Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CRT Monitor Distortion In The Uppermost Inch Of Display (only) ?

Reply
Thread Tools

CRT Monitor Distortion In The Uppermost Inch Of Display (only) ?

 
 
Robert11
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2005
Hello:

Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
Really like it.

All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.

Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
horizontal
the letters are "stretched".

Any thoughts on this ?

Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?

Thanks,
Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2005
Robert11 wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
> About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
> Really like it.
>
> All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
> it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
> of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
>
> Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
> horizontal
> the letters are "stretched".
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob


1) could be dying
2) could be an incorrect refresh rate
3) could be other incorrect video driver settings
4) could be the monitor only needs degaussing

--
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
like an idiot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kenny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2005
there are many controls that are ON the monitor that control the geometry of
the image.
If you dont know how to use the control I would suggest you read the manual,
or if you no longer have it, find the manual online and learn how to use the
controls.
If whatever you do with the controls, the image does not fix, it means its a
hardware problem and not a setting.

as for the other poster, I have NEVER seen a bad driver or Gauss do what the
OP says.

--
--
HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello:
>
> Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
> About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
> Really like it.
>
> All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
> it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
> of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
>
> Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
> horizontal
> the letters are "stretched".
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2005
Kenny wrote:
> there are many controls that are ON the monitor that control the
> geometry of the image.
> If you dont know how to use the control I would suggest you read the
> manual, or if you no longer have it, find the manual online and learn
> how to use the controls.
> If whatever you do with the controls, the image does not fix, it
> means its a hardware problem and not a setting.
>
> as for the other poster, I have NEVER seen a bad driver or Gauss do
> what the OP says.
>

Distortion in the monitor can frequently be caused by a magnetized CRT. If
the degaussing circuits in the monitor have failed, you can get varying
forms of distortion.

And if you have a bad driver running in the wrong frequency you can get
distortion as well. I've had the top of the screen roll over on itself
upside down halfway down the screen. Changing the video driver cleared it
right up.

Try a bad video memory bank sometime and see what you get...it's truly
amazing.


> --
>> Hello:
>>
>> Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
>> About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
>> Really like it.
>>
>> All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
>> it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
>> of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
>>
>> Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in
>> the horizontal
>> the letters are "stretched".
>>
>> Any thoughts on this ?
>>
>> Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob


--
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
like an idiot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kenny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2005
I know very well what a magnetized screen looks like, also I know how bad
drivers and bad refresh rates can distort a screen image. But all these do
not look like what the OP says.

I keep seeing people post the "check your video drivers" solution for ANY
problem related with screen distortions.. and in my opinion that is wrong
and misleading.



--
--
HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VBQbf.11141$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kenny wrote:
>> there are many controls that are ON the monitor that control the
>> geometry of the image.
>> If you dont know how to use the control I would suggest you read the
>> manual, or if you no longer have it, find the manual online and learn
>> how to use the controls.
>> If whatever you do with the controls, the image does not fix, it
>> means its a hardware problem and not a setting.
>>
>> as for the other poster, I have NEVER seen a bad driver or Gauss do
>> what the OP says.
>>

> Distortion in the monitor can frequently be caused by a magnetized CRT. If
> the degaussing circuits in the monitor have failed, you can get varying
> forms of distortion.
>
> And if you have a bad driver running in the wrong frequency you can get
> distortion as well. I've had the top of the screen roll over on itself
> upside down halfway down the screen. Changing the video driver cleared it
> right up.
>
> Try a bad video memory bank sometime and see what you get...it's truly
> amazing.
>
>
>> --
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
>>> About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
>>> Really like it.
>>>
>>> All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
>>> it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
>>> of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
>>>
>>> Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in
>>> the horizontal
>>> the letters are "stretched".
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on this ?
>>>
>>> Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>
> --
> There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
> like an idiot.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
DemoDisk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2005

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello:
>
> Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
> About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
> Really like it.
>
> All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
> it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
> of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
>
> Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
> horizontal
> the letters are "stretched".
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob



Here's something that may help you, if you can find a good repair shop.
The place I went to totally screwed it up and I replaced it with a Dell
1905FP. Then the motherboard went ... ohhh, nevermind.

JPM
=================
DemoDisk
Apr 8 2004, 1:58 am

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: "DemoDisk"
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 02:57:39 -0500
Local: Thurs, Apr 8 2004 1:57 am
Subject: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top of
screen

This is my first time posting here, and I hope this is the right place
for
this problem.

An area about 2.5 cm at the top of my Win 98 desktop shows extra
lines --
white, gray, a few black -- just after starting. Icons in this area look
stretched vertically and at the very top of the screen they look "folded
back" on themselves. When I move the mouse pointer to its upward limit,
before it stops it emerges again stretched and heading downward.

The area spans the screen and used to shrink to about 4mm high after ten
minutes or so. Lately I've noticed that it doesn't reduce as much (ie,
problem getting worse?). If I shut the monitor off with Win98 running
and
then turn it on again, they're back.

One odd thing is, the length of each successive line is a bit less than
the
one above it, so the ends of the "band" are angled inward. Also, the
Win98
splash screen doesn't show the lines during boot-up. Weird?

I've been thinking maybe a reinforcing wire on the mask broke? Someone
suggested a "broken sweep generator." I hope it's a software problem and
not
the monitor, but please tell me if you know what it is and what to do.
Please help if you can. Thanks.

Oh, and it's a Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751.

JPM


Jerry G.
Apr 8 2004, 8:20 am

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: "Jerry G."
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:59:18 -0400
Local: Thurs, Apr 8 2004 7:59 am
Subject: Re: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top
of screen

Defective capacitors in the vertical amp section in the monitor are
usually
the normal cause of this. It is possible to have some semiconductor or
other
component failures to cause this, but not very often. If you continue
to
use the monitor this way, there will be more damage, thus increasing the
cost of the repair as usage goes on. Take the monitor to a service
centre
that is authorized to work on computer monitors. This type of repair
should
generally not be too expensive.

After your monitor is properly serviced, it will work normally again.

Jerry Greenberg



 
Reply With Quote
 
DemoDisk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2005

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello:
>
> Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
> About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
> Really like it.
>
> All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
> it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
> of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
>
> Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
> horizontal
> the letters are "stretched".
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob



Here's something that may help you, if you can find a good repair shop.
The place I went to totally screwed it up and I replaced it with a Dell
1905FP. Then the motherboard went ... ohhh, nevermind.

JPM
=================
DemoDisk
Apr 8 2004, 1:58 am

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: "DemoDisk"
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 02:57:39 -0500
Local: Thurs, Apr 8 2004 1:57 am
Subject: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top of
screen

This is my first time posting here, and I hope this is the right place
for
this problem.

An area about 2.5 cm at the top of my Win 98 desktop shows extra
lines --
white, gray, a few black -- just after starting. Icons in this area look
stretched vertically and at the very top of the screen they look "folded
back" on themselves. When I move the mouse pointer to its upward limit,
before it stops it emerges again stretched and heading downward.

The area spans the screen and used to shrink to about 4mm high after ten
minutes or so. Lately I've noticed that it doesn't reduce as much (ie,
problem getting worse?). If I shut the monitor off with Win98 running
and
then turn it on again, they're back.

One odd thing is, the length of each successive line is a bit less than
the
one above it, so the ends of the "band" are angled inward. Also, the
Win98
splash screen doesn't show the lines during boot-up. Weird?

I've been thinking maybe a reinforcing wire on the mask broke? Someone
suggested a "broken sweep generator." I hope it's a software problem and
not
the monitor, but please tell me if you know what it is and what to do.
Please help if you can. Thanks.

Oh, and it's a Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751.

JPM


Jerry G.
Apr 8 2004, 8:20 am

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: "Jerry G."
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:59:18 -0400
Local: Thurs, Apr 8 2004 7:59 am
Subject: Re: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top
of screen

Defective capacitors in the vertical amp section in the monitor are
usually
the normal cause of this. It is possible to have some semiconductor or
other
component failures to cause this, but not very often. If you continue
to
use the monitor this way, there will be more damage, thus increasing the
cost of the repair as usage goes on. Take the monitor to a service
centre
that is authorized to work on computer monitors. This type of repair
should
generally not be too expensive.

After your monitor is properly serviced, it will work normally again.

Jerry Greenberg



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Identifying the uppermost object visible at top of page while scrolling craigslist.jg@gmail.com Javascript 1 09-15-2007 08:33 AM
Re: CRT Monitor Distortion In The Uppermost Inch Of Display (only) ? DemoDisk Computer Support 2 11-16-2005 06:57 AM
19 inch vs 17 inch LCD akiwi NZ Computing 40 04-27-2005 12:38 AM
My 17in CRT monitor display flickers a few times a day David Computer Support 6 09-17-2004 06:56 PM
Film scanner for 2 1/4 inch by 2 1/4 inch James E Koehler Digital Photography 6 10-16-2003 01:32 PM



Advertisments