Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HDD

Johnnie Scott

Looking to upgrade my HDD WD for a barracuda 200 ST3200822A. Being new to
this do I need a SATA or IDE setting also how can I transfer my original
programs and data inc windows to the new disc

Thanks
John

Evan Platt

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:58:15 GMT, "Johnnie Scott"
<john374999nospam@,,,,ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Looking to upgrade my HDD WD for a barracuda 200 ST3200822A. Being new to
>this do I need a SATA or IDE setting also how can I transfer my original
>programs and data inc windows to the new disc

Might take a look at Seagate's Ultra ATA FAQ:

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...ra_ata_66.html

(Yes, it's Seagate not Baracuda, but all the Questions apply).

You can use a program like Ghost to transfer the hard drive from one
drive to another.

Evan

The Shed

"Johnnie Scott" <john374999nospam@,,,,ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:Xcsaf.3098$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking to upgrade my HDD WD for a barracuda 200 ST3200822A. Being
> new to this do I need a SATA or IDE setting also how can I transfer my
> original programs and data inc windows to the new disc
>
> Thanks
> John

Being new to it---simple answer
Buy the new drive, and use this as storage space/new prog install.(you
are aware you can tell a prog or a file to save somewhere else than c:
??)
Leave the original as is ----no change--no problems
Easy solution for you.

Pat

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:50:54 -0800, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:58:15 GMT, "Johnnie Scott"
><john374999nospam@,,,,ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Looking to upgrade my HDD WD for a barracuda 200 ST3200822A. Being new to
>>this do I need a SATA or IDE setting also how can I transfer my original
>>programs and data inc windows to the new disc

>Might take a look at Seagate's Ultra ATA FAQ:
>
>http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...ra_ata_66.html
>
>(Yes, it's Seagate not Baracuda, but all the Questions apply).
>
>You can use a program like Ghost to transfer the hard drive from one
>drive to another.
>
>Evan

Barracuda is a trade name owned by Seagate. Most Seagate drives are
Barracudas.

--
Pat

Evan Platt

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:22:45 -0800, Pat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Barracuda is a trade name owned by Seagate. Most Seagate drives are
>Barracudas.

D'Oh.. forgot about that. Been a while since I've dealt with
Barracuda's.

AAMOF, I think I have a Barracuda drive sitting somewhere at home.