Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Paper certs....

Re: Paper certs....

Consultant

the problem lies with the massive amount of people pushed thru mcse
bootcamps, earning a cert in 2 weeks, then running out taking jobs for half
what they should be paid (the full pay going to those with real experience),
because hiring managers thought the cert meant you knew what the hell you
were doing. this has driven down salaries and flooded the market with morons
holding a now worthless cert. i am not against people coming into this
field, i am against those who think they deserve something because they have
a piece of paper.

"znakomi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:059001c357a3$3d90a040$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for opinions from folks who look down on paper
> certs. I've been trying to think of reasons why someone
> would look down on them, but I'm coming up empty. I have
> heard it about how much damage they do, and how some
> people who study for them should almost be looked down on
> for doing something "wrong". But I havent heard the
> reasons why it is wrong to study for MCSE for people who
> don't already work in IT.
>
> I like my job, and it's not IT, (engineer in digital
> imaging equipment). I would venture to say that if a great
> IT person came up to me and said he had another passion of
> digital image processing, and he went to school for it
> even though he may never work in it...I'd say "great, you
> like Heiniken?". Why would I say anything else?
>
> The world is always changing, and even though I've worked
> for this behemoth since some of the naysayers were in
> diapers...downsizing is a reality. MCSE is interesting, it
> skirts my job, and I could be laid off someday. Nice if I
> could get my foot in the door and try this path if I
> wanted to. I went for an interview last year for just for
> the heck of it, (first interview in 15 + years). I had no
> intention for the job, but I wanted to see if I'd get an
> offer...which I did for twenty five an hour, (nowhere near
> enough to derail me). But it was worth my effort, and I
> wouldn't have gotten the offer without my paper cert.
>
> Besides, this stuff is fun, and it gives me excuses to
> have all these computers around the house.
>
> Now I fully agree with naysayers who get down on people
> who cheat. I don't cheat, (the only justice there is the
> cheaters know how they are, worthless).
>
> So, please tell me the reasons why we must look down on
> people like me with my nasty paper certificate. Why I was
> wrong to do what I did.
>
> My school cost $7500.00, and I sweat out the same exams
> the IT people do, except they have an advantage, they work
> in it all the time. Due to the improved nature of the 2000
> exams, and beta testing for question weight, I must
> simulate the thinking of someone who has worked in it a
> year. Why is that something to look down on someone for?
>
> Please don't just blast me for this and waste this thread,
> I'd like to find out if there are any real reasons, and
> what they are.

Spike Driver

I aggree completely with this statement. I have been a network
administrator for a HUUUUUUUGE telecomunication company for years and doubt
if I could get the same pay. It is not the blame of the economy. This
staement is true. I plan on a 15 to 30 percent cut if I get cut!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > Besides, this stuff is fun, and it gives me excuses to
> > have all these computers around the house.
> >
> > Now I fully agree with naysayers who get down on people
> > who cheat. I don't cheat, (the only justice there is the
> > cheaters know how they are, worthless).
> >
> > So, please tell me the reasons why we must look down on
> > people like me with my nasty paper certificate. Why I was
> > wrong to do what I did.
> >
> > My school cost $7500.00, and I sweat out the same exams
> > the IT people do, except they have an advantage, they work
> > in it all the time. Due to the improved nature of the 2000
> > exams, and beta testing for question weight, I must
> > simulate the thinking of someone who has worked in it a
> > year. Why is that something to look down on someone for?
> >
> > Please don't just blast me for this and waste this thread,
> > I'd like to find out if there are any real reasons, and

Consultant

would it be the one run by mr. whitacre?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...