Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Registry Keys

Registry Keys

Vic

Good idea, I ran the Norton Windoctor and it said that it found a few
ActiveX errors (30 or so) and it said that it fixed them all. I "let me
choose" option on fixing so I could watch each one and none of them delt
anything with any norton product that I could recognize.
Thanks for the good try.
Vic
run windoctor from disk so it will check the reg maybe that will work
"Vic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:laRaf.24447$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home w/SP2 and
> it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the
> HKLM\software\interfaces\ ... I used the regedit to look at the key and it
> tells me that I do not have permission to view or delete it. I have tried
> reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried to
> allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a message that I
> don't have access. It only has one user and is a member of the
> administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or something with
> that
> user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an
> administrator
> and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and logging in
> as
> the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to
> delete
> these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?
> Thanks in advance.
> Vic

docmill

"Vic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsbVaf.12332$(E-Mail Removed) et:

> Good idea, I ran the Norton Windoctor and it said that it found a few
> ActiveX errors (30 or so) and it said that it fixed them all. I "let
> me choose" option on fixing so I could watch each one and none of them
> delt anything with any norton product that I could recognize.
> Thanks for the good try.
> Vic
> run windoctor from disk so it will check the reg maybe that will work
> "Vic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:laRaf.24447$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>>I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home
>>w/SP2 and
>> it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the
>> HKLM\software\interfaces\ ... I used the regedit to look at the key
>> and it tells me that I do not have permission to view or delete it. I
>> have tried to
>> reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried
>> to allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a
>> message that I don't have access. It only has one user and is a
>> member of the administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or
>> something with that
>> user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an
>> administrator
>> and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and
>> logging in as
>> the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to
>> delete
>> these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Vic

If 2 kegs of dynamite or beer won't help....................
could be the icemaker

4. Navigate to the parent of the key referenced in the error message. For
example, for the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{CA8A9 783-
280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}, open (double-click) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >
SOFTWARE > Classes > TypeLib.

Note: These steps may vary slightly depending on the path in the error
message

5. Right-click on the parent key and select Permissions.

6. In the Permissions dialog box, click Advanced.

7. Select both "Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to
child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here" and
"Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here
that apply to child objects," and click OK.

8. Click OK in the Permissions dialog box. Windows will now reset the
permissions for each child object to correspond with its parent.

--
Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"