Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > MCSE 2000 - Available For How Much Longer?

MCSE 2000 - Available For How Much Longer?

Clint Kennedy

I haven't personally read anything on MS's website regarding the 2000 exams
being retired, but I'm still curious. I currently have only passed 70-210
and plan to pass 70-215 soon. I can study fully and pass about 1 exam every
month. I plan to complete 70-215 then pick up my A+ (for the heck of it),
then 70-216, then Net+ (since so many topics are on both exams, it will be
fresh), then 70-218 to achieve MCSA, then a design course and a DB elective
course to get MCSE, then one more DB course for MSDBA. It's going to be
quite aggravating if I'm 2 tests shy of MCSE 2000 and they pull the tests as
they did with NT 4.0. I'm sure since more customers are using 2000 and will
be for some time this won't happen within the next year, giving me time to
complete it.

It really makes me wish I would've tackled all of this years ago. I've
worked as a network tech for a solutions provider for several years, and now
have a job as a sysadmin/developer. I've really never needed certification,
it's purely a personal goal.

--

Clint Kennedy, BSCS, MCP

Andy Ruth [MS]

We have no plans to retire them at this time. Keep plugging away!

--
Andy Ruth
Microsoft Training and Certification

rights.

"Clint Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I haven't personally read anything on MS's website regarding the 2000

exams
> being retired, but I'm still curious. I currently have only passed 70-210
> and plan to pass 70-215 soon. I can study fully and pass about 1 exam

every
> month. I plan to complete 70-215 then pick up my A+ (for the heck of it),
> then 70-216, then Net+ (since so many topics are on both exams, it will be
> fresh), then 70-218 to achieve MCSA, then a design course and a DB

elective
> course to get MCSE, then one more DB course for MSDBA. It's going to be
> quite aggravating if I'm 2 tests shy of MCSE 2000 and they pull the tests

as
> they did with NT 4.0. I'm sure since more customers are using 2000 and

will
> be for some time this won't happen within the next year, giving me time to
> complete it.
>
> It really makes me wish I would've tackled all of this years ago. I've
> worked as a network tech for a solutions provider for several years, and

now
> have a job as a sysadmin/developer. I've really never needed

certification,
> it's purely a personal goal.
>
> --
>
> Clint Kennedy, BSCS, MCP

Clint Kennedy

Or better yet, if they are chosen to be retired at some future point in
time, what will be the notice time period before the exam expires? 6
months? a year? What is policy?

Clint

"Andy Ruth [MS]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have no plans to retire them at this time. Keep plugging away!
>
> --
> Andy Ruth
> Microsoft Training and Certification

> rights.
>
> "Clint Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I haven't personally read anything on MS's website regarding the 2000

> exams
> > being retired, but I'm still curious. I currently have only passed

70-210
> > and plan to pass 70-215 soon. I can study fully and pass about 1 exam

> every
> > month. I plan to complete 70-215 then pick up my A+ (for the heck of

it),
> > then 70-216, then Net+ (since so many topics are on both exams, it will

be
> > fresh), then 70-218 to achieve MCSA, then a design course and a DB

> elective
> > course to get MCSE, then one more DB course for MSDBA. It's going to be
> > quite aggravating if I'm 2 tests shy of MCSE 2000 and they pull the

tests
> as
> > they did with NT 4.0. I'm sure since more customers are using 2000 and

> will
> > be for some time this won't happen within the next year, giving me time

> > complete it.
> >
> > It really makes me wish I would've tackled all of this years ago. I've
> > worked as a network tech for a solutions provider for several years, and

> now
> > have a job as a sysadmin/developer. I've really never needed

> certification,
> > it's purely a personal goal.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Clint Kennedy, BSCS, MCP

booby orr

hi clint, some say you should just skip w2k and go stright to w2k3 cert's.

if you do it your way, after you get your w2k MCSE, you will have to
take 2 more exams to become w2k3 certified. i.e. it's going to cost you
9 exams to become w2k3 certified as opposed to doing the w2k3 cert path
and costing you 7 exams.

below are some links that might help.
http://www.microsoft.com/Traincert/m...03/upgrade.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...quirements.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...e/windows2003/

Clint Kennedy wrote:
> I haven't personally read anything on MS's website regarding the 2000 exams
> being retired, but I'm still curious. I currently have only passed 70-210
> and plan to pass 70-215 soon. I can study fully and pass about 1 exam every
> month. I plan to complete 70-215 then pick up my A+ (for the heck of it),
> then 70-216, then Net+ (since so many topics are on both exams, it will be
> fresh), then 70-218 to achieve MCSA, then a design course and a DB elective
> course to get MCSE, then one more DB course for MSDBA. It's going to be
> quite aggravating if I'm 2 tests shy of MCSE 2000 and they pull the tests as
> they did with NT 4.0. I'm sure since more customers are using 2000 and will
> be for some time this won't happen within the next year, giving me time to
> complete it.
>
> It really makes me wish I would've tackled all of this years ago. I've
> worked as a network tech for a solutions provider for several years, and now
> have a job as a sysadmin/developer. I've really never needed certification,
> it's purely a personal goal.

Tom Helms [MSFT]

Take a look here:
http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...us/retired.asp

--
Tom Helms

newsgroup purposes only."

"Clint Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Or better yet, if they are chosen to be retired at some future point in
> time, what will be the notice time period before the exam expires? 6
> months? a year? What is policy?
>
> Clint
>
> "Andy Ruth [MS]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have no plans to retire them at this time. Keep plugging away!
> >
> > --
> > Andy Ruth
> > Microsoft Training and Certification

> > rights.
> >
> > "Clint Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I haven't personally read anything on MS's website regarding the 2000

> > exams
> > > being retired, but I'm still curious. I currently have only passed

> 70-210
> > > and plan to pass 70-215 soon. I can study fully and pass about 1 exam

> > every
> > > month. I plan to complete 70-215 then pick up my A+ (for the heck of

> it),
> > > then 70-216, then Net+ (since so many topics are on both exams, it

will
> be
> > > fresh), then 70-218 to achieve MCSA, then a design course and a DB

> > elective
> > > course to get MCSE, then one more DB course for MSDBA. It's going to

be
> > > quite aggravating if I'm 2 tests shy of MCSE 2000 and they pull the

> tests
> > as
> > > they did with NT 4.0. I'm sure since more customers are using 2000

and
> > will
> > > be for some time this won't happen within the next year, giving me

time
> > > complete it.
> > >
> > > It really makes me wish I would've tackled all of this years ago.

I've
> > > worked as a network tech for a solutions provider for several years,

and
> > now
> > > have a job as a sysadmin/developer. I've really never needed

> > certification,
> > > it's purely a personal goal.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Clint Kennedy, BSCS, MCP

Andy Ruth [MS]

That is true, but along the way you are proving that you have the skills
needed to work in a Windows 2000 environment as well as a Windows Server
2003 environment. What environment you are working in (or want to work in)
should be the driver there. If you get MCSA or MCSE on Windows 2000 now and
work in that environment, then when they plan to go to Windows Server 2003
or you want to join a company that is using Windows Server 2003, you can
bone up on the delta between the two and have a simple upgrade path to the
certification. If you are currently working in a Windows Server 2003
environment or want to work in that environment, then start with Windows
Server 2003 certification is the way to go.

--
Andy Ruth
Microsoft Training and Certification

rights.

"booby orr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi clint, some say you should just skip w2k and go stright to w2k3 cert's.
>
> if you do it your way, after you get your w2k MCSE, you will have to
> take 2 more exams to become w2k3 certified. i.e. it's going to cost you
> 9 exams to become w2k3 certified as opposed to doing the w2k3 cert path
> and costing you 7 exams.
>
> below are some links that might help.
> http://www.microsoft.com/Traincert/m...03/upgrade.asp
> http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...quirements.asp
> http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...e/windows2003/
>

> Clint Kennedy wrote:
> > I haven't personally read anything on MS's website regarding the 2000

exams
> > being retired, but I'm still curious. I currently have only passed

70-210
> > and plan to pass 70-215 soon. I can study fully and pass about 1 exam

every
> > month. I plan to complete 70-215 then pick up my A+ (for the heck of

it),
> > then 70-216, then Net+ (since so many topics are on both exams, it will

be
> > fresh), then 70-218 to achieve MCSA, then a design course and a DB

elective
> > course to get MCSE, then one more DB course for MSDBA. It's going to be
> > quite aggravating if I'm 2 tests shy of MCSE 2000 and they pull the

tests as
> > they did with NT 4.0. I'm sure since more customers are using 2000 and

will
> > be for some time this won't happen within the next year, giving me time

> > complete it.
> >
> > It really makes me wish I would've tackled all of this years ago. I've
> > worked as a network tech for a solutions provider for several years, and

now
> > have a job as a sysadmin/developer. I've really never needed

certification,
> > it's purely a personal goal.

Maestro

Microsoft generally gives more than ample notice when they
plan to retire an "exam". With NT4 they gave at least a
years heads up, and by the way anyone certified on 4.0 is
still an MCSE. Microsoft is just not making any new MCSEs
on NT4. Now it's either W2k or W2K3. With that said W2k
has several years left on it's life cycle. Even if you're
only certifying for personal gain it still makes sense to
certify in an area that will be most useful to "you". If
it's W2k you're still safe for now and worst case scenario
will only require two upgrade exams to be certified on
W2K3.

There are quite a few posters here that are only concerned
with how fast they can certify, what's the easiest path to
certification, or what combination of test will give them
the max number of certs. My opinion is to go with what
you think you can get the most return out of i.e. is your
company working with a specific product now or does it
plans to upgrade in the near future, etc...?

booby orr

andy, i don't agree with your statement. lets be "honest" on this ng.

w2k3 is not a brand new product platform compared to w2k. it's an
improvement on the w2k server os. most of the companies that have
already taken the plunge into the w2k environment and active directory
will definatly be upgrading to w2k3 - without a doubt. all the admin's i
have talked to are drooling over the updated AD management tools in
w2k3. and any new companies that are about to switch to a AD aren't
going to go with w2k. they are going to go straight to w2k3.

so where's the logic to start "now" on a w2k mcse track?

Andy Ruth [MS] wrote:
> That is true, but along the way you are proving that you have the skills
> needed to work in a Windows 2000 environment as well as a Windows Server
> 2003 environment. What environment you are working in (or want to work in)
> should be the driver there. If you get MCSA or MCSE on Windows 2000 now and
> work in that environment, then when they plan to go to Windows Server 2003
> or you want to join a company that is using Windows Server 2003, you can
> bone up on the delta between the two and have a simple upgrade path to the
> certification. If you are currently working in a Windows Server 2003
> environment or want to work in that environment, then start with Windows
> Server 2003 certification is the way to go.

Maestro

Of all the companies out there running one or more of the
various versions of windows, how many do you have first
hand knowledge of to support your statements? What
stastistical data do you have to support your statements?
Because you know a few people that work for companies that
are going that route in know way makes it universally true
as you present it. Except for the few companies at the
top of the food chain with endless budgets, I'm inclined
to believe that most will resist change. Yes there are
some companies migrting to W2K3, but "I believe" the
number doing so is statistically insignificant (at least
for now).

Clint Kennedy

I have to agree. When I worked as a Network Consultant I still had SEVERAL
clients running (to this day) Netware 3.1 simply because it "does everything
we need" and they don't want to shell out money for an unneeded upgrade. I
think the only people that will rush to upgrade to 2003 are those still
stuck on NT 4.0 server.

Clint

news:03e401c356ea$52874a80$(E-Mail Removed)...