Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microphone help please

Microphone help please

fred

I can't seem to get my mic to work. I looked thru control panel and
all looks fine but nuthin'. Any ideas? I'm using winxp

Unk

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:02:21 GMT, fred <123@456.789> wrote:

>I can't seem to get my mic to work. I looked thru control panel and
>all looks fine but nuthin'. Any ideas? I'm using winxp

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Sounds and Audio Devices", "Volume" tab.
Click the "Advanced" button, and make sure the Mic setting volume is all the way
up and the "Mute" box is unchecked.

If that's all OK, try another Mic.

joevan

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:20:12 -0500, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:02:21 GMT, fred <123@456.789> wrote:
>
>>I can't seem to get my mic to work. I looked thru control panel and
>>all looks fine but nuthin'. Any ideas? I'm using winxp

>Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Sounds and Audio Devices", "Volume" tab.
>Click the "Advanced" button, and make sure the Mic setting volume is all the way
>up and the "Mute" box is unchecked.
>
>If that's all OK, try another Mic.

Uh, to the OP, fred. Is it plugged in?
and for the same reason."

fred

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:20:12 -0500, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:02:21 GMT, fred <123@456.789> wrote:
>>
>>>I can't seem to get my mic to work. I looked thru control panel

and
>>>all looks fine but nuthin'. Any ideas? I'm using winxp

>>Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Sounds and Audio Devices",
>>"Volume" tab. Click the "Advanced" button, and make sure the Mic
>>setting volume is all the way up and the "Mute" box is unchecked.
>>
>>If that's all OK, try another Mic.
>>

> Uh, to the OP, fred. Is it plugged in?

Ah, yes

Keme

fred wrote:
> joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):

> and

>>>Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Sounds and Audio Devices",
>>>"Volume" tab. Click the "Advanced" button, and make sure the Mic
>>>setting volume is all the way up and the "Mute" box is unchecked.
>>>
>>>If that's all OK, try another Mic.
>>>

>>Uh, to the OP, fred. Is it plugged in?

> Ah, yes

Has that specific mic ever worked with the input socket you're using?
You may have sensitivity issues:

- Ordinary soundcard inputs often have too low input sensitivity for
professional grade microphones. Use a high output (computer) mic or
connect through a mic amplifier.

- Many soundcards have separate sockets for mic level and line level
inputs. The sensitivity of the mic input may be anywhere from 50 to 1000
times that of the line input, so make sure you're plugging into the mic
input.

fred

Keme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4378c6d8$1
@news.broadpark.no:

> fred wrote:
>> joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> and

>>>Uh, to the OP, fred. Is it plugged in?

>> Ah, yes

> Has that specific mic ever worked with the input socket you're using?
> You may have sensitivity issues:
>
> - Ordinary soundcard inputs often have too low input sensitivity for
> professional grade microphones. Use a high output (computer) mic or
> connect through a mic amplifier.
>
> - Many soundcards have separate sockets for mic level and line level
> inputs. The sensitivity of the mic input may be anywhere from 50 to

1000
> times that of the line input, so make sure you're plugging into the

mic
> input.

sorry for the late responce but yes the mic worked fine before. I
resently replaced the network card and hard drive and am having some
other issues too. When I try to hibernater my computer or play some
games off cd my computer screen goes funny like the display settings are
wrong and then it reboots. I think I have reinstalled the drivers and
it seems that everything is ok and updated. Would it hurt anything if I
load every driver I can find from my install cds or would that create
conflicts? BTW, thanks for the reply.

Keme

fred wrote:
[...]

> sorry for the late responce but yes the mic worked fine before. I
> resently replaced the network card and hard drive and am having some
> other issues too. When I try to hibernater my computer or play some
> games off cd my computer screen goes funny like the display settings are
> wrong and then it reboots. I think I have reinstalled the drivers and
> it seems that everything is ok and updated. Would it hurt anything if I
> load every driver I can find from my install cds or would that create
> conflicts? BTW, thanks for the reply.

Seems like a conflict of some sort between video and sound
electronics/drivers (check for conflicts in the "system - devices"
section) or possibly a conflict with Windows SP2.

Re-seat the soundcard, and try a different slot if available.

You may need a new ...
- Video and/or audio driver (download from web support pages)
- Windows patch (run Windows update)
- Motherboard firmware (download from web support)
- Soundcard (it may be faulty, so check it in another computer if possible)

Good luck