Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Caller ID/Modem question, WIN XP Home Edition

Caller ID/Modem question, WIN XP Home Edition

Fred Johnson

On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
anywhere...not even under help.
Thanks.

Michael Thompson

Fred Johnson bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
> flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
> settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
> elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
> anywhere...not even under help.
> Thanks.

Caller ID?

Provided by the Modem software. v92.bis modems do it i think.

EricP

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:55:14 GMT, Fred Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
>flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
>settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
>elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
>anywhere...not even under help.
>Thanks.

I take it you are on dialup?

It is a feature of the protocol you are using to connect with. The
controls for it, if any, should be in the modem controls.

Fred Johnson

I am using DSL for my net connection, not dial-up. But of course I do
have a phone line plugged into the computer's modem. Mainly for FAX
purposes. The caller's number pops up, but not the name even though
the name does appear on my phone's caller ID list.

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:42:02 GMT, EricP <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:55:14 GMT, Fred Johnson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
>>flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
>>settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
>>elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
>>anywhere...not even under help.
>>Thanks.

>I take it you are on dialup?
>
>It is a feature of the protocol you are using to connect with. The
>controls for it, if any, should be in the modem controls.

phil

that souns like a cool gadget . where u get it?

--
Remove the "oh" to reply please.

Phil
"Fred Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am using DSL for my net connection, not dial-up. But of course I do
> have a phone line plugged into the computer's modem. Mainly for FAX
> purposes. The caller's number pops up, but not the name even though
> the name does appear on my phone's caller ID list.
>
> On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:42:02 GMT, EricP <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:55:14 GMT, Fred Johnson
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
>>>flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
>>>settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
>>>elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
>>>anywhere...not even under help.
>>>Thanks.

>>I take it you are on dialup?
>>
>>It is a feature of the protocol you are using to connect with. The
>>controls for it, if any, should be in the modem controls.

Thaqalain

Fred Johnson wrote:
> On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
> flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
> settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
> elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
> anywhere...not even under help.
> Thanks.

U have to disable it in your fax program.Provide detail of Fax Prog and
Modem under use,may be we will take benefit.

Fred Johnson

It came built in with my Dell 2400. And just started working when I
hooked up my phone line. I was surprised when the caller ID bubble
poped up the first time.

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:13:07 -0000, "phil"
<philbradley000"oh"(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>that souns like a cool gadget . where u get it?

The Wanderer

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:49:58 GMT, Fred Johnson wrote:

> It came built in with my Dell 2400. And just started working when I
> hooked up my phone line. I was surprised when the caller ID bubble
> poped up the first time.

Err, asking the obvious question, are you in the UK?

I've had two or three different voice/fax modems over the years, all
allegedly with CallerID, and tried out quite a few software packages for
telephone answering. Not one would work with Caller ID.

Apparently BT don't implement Caller ID in accordance with international
standards.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net