Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Registry Keys

Registry Keys

Vic

I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home w/SP2 and
it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the
HKLM\software\interfaces\ ... I used the regedit to look at the key and it
tells me that I do not have permission to view or delete it. I have tried to
reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried to
allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a message that I
don't have access. It only has one user and is a member of the
administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or something with that
user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an administrator
and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and logging in as
the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to delete
these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?
Thanks in advance.
Vic

Donald

run windoctor from disk so it will check the reg maybe that will work
"Vic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:laRaf.24447$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home w/SP2 and
> it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the
> HKLM\software\interfaces\ ... I used the regedit to look at the key and it
> tells me that I do not have permission to view or delete it. I have tried
> reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried to
> allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a message that I
> don't have access. It only has one user and is a member of the
> administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or something with
> that
> user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an
> administrator
> and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and logging in
> as
> the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to
> delete
> these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?
> Thanks in advance.
> Vic

why?

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:22:09 GMT, Vic wrote:

>I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home w/SP2 and

Windows issues, as it's a MS product

>it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the
>HKLM\software\interfaces\ ... I used the regedit to look at the key and it
>tells me that I do not have permission to view or delete it. I have tried to

Try the Symantec support site,
http://www.symantec.com/search/
Results for: error 1402
21318 results found, top 500 sorted by relevance
hide summaries 1-10 next

failing that www.google.com among several items for -

norton antivirus 2005 error 1402

Norton Installation Error
01:03 AM, Norton Installation Error. I had to uninstall some anti-virus
as it
was being ... Cause: Error 1920 and 1402 are caused by the application
(Norton ...
http://my.brandeis.edu/bboard/q-and-...?msg_id=0002MK - 16k -
Cached - Similar pages

Experts Exchange - All Viruses Questions Page 3
While installing Norton AntiVirus 2005, I'm prompted with the following
option.
.... Add and remove function in main windows I recive this error: Error
1402. ...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl...estions_3.html - 49k
- Cached - Similar pages

Experts Exchange - Time Tested Viruses Solutions Page 4
Using the Add and remove function in main windows I recive this
error: Error 1402.
... Command line options for Norton AntiVirus 2005 (162 views) ...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl...lutions_4.html -
50k - Cached - Similar pages

BugBlog October 2005
10/21/2005 Local Attacks Possible via Norton AntiVirus for Macs.
Security researchers
at iDefense found a bug ... Error 1402: Could not open key [key name]
www.bjkresearch.com/bugblog/ - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

BugBlog September 2005
Error 1402: Could not open key [key name] ... 6 and you are
experiencing conflicts
with Symantec Norton AntiVirus, then update Zone Alarm to
6.0.667.000. ...
www.bjkresearch.com/bugblog/bb0509.cfm - 38k - Cached - Similar
pages

Microsoft Office Access 2003
This problem occurs if you run Norton AntiVirus or LiveUpdate and have
the Script
Blocking update ... Error message: Error 1402. Could not open key... ...
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2509.../?sid=54&aid=3 - Similar pages

If none of that works, try the Symantec removal tool
oops that was found searching Symantec support and Google for -
manual remove norton antivirus 2005

>reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried to
>allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a message that I
>don't have access. It only has one user and is a member of the
>administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or something with that
>user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an administrator
>and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and logging in as
>the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to delete
>these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?

Several but being polite, see above.

>Thanks in advance.
>Vic

Me

Plato

Vic wrote:

> I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home w/SP2 and
> it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the

The use another anti-virus program. There are 3 or 4 good free ones.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/