Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Does Real Player support spyware?

Does Real Player support spyware?

rum430

I downloaded Real Player years ago and haven't used it for a year or so.
(Still puttering along on Windows 9 Not long ago, I added Zone Alarm
free spyware checker. Thinking that it periodically checks for updates,
I allowed it. In the past month or so, Real Player attempts to access
the internet daily. Why? Shall I just blow it away?

Scraggy

rum430 wrote:
> I downloaded Real Player years ago snip

Shall I just blow it away?

Yes. Use Real Alternative
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
members. Groucho Marx

Trax

"rum430" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I downloaded Real Player years ago and haven't used it for a year or so.
|>(Still puttering along on Windows 9 Not long ago, I added Zone Alarm
|>free spyware checker. Thinking that it periodically checks for updates,
|>I allowed it. In the past month or so, Real Player attempts to access
|>the internet daily. Why? Shall I just blow it away?

It phones home and reports what sites you've been viewing.

--
History's Worst Software Bugs
http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,69355,00.html

Trax

Trax <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>It phones home and reports what sites you've been viewing.

Let me rephrase this, it reports what sites you've been to while using
Real Player.

--
History's Worst Software Bugs
http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,69355,00.html

Evan Platt

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:44:08 GMT, "rum430" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I downloaded Real Player years ago and haven't used it for a year or so.
>(Still puttering along on Windows 9 Not long ago, I added Zone Alarm
>free spyware checker. Thinking that it periodically checks for updates,
>I allowed it. In the past month or so, Real Player attempts to access
>the internet daily.

Real Player is the biggest piece of spyware out there, and Real
Networks are some of the biggest slimeballs on the planet.

I remember a while back (before I became wise in the ways of the Jedi)
installed Real Player. After having to uncheck 400 "Yes, I want spam"
boxes, I gave them a tagged address. After that, the address got
spammed so often, it wasn't funny. I now shudder of the fact that the
software was probably sucking my bandwidth dry phoning home.

>Why?

To phone home.

>Shall I just blow it away?

Good idea.

PC

"rum430" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I downloaded Real Player years ago and haven't used it for a year or so.
> (Still puttering along on Windows 9 Not long ago, I added Zone Alarm
> free spyware checker. Thinking that it periodically checks for updates,
> I allowed it. In the past month or so, Real Player attempts to access
> the internet daily. Why? Shall I just blow it away?

First purpose of RP is to play media, the second is to report home i.e.
spyware.

Others say it is the otherway round, they may well be right.

P.

Arthur Pewtey

"Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> drooled:

>rum430 wrote:
>> I downloaded Real Player years ago snip

> Shall I just blow it away?
>
>Yes. Use Real Alternative
>http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

No Use JetAudio:
www.jetaudio.com/

--

Stop Verisign DNS Abuse!:
http://www.whois.sc/verisign-dns/

The Boulder Pledge:
"Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me
as the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward
chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large
numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the
online community."
- as proposed by Roger Ebert
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...boulder+pledge

"It's amazing I won. I was running against
peace, prosperity, and incumbency."
- Dubya Bush, June 14 2001, unaware that live
television cameras were still rolling.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia:
a fear of long words...

Profanisaurus (now):http://tinyurl.com/ajbwm
http://www.limmy.com/playthings/xylophone/
http://www.mediaboy.net/1010100-1100001-1111010/gahk/

'the real TOMMY Tutalidge' wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed): - "The people that post in yenc have a
pickle shoved up their arse."
& '-= Hawk =-' replied in message
news:nkhdcv4c8uga0jonl0jpcgr8mt3g6m49na@news-server: - "And the people
(like you) who whine about yEnc eat those pickles."

- Panama!"- Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

zar 2k5 - ULC Minister
AND
http://www.drcnet.org/ http://www.timecube.com/
NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!1! on a lits...

Infinity is where things happen that don't
- Anonymous

Der Weg ist das Ziel

sic transit gloria mundi

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
01 - Those who can count in binary.
10 - Those who can't.

etc.