Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows firewall disabling its self

Windows firewall disabling its self

sheila

hiya

Just got a new Laptop. I've turned off my Norton Firewall as it was causing
networking problems i.e couldn't connect from laptop to desktop. I turned
on the windows firewall with exceptions.

The problem: for some reason I keep finding on start up windows firewall
turned off. I checked Norton and that firewall is still permaneatly
disabled. Would anyone know why this is or how to fix.

Happens when Laptop is off and unconnected.

Also keep getting constant MS RPC Network DDE BO attacks blocked from the
Norton Itrusion security with Norton Internet Security 2005. One IP address
attacking being 86.131.19.219.

Machines Blurb:

Dell 9300 Laptop
Windows XP
Intel Pro 2200BG Wireless thinngy

Compaq desktop
Windows XP
Wireless PCI 802.11b/g adapter WN4201B (Wireless SoftAP - the access point
thinggy)

Compaq desktop Network connections showing:
BT Openworld Broadband - connected firewalled sharing - USB ADSL PPP (YELLOW
PADLOCK ON THIS))

Local Area Connection - Network cable UNPLUGGED - (RealtekRTL8139/810x
Family Fast Ethernet Nic) (RED CROSS ON THIS)

Wireless Network Connection - connected firewalled - Wireless PCI 802.11b/g
adapter WN4201B ( YELLOW PADLOCK ON THIS)

thanks

why?

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:16:05 +0000 (UTC), sheila wrote:

>hiya
>
>Just got a new Laptop. I've turned off my Norton Firewall as it was causing
>networking problems i.e couldn't connect from laptop to desktop. I turned
>on the windows firewall with exceptions.

You will want to uninstall and remove all traces of NF (usually any
Norton product , seems to be a popular opinion), not as easy as it
sounds. There may be some info on the Symantec Support site.

>The problem: for some reason I keep finding on start up windows firewall
>turned off. I checked Norton and that firewall is still permaneatly
>disabled. Would anyone know why this is or how to fix.

Check the WF service, (I could get to hate the non classic menus)
Start / Control Panel / Performance and Monitoring / Administrative
Tools / Services /

Scroll down to Windows Firewall , select the service and right click
(primary mouse button) , Properties , Check the startup type, set to
Automatic.

If it's closing down because of an error -

Start / Control Panel / Performance and Monitoring / Administrative
Tools / Event Viewer

Look through Application and System logs for the date/time you last
booted the PC and see if any of these refer to WF.

Generally the important bits in the error message are the
description , source and event id.

>Happens when Laptop is off and unconnected.
>
>Also keep getting constant MS RPC Network DDE BO attacks blocked from the
>Norton Itrusion security with Norton Internet Security 2005. One IP address
>attacking being 86.131.19.219.

More Norton....

A BT Broadband customer, DNS tools lookup
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=86.131.19.219

Blocking is good, you can , if it's popup notices then disable them but
you need to check your logs just to see it's looking okay.

<snip>

Me

sheila

"> Scroll down to Windows Firewall , select the service and right click
> (primary mouse button) , Properties , Check the startup type, set to
> Automatic."

Done that and it is automatic.

"> Look through Application and System logs for the date/time you last
> booted the PC and see if any of these refer to WF."

Don't think anything referred to WF, I have:
The ASPI32 service failed to start due to the following error:

AND

The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution
servers from the registry. The data is the error code.

AND

A provider, OffProv10, has been registered in the WMI namespace,
Root\MSAPPS10, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider
will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and
the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly
impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for
security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider
registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the
required functionality. winmgmt

AND

TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is
32. EvntAgnt

"> A BT Broadband customer, DNS tools lookup
> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=86.131.19.219"

I'm on BTbroadband !!

Thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:16:05 +0000 (UTC), sheila wrote:
>
>>hiya
>>
>>Just got a new Laptop. I've turned off my Norton Firewall as it was
>>causing
>>networking problems i.e couldn't connect from laptop to desktop. I turned
>>on the windows firewall with exceptions.

> You will want to uninstall and remove all traces of NF (usually any
> Norton product , seems to be a popular opinion), not as easy as it
> sounds. There may be some info on the Symantec Support site.
>
>>The problem: for some reason I keep finding on start up windows firewall
>>turned off. I checked Norton and that firewall is still permaneatly
>>disabled. Would anyone know why this is or how to fix.

> Check the WF service, (I could get to hate the non classic menus)
> Start / Control Panel / Performance and Monitoring / Administrative
> Tools / Services /
>
> Scroll down to Windows Firewall , select the service and right click
> (primary mouse button) , Properties , Check the startup type, set to
> Automatic.
>
> If it's closing down because of an error -
>
> Start / Control Panel / Performance and Monitoring / Administrative
> Tools / Event Viewer
>
> Look through Application and System logs for the date/time you last
> booted the PC and see if any of these refer to WF.
>
> Generally the important bits in the error message are the
> description , source and event id.
>
>>Happens when Laptop is off and unconnected.
>>
>>Also keep getting constant MS RPC Network DDE BO attacks blocked from the
>>Norton Itrusion security with Norton Internet Security 2005. One IP
>>address
>>attacking being 86.131.19.219.

> More Norton....
>
> A BT Broadband customer, DNS tools lookup
> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=86.131.19.219
>
> Blocking is good, you can , if it's popup notices then disable them but
> you need to check your logs just to see it's looking okay.
>
> <snip>
>
> Me

why?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:14:32 +0000 (UTC), sheila wrote:

How are you sharing the connection internet connection between the
desktop / laptop? Are you using ICS (Interner Connection Sharing)?

Never been fond of that, and only tried it as a test once. It easier to
user a router / firewall solution.

It may be you have a Norton / ICS conflict with the Windows Firewall.

I would still think you should try the online Symantec support and see
if they have any articles or fixes for ICS / Win FW issues.

>"> Scroll down to Windows Firewall , select the service and right click
>> (primary mouse button) , Properties , Check the startup type, set to
>> Automatic."

Instead of copy/pasting parts of the message back up to the top, it's a
lot easier to reply in-line (as this bit is). The point / query has the
reply right below it.

>Done that and it is automatic.

Almost thought that may be the case.

>"> Look through Application and System logs for the date/time you last
>> booted the PC and see if any of these refer to WF."

>Don't think anything referred to WF, I have:
>The ASPI32 service failed to start due to the following error:
>The system cannot find the file specified.

ASPI is a device driver for SCSI devices like optical drives, arrays of
disks , tape drives.

>AND
>
>The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution
>servers from the registry. The data is the error code.

Haven't see that before.

http://www.google.com/search?q=The+D...utf-8&oe=utf-8
or shorter
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N1576132C

Could be the firewall blocking DNS requests on port 53. If you are
having other problems then the firewall issues only.

>AND
>
>A provider, OffProv10, has been registered in the WMI namespace,
>Root\MSAPPS10, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider
>will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and

<snip rest of message>

Seems to be a common issue
http://www.google.com/search?q=A+pro...utf-8&oe=utf-8
or shorter
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2C61232C

Doesn't appear to be a solution but I checked only a few of the posts
the above search found.

>AND
>
>TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is
>32. EvntAgnt

Remember what I said about Event ID numbers?

The above message , see this MS article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889082
You most likely want method 1 to get rid of that logged message.

SNMP is generally something not needed for home use.

Some of these may also be described as Warnings, Errors or Information.
If there aren't too many errors and it's the same 1 or 2 everytime you
boot I usually don't bother fixing them.

>"> A BT Broadband customer, DNS tools lookup
>> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=86.131.19.219"

>I'm on BTbroadband !!

Saw that in your post headers. Well another one has a problem with thier
PC.