Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVD Writers

DVD Writers

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't the
dog's *******s.

Ta

is but a dream within a dream.

doS

Pionner 109 or 110

"Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <gazwad@my-****-dont-stink.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .erotica.sex.with.skeletons...
> Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't the
> dog's *******s.
>
> Ta
>
> --
> For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down
> in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived
> it. There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which
> are not thoughts, and to which as yet I have found it absolutely
> impossible to adapt to language. These fancies arise in the soul, alas
> how rarely. Only at epochs of most intense tranquillity, when the
> bodily and mental health are in perfection. And at those weird points
> of time, where the confines of the waking world blend with the world of
> dreams. And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or seem,
> is but a dream within a dream.

relic

Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:
> Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't
> the dog's *******s.

Fastest: Plextor, either the SATA or the Ultra DMA-4 PX-716 models.
It usually can read a bad disk better than my Toshiba too.

--
Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it.
That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

relic, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the mucinous, dehydrated cutpurse, and
middleman who negotiates prices between clients and prostitutes, uttered:

> Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:
>> Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't
>> the dog's *******s.

> Fastest: Plextor, either the SATA or the Ultra DMA-4 PX-716 models.
> It usually can read a bad disk better than my Toshiba too.

I've always used Pioneer but found they sometimes have difficulty reading
disks they have just written, whereas a cheap and nasty combo drive can read
the disks ok. Also I sometimes get told that I can only burn at 4 speed
despite the insertion of an 8 or 16 speed blank. Tests have proven that
it's not the media nor the software but the writer itself, a firmware
upgrade hasn't made any difference either.

I do have a Plextor CD writer, years old and still going pretty well, never
had a single problem with it.

I'm not so certain about using an SATA connector for an optical drive
although I do have the capacity on my motherboard (4 SATA ports altogether).
The objection is that it limits the other systems that I could then use the
drive in.

I'll have a look at the Pioneer drives but most of the retailers I use sell
NEC, Sanyo, Pioneer and those liteon pieces of crap.

is but a dream within a dream.

relic

Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:
> relic, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the mucinous, dehydrated
> cutpurse, and middleman who negotiates prices between clients and
> prostitutes, uttered:
>
>> Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:
>>> Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't
>>> the dog's *******s.

>> Fastest: Plextor, either the SATA or the Ultra DMA-4 PX-716 models.
>> It usually can read a bad disk better than my Toshiba too.

> I've always used Pioneer but found they sometimes have difficulty
> reading disks they have just written, whereas a cheap and nasty combo
> drive can read the disks ok. Also I sometimes get told that I can
> only burn at 4 speed despite the insertion of an 8 or 16 speed
> blank. Tests have proven that it's not the media nor the software but
> the writer itself, a firmware upgrade hasn't made any difference
> either.
>
> I do have a Plextor CD writer, years old and still going pretty well,
> never had a single problem with it.
>
> I'm not so certain about using an SATA connector for an optical drive
> although I do have the capacity on my motherboard (4 SATA ports
> altogether). The objection is that it limits the other systems that I
> could then use the drive in.
>
> I'll have a look at the Pioneer drives but most of the retailers I
> use sell NEC, Sanyo, Pioneer and those liteon pieces of crap.

My Plextor is the IDE version, runs at UDMA4/66 and has been very reliable.
Usually runs at MAX or one speed greater (8X Media often writes at 12X). If
I feed it 16X, it always writes at 16X. With some 8X media, my Toshiba will
only write at 4X.

If you want to look at cheap models, I'd avoid the NEC's too. See if you can
find a BTC/Emprex, they run ~$39 and are pretty damn good. I put them in my
Grandsons' PCs, no problems to date.

--
Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it.
That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

Walt & Lisa

"relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0jsbf.15244$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:
>> relic, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the mucinous, dehydrated
>> cutpurse, and middleman who negotiates prices between clients and
>> prostitutes, uttered:

>>> Fastest: Plextor, either the SATA or the Ultra DMA-4 PX-716 models.
>>> It usually can read a bad disk better than my Toshiba too.

>> I've always used Pioneer but found they sometimes have difficulty
>> reading disks they have just written, whereas a cheap and nasty combo
>> drive can read the disks ok. Also I sometimes get told that I can
>> only burn at 4 speed despite the insertion of an 8 or 16 speed
>> blank. Tests have proven that it's not the media nor the software but
>> the writer itself, a firmware upgrade hasn't made any difference
>> either.
>>
>> I do have a Plextor CD writer, years old and still going pretty well,
>> never had a single problem with it.
>>
>> I'm not so certain about using an SATA connector for an optical drive
>> although I do have the capacity on my motherboard (4 SATA ports
>> altogether). The objection is that it limits the other systems that I
>> could then use the drive in.
>>
>> I'll have a look at the Pioneer drives but most of the retailers I
>> use sell NEC, Sanyo, Pioneer and those liteon pieces of crap.

> My Plextor is the IDE version, runs at UDMA4/66 and has been very
> reliable. Usually runs at MAX or one speed greater (8X Media often writes
> at 12X). If I feed it 16X, it always writes at 16X. With some 8X media, my
> Toshiba will only write at 4X.
>
> If you want to look at cheap models, I'd avoid the NEC's too. See if you
> can find a BTC/Emprex, they run ~$39 and are pretty damn good. I put them
> in my Grandsons' PCs, no problems to date.
>
> --
> Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it.
> That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

I have a Lite-on DVDRW Sohw-1673S, Came with NERO software. I like the drive
and have had no problems with it, however the software is a little hard to
get use to.

sbb78247

Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:
> Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't
> the dog's *******s.
>
> Ta

i use the nec 3500a - other than being a bit slow on dual layer (early
adopter blues, eh?), it has yet to make a coaster. Plextor cdr/w drives
always were nice and stable, but i have yet to use one on dvd.

sbb78247

keon.starfire@gmail.com

I own a "NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW
16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner -
OEM"

A couple weekends ago the drives were on sale for $38.98 with free
three-day shipping. I bought one, so did two of my friends. The drive
may be inexpensive, but it still works like a charm... I've burned many
DVD-R and +R with this drive and would recommend. No bad burns yet.
On Newegg, the drive has 591 reviewers and an average of 5/5 approval
rating.

-KS

Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:
> Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't the
> dog's *******s.
>
> Ta
>
> --
> For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down
> in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived
> it. There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which
> are not thoughts, and to which as yet I have found it absolutely
> impossible to adapt to language. These fancies arise in the soul, alas
> how rarely. Only at epochs of most intense tranquillity, when the
> bodily and mental health are in perfection. And at those weird points
> of time, where the confines of the waking world blend with the world of
> dreams. And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or seem,
> is but a dream within a dream.

j walker

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:16:48 +0000, Lord Gazwad of Grantham
<gazwad@my-****-dont-stink.com> wrote:

>Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't the
>dog's *******s.
>
>Ta

Can someone recommend a decent piece of software to use with a NEC DVD
writer.

I know nothing about the process and just want to burn some files and
some DVD's that I have which were created from VCR tapes and burned to
DVD by a friend who has the equipment.

Thanks for any help.

nos1eep

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:42:34 -0600, j walker <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed
the following drivel:

>On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:16:48 +0000, Lord Gazwad of Grantham
><gazwad@my-****-dont-stink.com> wrote:
>
>>Opinions on what you use and what you think is better if yours isn't

the
>>dog's *******s.
>>
>>Ta

>Can someone recommend a decent piece of software to use with a NEC

DVD
>writer.
>
>I know nothing about the process and just want to burn some files and
>some DVD's that I have which were created from VCR tapes and burned

>DVD by a friend who has the equipment.
>
>Thanks for any help.

Most people just use Nero 6.6.x.x. It works.
__

-nos1eep

CD-DVD Writers moi Computer Support 3 09-09-2005 07:24 PM
2 DVD writers in one PC? Kenny Computer Support 6 09-08-2004 07:28 PM
A question about dvd/cd writers Hannibal Hayes Computer Support 6 05-13-2004 07:30 AM
F.A Via Ebay U.K :- Xbox - P.C - Playstatin 2 - Games and Hardware (Dvd Writers-Memory-H.D's ) No Reserves Paulmw DVD Video 0 01-11-2004 06:17 PM
Slim external DVD writers Alfred Molon Digital Photography 1 09-21-2003 04:53 AM

Advertisments