Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System Restore on WinXp

System Restore on WinXp

Paul Welch

I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to
fix a problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a
WinXP System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the updated
Netscape and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last few days?

Thanks. Paul

Donald

start/program files/accessories/system tools/system restore

may not be able to go back that far but look anyway
"Paul Welch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:absaf.183421$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to fix a
>problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a WinXP
>System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the updated Netscape
>and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last few days?
>
> Thanks. Paul

Paul Welch

Donald wrote:
> start/program files/accessories/system tools/system restore
>
> may not be able to go back that far but look anyway
> "Paul Welch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:absaf.183421$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
>>I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to fix a
>>problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a WinXP
>>System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the updated Netscape
>>and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last few days?
>>
>>Thanks. Paul

Donald,

What I was asking is what happens to the Updated programs. Will they
revert to the older versions or will the upgraded ones stay on the computer.

Thanks. Paul

old jon

"Paul Welch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:absaf.183421$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to fix a
>problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a WinXP
>System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the updated Netscape
>and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last few days?
>
> Thanks. Paul

If you`ve kept the updates, you will be able to re-update. Any software or
updates performed since you return to `an earlier time` will be lost.
bw..OJ

unluckylanding

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:56:22 GMT, Paul Welch <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to
>fix a problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a
>WinXP System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the updated
>Netscape and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last few days?
>
>Thanks. Paul

In theory all settings/programs/etc will revert back to the last
restore point. You will probably have to update again. For smallish XP
problems try using the last known good configuration first. Mash the
F8 key at boot up to get there.

Paul Welch

unluckylanding wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:56:22 GMT, Paul Welch <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to
>>fix a problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a
>>WinXP System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the updated
>>Netscape and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last few days?
>>
>>Thanks. Paul

> In theory all settings/programs/etc will revert back to the last
> restore point. You will probably have to update again. For smallish XP
> problems try using the last known good configuration first. Mash the
> F8 key at boot up to get there.

Maybe I'm not being clear. I changed Netscape from 7.1 to Netscape 7.2.
After I do a System restore will I still have 7.2 or will it go back
to Netscape 7.1 like it was on MY Computer the day I'm using to restore
to. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Paul

unluckylanding

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:43:34 GMT, Paul Welch <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>unluckylanding wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:56:22 GMT, Paul Welch <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to
>>>fix a problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a
>>>WinXP System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the updated
>>>Netscape and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last few days?
>>>
>>>Thanks. Paul

>> In theory all settings/programs/etc will revert back to the last
>> restore point. You will probably have to update again. For smallish XP
>> problems try using the last known good configuration first. Mash the
>> F8 key at boot up to get there.
>>

>Maybe I'm not being clear. I changed Netscape from 7.1 to Netscape 7.2.
> After I do a System restore will I still have 7.2 or will it go back
>to Netscape 7.1 like it was on MY Computer the day I'm using to restore
>to. Sorry I wasn't clearer.
>
>Paul

all updates will be lost.

The Shed

"Paul Welch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GLtaf.183428$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> unluckylanding wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:56:22 GMT, Paul Welch <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to
>>>fix a problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a
>>>WinXP System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the
>>>updated Netscape and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last
>>>few days?
>>>
>>>Thanks. Paul

>> In theory all settings/programs/etc will revert back to the last
>> restore point. You will probably have to update again. For smallish
>> XP
>> problems try using the last known good configuration first. Mash the
>> F8 key at boot up to get there.
>>

> Maybe I'm not being clear. I changed Netscape from 7.1 to Netscape
> 7.2. After I do a System restore will I still have 7.2 or will it go
> back to Netscape 7.1 like it was on MY Computer the day I'm using to
> restore to. Sorry I wasn't clearer.
>
> Paul

Restore will not lose saved data (docs etc)
However if you restore to a time before a prog update , the prog will be
as of that date--an update will be required.
Always save the update files to a seperate folder so this quirk can be
easily overcome.
This also includes firewall and AV progs

Ron Martell

Paul Welch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have recently updated my Netscape and Mozilla browser and emails to
>fix a problem I am having. This didn't fix my problem. If I now do a
>WinXP System Restore back about a month ago what happens to the updated
>Netscape and Mozilla programs I have put on during the last few days?
>
>Thanks. Paul

I do not recommend using System Restore to go back more than a week or
perhaps 10 days at the outside.

Going back further than that almost always results in far more
problems (because of missing updates etc) than it ever solves.

You should look for some other way of solving whatever your actual
problem is.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--