Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How can I increase font sizes in Outlook Express 6?

How can I increase font sizes in Outlook Express 6?

All Things Mopar

Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.

I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
lower left.

When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
compose is just barely readable.

How can I increase it? Thank you.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre

Bill P

"All Things Mopar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.
>
> I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
> mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
> font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
> increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
> screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
> lower left.
>
> When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
> buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
> compose is just barely readable.
>
> How can I increase it? Thank you.
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry
>
> "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
> your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
> pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre

Hi Jerry
You could try Clear Type first to see if that helps.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/Step1.aspx

Regards
Bill

The Old Sourdough

All Things Mopar quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.
>
> I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
> mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
> font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
> increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
> screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
> lower left.
>
> When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
> buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
> compose is just barely readable.
>
> How can I increase it? Thank you.

One way: Display Properties>Appearance tab>in the Item drop-down box select
"Icon", and choose your font settings. Of course, this will also change your
desktop icon settings.

--
The Old Sourdough
A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.-

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

All Things Mopar, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the ignorant, greasy-haired
trainspotter, and person who sells worthless goods on commission, bawled:

> Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.
>
> I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
> mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
> font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
> increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
> screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
> lower left.
>
> When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
> buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
> compose is just barely readable.
>
> How can I increase it? Thank you.

Select the correct "screen size", you dumb ****.

is but a dream within a dream.

All Things Mopar

Today Bill P spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
edification:

> Hi Jerry
> You could try Clear Type first to see if that helps.
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...tuner/Step1.as
> px

Thanks,Bill. I have Clear Type turned on already, but couldn't
find a spot that controls *only* the font sizes in OE.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre

All Things Mopar

Today The Old Sourdough spoke these views with conviction for
everyone's edification:

> One way: Display Properties>Appearance tab>in the Item
> drop-down box select "Icon", and choose your font settings.
> Of course, this will also change your desktop icon
> settings.

Old Sourdough? Anywho, thanks.

I didn't want to change the font size for the icons because I
can read them OK. I did up the size from 8 to 9 for "Menus",
which helps a lot in OE6, except that all the rest of my menu
text is a bit too large!

I checked everywhere within Windoze I could think of, including
Tweak UI, but came up blank. I did a quick and dirty search of
the MS KB but didn't see anything there, either. The KB is a
very valuable tool, *if* you can figure out the exact search
phrase it likes. If you miss even a little, you either don't see
what you're looking for or you see lots of entries which don't
apply.

Later today, I"ll try Googling. Here's the deal, though: Up
until yesterday, the font sizes looked OK to me. I've been
running SP2 on my new box for a week now, and I looked for a
"history" of what I'd changed (I create RPs so I can look back
to see what I've installed, modified or uninstalled) and saw
nothing obvious.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre

All Things Mopar

Today Lord Gazwad of Grantham spoke these views with
conviction for everyone's edification:

> Select the correct "screen size", you dumb ****.

First, I'm not a ****, I'm a prick. But, besides your just being
a troll with nothing to contribute, maybe you could enlighten us
all as to what the "correct" screen size is?

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre

Paul_B

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 07:50:42 -0600, All Things Mopar wrote:

> When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
> buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
> compose is just barely readable.
>
> How can I increase it? Thank you.

See if your answer isn't at Display Properties/Settings/Advanced,
perhaps in combo with the Appearance tab.

Paul

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

All Things Mopar, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the deafened, seven-chinned turd
burglar, and vagrant who regulates the workings of the watermeadows,
sniveled:

> Today Lord Gazwad of Grantham spoke these views with
> conviction for everyone's edification:
>
>> Select the correct "screen size", you dumb ****.

> First, I'm not a ****, I'm a prick. But, besides your just being
> a troll with nothing to contribute, maybe you could enlighten us
> all as to what the "correct" screen size is?

Is it fair to assume you didn't buy a decent LCD monitor you miserly ****?
If you bought one with the native resolution that you mentioned then you're
a bigger **** than you at first seemed to be.

is but a dream within a dream.

Mitch

In article <Xns970659F9FFB46ReplyID@216.196.97.131>, All Things Mopar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.
>
> I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
> mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
> font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
> increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
> screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
> lower left.

So, you're sending HTML, which is just a bad idea, and you have the
preview pane of OE displayed, which is just foolish?