Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > so long closing down computer

so long closing down computer

Paul Bennett

why is it that my computer takes so long to close down. I can understand it
if I have a lot of apps working but when it gets to the blue "Windows is
shutting down"screen it hangs about for ages until it finally powers off?
any suggestions

Paul Bennett

dabaconboy

"Paul Bennett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> why is it that my computer takes so long to close down. I can understand

it
> if I have a lot of apps working but when it gets to the blue "Windows is
> shutting down"screen it hangs about for ages until it finally powers off?
> any suggestions
>
> Paul Bennett

i know what you mean because i get it. so i am open to suggestions please if
anybody can help

why?

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 08:44:23 -0000, Paul Bennett wrote:

>why is it that my computer takes so long to close down. I can understand it
>if I have a lot of apps working but when it gets to the blue "Windows is
>shutting down"screen it hangs about for ages until it finally powers off?
>any suggestions

Try the often posted in 24HSHD
list of links about Windows Shutdown issues.

Then there are the specific MS Windows newsgroups.

It's not been very long since it was posted, however the only problem is
you *didn't* say what version of Windows, maybe it's not important.

Here is the list anyway, if it's not a version of Windows you have then
search the articles / sites mentioned.

-start copy of an Oct 21 post, source info ripped from varoius posts-

looking for - windows xp shutdown
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...earch?q=window...

Saying that, there ara a lot of previous posts with lots of links to XP
sites and shutdown articles.

Here they are again.

Results 1 - 10 of 84 from Jan 1, 2005 to Oct 21
windows xp shutdown
group:24hoursupport.helpdesk
(0.27 seconds)

From an Unk post -

Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806

Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

"Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

"It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try to
Shut Down Your WinXP,
Win2000 Computer. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

You cannot log off, restart, or shut down your Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831431

Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307274

You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320008

Boot or shutdown problems after Service Pack 2 installation
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#B...blems_after_Se...

Which is pretty much the same list as many other posts as it's reposted
so many times.

-end copy-

>Paul Bennett

Me