Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP help needed over here...

Windows XP help needed over here...

DoubleD

I need some help, I have a computer (with Windows XP Professional SP2
that when I right click on the desktop and select properties nothin
opens up. Or if I go through the control panel and try to ope
something up, nothing happens. I installed Registry Mechanic and ran i
and it did not correct the problem. I also read about repairing Window
using the WINNT.EXE in the i386 folder and that did not even finish, s
that did not work. Anybody have any ideas????? Please help

DD

--
Double
DoubleD's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1606

jholland1964

Why don't you try ALL the steps here '*ATTENTION: Read Me Before Postin
For Help!!*' (http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-1819059447.html) and se
what, if anything shows

--
jholland196
jholland1964's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1050

PC

"DoubleD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I need some help, I have a computer (with Windows XP Professional SP2)
> that when I right click on the desktop and select properties nothing
> opens up. Or if I go through the control panel and try to open
> something up, nothing happens. I installed Registry Mechanic and ran it
> and it did not correct the problem. I also read about repairing Windows
> using the WINNT.EXE in the i386 folder and that did not even finish, so
> that did not work. Anybody have any ideas????? Please help.
>

> DD.
>

> --
> DoubleD
> DoubleD's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=16064
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819104883

DD

I spend a lot of time each month cleaning up PC's with Virus & Spyware
infections.
Your symptoms are very typical of a Virus or Spyware infection that has
compromised your PC
Programs like Registry Mechanic though competent at what they do are 'not'
Anti Virus / Anti Spyware programs.

I have had a quick look at the forum that 'jholland1964' suggested
(http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-1819059447.html)
and can only encourage you to follow the steps therein. ALL the steps.

If you do not feel inclined to follow those steps then your only (repeat
'only') realistic alternative is to reformat and reinstall.

BTW running WinNT.exe is not a good idea for XP, reinstallation it is best
done by booting from the XP CD, especially as there is a version of
WinNT.exe that is in fact a Virus
(http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-1819059447.html)

Best of luck
Paul.