Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newsgroup problem

Newsgroup problem

doug-kershaw@excite.com

I use Teranews as my news server along with MS OE 6 and Free Agent
which I do not understand why I need all of these programs-I am writing
on Google Groups-the latest I have from TeraNews isas follows:

System Status
10/31/2005
We've make the server case in-sensitive to match the old server. This
was the #1 problem reported. The pay users are now being switched.
Please remove/create your server profile as the article numbers will
change.
10/31/2005
We're seeing long pauses during login for the new free server. We're
working on this. Please expect a few disconnects as we tune the new
hardware.
10/30/2005
We have moved the free server to the new server. You will need to
re-download all headers as the article numbers have changed. Premium
users are also welcome to use the new free.teranews.com as well.
Retention is is currently short, but it should grow as time goes on up
to 20-30 days.

I removed and re-download newsgroups but now I get nothing in any
newsgroup I request either through OE or Free Agent, just a bunch of
error messages about server not accepting requests

Any assistance would be appreciated-TeraNews has not answered my e-mails

Whiskers

On 2005-11-03, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I use Teranews as my news server along with MS OE 6 and Free Agent
> which I do not understand why I need all of these programs-I am writing
> on Google Groups-the latest I have from TeraNews isas follows:

snip

You only need one news-reader to read newsgroups from news-servers. I've
heard that both those you mention do actually work.

> Any assistance would be appreciated-TeraNews has not answered my e-mails

Look in the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Andrew

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:46:38 +0000, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 2005-11-03, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I use Teranews as my news server along with MS OE 6 and Free Agent
>> which I do not understand why I need all of these programs-I am writing
>> on Google Groups-the latest I have from TeraNews isas follows:

>snip
>
>You only need one news-reader to read newsgroups from news-servers. I've
>heard that both those you mention do actually work.
>
>> Any assistance would be appreciated-TeraNews has not answered my e-mails

>Look in the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers

BIN OE6 ... honestly ... run firefox.. and get web mailed....
they take ALL the heat and do ALL the weeding
Agent is free yeah for newsgroups...
Webmail will be a cinch... you'll love it..

John Morrison

On 2 Nov 2005 21:10:51 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I use Teranews as my news server along with MS OE 6 and Free Agent
>which I do not understand why I need all of these programs-I am writing
>on Google Groups-the latest I have from TeraNews isas follows:
>
>System Status

<snipped>

Teranews isn't the very best news server out there, they probably give
more trouble than they are worth.

I find Octanews is reliable and good value, their block
account is very cheap and has no expiry date. http://www.octanews.com

In my opinion Free Agent will serve you better than MS OE 6 but then
I'm probably biased because of being an Agent user myself.

If you decide to keep using Free Agent visit the news group
"alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent" you will find many other Agent
users there and who provide excellent help.
--

John

Blinky the Shark

John Morrison wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2005 21:10:51 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Teranews isn't the very best news server out there, they
> probably give more trouble than they are worth.

Perhaps that's short for Terriblenews.

> I find Octanews is reliable and good value, their block
> account is very cheap and has no expiry date.
> http://www.octanews.com

If one doesn't need bins, news.individual.net is rock solid and
about a buck a month US (10 YooRows a year).

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.

doug-kershaw@excite.com

Thanks for all of the replies-i went to alt.free.newsservers and
apparently Teranews along with others is a mess-I guess after the three
or four years I have used it free, I will need to move on.

doug-kershaw@excite.com

I just tried to cancel out Teranews and got the following:

Your account has been canceled.

It will continue to function for the next 9517 days. At any time during
the next 9517 days you can reactivate your account completly free of
charge by using the "Reactivate Account" button below.

"If I live that long"

Whiskers

On 2005-11-04, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just tried to cancel out Teranews and got the following:
>
> Your account has been canceled.
>
> It will continue to function for the next 9517 days. At any time during
> the next 9517 days you can reactivate your account completly free of
> charge by using the "Reactivate Account" button below.
>
> "If I live that long"

They have a 26-year backlog on paper-work )

--
-- Whiskers