Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Trying find how to reset the permissions on a WinXP Home w SP2 registry keys

Trying find how to reset the permissions on a WinXP Home w SP2 registry keys

Vic

The only thing I seem to be able to find at the Microsoft site all deals
with some version of office. I tried some of the first few suggestions but I
could not find anything that was actually applicable.

At the Symantec site mostly talked about going in and resetting the
permissions for HKLM but whenever I try that I just get a different saying
cannot open error while opening file or an error saying that I don't have
adminstrative privlages.

The brandeis link delt with the Norton Corporate edition but it suggested
trying the SymNRT removal utilities, so I tried that the program ran
successfully but still I have the same problem.

The expert exchange looks like it might have some relavent data but I don't
have a paid membership so I really don't have access to the solution.

Board blog was really only for a Mac it linked back to the symantec site for
Symantec Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh DiskMountNotify Local Privilege
Escalation and the adobe link tells you to set the permissions to inherit
which I cannot do at this time.

The microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...id=2509&sid=54 but only
applies to windows 98, 98se & me no help there.

Near as I can tell Zone Alarm has never been on the system

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01092114452606 is for
NAV 2003 or earlier for newer you must use
but even after this I am still receiving the same error.

I have found countless messages on board that deal with error 1402 and the
vast majority of them deal with some kind of permission on the registry key.

Any other ideas or on a way to narrow the seach down to actually find a
solution?

Thanks
Vic

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:22:09 GMT, Vic wrote:

>I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home w/SP2 and

Windows issues, as it's a MS product

>it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the
>HKLM\software\interfaces\ ... I used the regedit to look at the key and it
>tells me that I do not have permission to view or delete it. I have tried

Try the Symantec support site,
http://www.symantec.com/search/
Results for: error 1402
21318 results found, top 500 sorted by relevance
hide summaries 1-10 next

failing that www.google.com among several items for -

norton antivirus 2005 error 1402

Norton Installation Error
01:03 AM, Norton Installation Error. I had to uninstall some anti-virus
as it
was being ... Cause: Error 1920 and 1402 are caused by the application
(Norton ...
http://my.brandeis.edu/bboard/q-and-...?msg_id=0002MK - 16k -
Cached - Similar pages

Experts Exchange - All Viruses Questions Page 3
While installing Norton AntiVirus 2005, I'm prompted with the following
option.
.... Add and remove function in main windows I recive this error: Error
1402. ...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl...estions_3.html - 49k
- Cached - Similar pages

Experts Exchange - Time Tested Viruses Solutions Page 4
Using the Add and remove function in main windows I recive this
error: Error 1402.
... Command line options for Norton AntiVirus 2005 (162 views) ...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl...lutions_4.html -
50k - Cached - Similar pages

BugBlog October 2005
10/21/2005 Local Attacks Possible via Norton AntiVirus for Macs.
Security researchers
at iDefense found a bug ... Error 1402: Could not open key [key name]
www.bjkresearch.com/bugblog/ - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

BugBlog September 2005
Error 1402: Could not open key [key name] ... 6 and you are
experiencing conflicts
with Symantec Norton AntiVirus, then update Zone Alarm to
6.0.667.000. ...
www.bjkresearch.com/bugblog/bb0509.cfm - 38k - Cached - Similar
pages

Microsoft Office Access 2003
This problem occurs if you run Norton AntiVirus or LiveUpdate and have
the Script
Blocking update ... Error message: Error 1402. Could not open key... ...
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2509.../?sid=54&aid=3 - Similar pages

If none of that works, try the Symantec removal tool
oops that was found searching Symantec support and Google for -
manual remove norton antivirus 2005

>reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried to
>allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a message that I
>don't have access. It only has one user and is a member of the
>administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or something with that
>user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an administrator
>and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and logging in

as
>the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to delete
>these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?

Several but being polite, see above.

>Thanks in advance.
>Vic

Me

PC

"Vic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cTVaf.9845$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> [...]

> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01092114452606
> oops that was found searching Symantec support and Google for -
> manual remove norton antivirus 2005
>
>>reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried to
>>allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a message that I
>>don't have access. It only has one user and is a member of the
>>administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or something with
>>that
>>user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an
>>administrator
>>and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and logging in

> as
>>the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to
>>delete
>>these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?

Vic

Some general ideas that occur to me are:

1 Export the registry key / hive at the lowest point you can get to, edit it
externally (it should be just text) re import it. (name it a .reg file and
you should be able to just double click it)

2 Try one of the 'registry compacting' tools and see if that will remove it
seeing the parent program is no longer there.

3 Try another Registry Editor eg:
http://www.resplendence.com/download/reglite.exe ,
or a pile of tools here
http://www.freewarefind.com/archives...try_tools.html

4 Copy the Registry (System.dat & User.dat) edit them on another PC, replace
them while booted from DOS or a Linux boot CD on the original PC.

5 You have a Virus on the machine that is denying you access, Online scan,
burn a UBCD with latest virus def's & scan.

6 (You're gonna luv this one) There is no 'fault' with the software but a
fault with the hard drive. I had a machine suddenly asking for a password
where there had never been one used (at all) before. Tried all the password
hack's, turned out to be a dying hard drive. Logical when you think about
it, dying drive, odd bits 'flip', just needs one bit to 'flip' in your
registry file that happens to mean 'no access' or password required and
nothing short of a bomb is gonna fix that.

Best luck
Paul.

x@y

Some info here: http://tinyurl.com/ahkj7

Good Luck x@y

> [...]

> If none of that works, try the Symantec removal tool
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01092114452606
> oops that was found searching Symantec support and Google for -
> manual remove norton antivirus 2005
>
>>reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried to
>>allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a message that I
>>don't have access. It only has one user and is a member of the
>>administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or something with that
>>user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an administrator
>>and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and logging in

> as
>>the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to delete
>>these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?

why?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:43:04 GMT, Vic wrote:

Can it be assumed your post is in reply to some previous thread?

That's a lot of non <snipping> you have done.

>The only thing I seem to be able to find at the Microsoft site all deals
>with some version of office. I tried some of the first few suggestions but I

If you read the article (236427) , it says Office 2000.

>could not find anything that was actually applicable.

The error code and message are the same, the effect is the same. It's
assumed one of the suggestions , scanreg didn't work. You didn't say.

>At the Symantec site mostly talked about going in and resetting the
>permissions for HKLM but whenever I try that I just get a different saying

Did you change ownership? Taking an accurate note of current settings to
change back.

>cannot open error while opening file or an error saying that I don't have
>adminstrative privlages.
>
>The brandeis link delt with the Norton Corporate edition but it suggested
>trying the SymNRT removal utilities, so I tried that the program ran
>successfully but still I have the same problem.

Then it didn't work, running the program is one thing doing the fix is
another.

>The expert exchange looks like it might have some relavent data but I don't
>have a paid membership so I really don't have access to the solution.

I don't , I simply scroll down the page and read the threads. Never had
to subscribe, or you can subscribe.

>Board blog was really only for a Mac it linked back to the symantec site for

Wow, what a lot of info. Getting feedback is one thing , a novel of
replies is another.

You may not have realised the links found on Google were from a simple
search for you to look at, they wern't exact answers, that's called
reading and research, refining the search.

If some of the links didn't suit you run the search again and read some
of the many other links.

>Symantec Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh DiskMountNotify Local Privilege
>Escalation and the adobe link tells you to set the permissions to inherit
>which I cannot do at this time.

If you aren't using a MAC it makes sense, or it's a windup by now.

>The microsoft
>http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...id=2509&sid=54 but only
>applies to windows 98, 98se & me no help there.

At the top of the article - View products that this article applies to.

At the bottom of the article , in the applies to list -
Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
Microsoft Office XP Professional Edition
Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition

>Near as I can tell Zone Alarm has never been on the system

You should know?

>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01092114452606 is for
>NAV 2003 or earlier for newer you must use

Yes it says that, but it also mentions Nav 2005 which was what you asked
about.

Why are you repeating everything?

A simple, thanks for the help, several of the links didn't lead
anywhere, tried scanreg and changing permissions didn't work.
Do you have any more suggestions.

All of your epic reply replaced by not so many lines.

>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>but even after this I am still receiving the same error.

Log a fault with Symantec Support.

>I have found countless messages on board that deal with error 1402 and the
>vast majority of them deal with some kind of permission on the registry key.
>
>Any other ideas or on a way to narrow the seach down to actually find a
>solution?

Your registry is broken. Take the easy route, backup everything
important, several times test the backup will restore. Reformat an
reinstall.

>Thanks
>Vic
>

>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:22:09 GMT, Vic wrote:
>
>>I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home w/SP2 and

>Windows issues, as it's a MS product
>http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
>
>>it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the
>>HKLM\software\interfaces\ ... I used the regedit to look at the key and it
>>tells me that I do not have permission to view or delete it. I have tried

>Try the Symantec support site,
>http://www.symantec.com/search/
>Results for: error 1402
>21318 results found, top 500 sorted by relevance
>hide summaries 1-10 next
>

>failing that www.google.com among several items for -
>
>norton antivirus 2005 error 1402
>
>Norton Installation Error
>01:03 AM, Norton Installation Error. I had to uninstall some anti-virus
>as it
>was being ... Cause: Error 1920 and 1402 are caused by the application
>(Norton ...
>http://my.brandeis.edu/bboard/q-and-...?msg_id=0002MK - 16k -
>Cached - Similar pages

<snip>