb question here....
> > >
> > > But if you only had ONE monitor on a small home LAN.... could you use
> > > TightVNC to view the video of any PCs on the LAN vs buying a KVM

switch?

> > > Im wanting to put together a small LAN at home for training purposes

on
> > > network administration... is why I ask.

|{evin

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:22:58 -0400, "Brendon Rogers"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"|{evin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:57:30 -0400, "Brendon Rogers"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Disadvantage with a remote control tool is that the OS has to be up and
>> >running before you can use remote control.
>> >
>> >With a KVM switch you have access to the PC even at BIOS level.

<smartass>

>> That's what Remote Insight Cards are for.

</smartass>

KVM Switch - 2-port; Dual DVI; USB + Audio autodeletespam@earthlink.net Computer Support 4 01-06-2006 04:51 PM
KVM switch query doS Computer Support 3 04-23-2005 05:56 PM
KVM extender and switch problem James Hanley Computer Information 2 12-16-2004 01:50 PM
need help with kvm switch yawnmoth Computer Information 2 09-25-2004 11:46 PM
KVM switch moses Computer Support 1 11-11-2003 10:33 AM

Advertisments