Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Problems with libcurl on Visual C++ Express Edition

Problems with libcurl on Visual C++ Express Edition

borucik@gmail.com

I am trying to use libcurl with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I
downloaded the file from here:
http://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/?type=lib&...&ver=2000%2FXP
It is the 7.16.0 version of the library. The 'lib' subdiretory
contains following files:
libcurl-4.dll
libcurl.la
libcurl.a
libcurl.dll.a
I added the 'include' subdirectory to the include path of the project
(VS sees the 'curl.h' file) and the libcurl.dll.a to the Linker-
>Additional Dependencies so that the linker does its job (with one

warning however:
Linking...
libcurl.dll.a(d000116.o) : warning LNK4078: multiple '.text' sections
found with different attributes (E0000020)
My program is very simple, it goes like this:
#include <code/code.h>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(){
const char* url = "www.wp.pl";
curl_global_init( CURL_GLOBAL_WIN32);
CURL* context = curl_easy_init();
if(context == NULL){
cout << "Unable to initialize cURL interface" << endl;
return -1;
}
curl_easy_setopt(context, CURLOPT_URL, url);
curl_easy_setopt(context, CURLOPT_WRITEHEADER, stdout);
curl_easy_setopt(context, CURLOPT_WRITEDATA, stdout);
const CURLcode rc = curl_easy_perform(context);
if( rc != CURLE_OK )
cout << "Error performing" << endl;
else{
double statDouble;
if( CURLE_OK == curl_easy_getinfo(context, CURLINFO_HTTP_CODE,
&statLong))
cout << "Response code: " << statLong << endl;
}
curl_easy_cleanup(context);
curl_global_cleanup();
return 0;
}

However, when I run the program it crashes without saying anything
('There was a problem with the application and it will be closed"). I
figured that it appears along with the call of the function
curl_global_init(). Any ideas on how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

Przemek

Alf P. Steinbach

> I am trying to use libcurl with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I
> downloaded the file from here:
> http://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/?type=lib&...&ver=2000%2FXP
> It is the 7.16.0 version of the library. The 'lib' subdiretory
> contains following files:
> libcurl-4.dll
> libcurl.la
> libcurl.a
> libcurl.dll.a
> I added the 'include' subdirectory to the include path of the project
> (VS sees the 'curl.h' file) and the libcurl.dll.a to the Linker-
>> Additional Dependencies so that the linker does its job (with one

> warning however:
> Linking...
> libcurl.dll.a(d000116.o) : warning LNK4078: multiple '.text' sections
> found with different attributes (E0000020)

[libcurl.dll.a] is probably a g++ import library. g++ uses the COFF
format which also Visual C++ uses, so there is some shared ground, but
the details are different. Ungood to mix. You need libraries built for
Visual C++. C++ has no standard, common binary format.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

Victor Bazarov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am trying to use libcurl with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I
> downloaded the file from here:
> [..snip..]
>
> However, when I run the program it crashes without saying anything
> ('There was a problem with the application and it will be closed"). I
> figured that it appears along with the call of the function
> curl_global_init(). Any ideas on how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

Wrong newsgroup. C++ language does not define what 'libcurl' is or
how to work with it. You probably need to contact the newsgroup
where it would be on topic (the ng for your OS, maybe?)

Post data using the libcurl Raj Python 0 11-09-2006 12:06 PM
Post data using the libcurl Raj Python 0 11-09-2006 12:06 PM
VB.Net of Visual Studio.Net 2003 VS Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition hunkgym ASP .Net 1 10-30-2006 03:10 PM
libcurl and expat Sylvain/11XX XML 1 05-23-2006 08:54 PM
Help getting started with Pycurl / libcurl ? gjzusenet@gmail.com Python 0 02-27-2006 11:58 AM

Advertisments