Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Is Microsoft Visual studio 2005 upgraded version of Microsoft VC++ 6?

vvj

Hi
Is that way apps. compiled in VS2005 wont work on VC++6?? But here
apps. compiled in VS2005 in debug mode, wont work on VC++6 platform,
whereas for release mode it works for both..
Thanks

Gavin Deane

On 15 Feb, 09:55, "vvj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> Is Microsoft Visual studio 2005 upgraded version of Microsoft VC++ 6?
> Is that way apps. compiled in VS2005 wont work on VC++6?? But here
> apps. compiled in VS2005 in debug mode, wont work on VC++6 platform,
> whereas for release mode it works for both..
> Thanks

As I understand Microsoft's versioning numbers, the compiler used by
visual studio 2005 is version 8, two major revisions up fom version 6
(which is old enough to predate the standardisation of C++).

However, your whole question is off-topic in comp.lang.c++ as it's not
a C++ language question. There are newsgroups dedicated to Microsoft's
C++ implementations and they will be able to help you. See the FAQ for
suggestions.

Gavin Deane

Victor Bazarov

Gavin Deane wrote:
> On 15 Feb, 09:55, "vvj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>> Is Microsoft Visual studio 2005 upgraded version of Microsoft VC++ 6?
>> Is that way apps. compiled in VS2005 wont work on VC++6?? But here
>> apps. compiled in VS2005 in debug mode, wont work on VC++6 platform,
>> whereas for release mode it works for both..
>> Thanks

> As I understand Microsoft's versioning numbers, the compiler used by
> visual studio 2005 is version 8, two major revisions up fom version 6
> (which is old enough to predate the standardisation of C++).

<nitpick>
Close, but the numbers are off. The _compiler_ version in VS 2005 is
14. The compiler version in VS 6 (VC++ 6) is 12. Still, two major
versions up.
</nitpick>

> However, your whole question is off-topic in comp.lang.c++ as it's not
> a C++ language question. There are newsgroups dedicated to Microsoft's
> C++ implementations and they will be able to help you. See the FAQ for
> suggestions.
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...t.html#faq-5.9

Absolutely.

Jerry Coffin

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

[ ... ]

> As I understand Microsoft's versioning numbers, the compiler used by
> visual studio 2005 is version 8, two major revisions up fom version 6
> (which is old enough to predate the standardisation of C++).

It's two major versions, but then again, major vs. minor doesn't
necessarily mean a lot -- though officially treated as a minor version,
in terms of standard conformance, the biggest upgrade in there was from
VS 7 to 7.1.

Oh, BTW, the compiler has its own version number separate from Visual
Studio as a whole. The compiler version numbers have maintained a
continuous succession all the way back to Microsoft's first C compiler
(and before, if you want to get technical -- the first few versions were
really Lattice C in Microsoft packaging).

--
Later,
Jerry.