Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > C++ Test

C++ Test

Angus

Hello

I have about 3 years C++ experience (mostly on Windows platform). I am
looking for a permanent programming role and because all my C++ experience
is self taught have no idea how good (or otherwise) I am. Is anyone aware
of any standard tests or certifications I could follow?

Microsoft have certifications but they are .NET based and not really
interested in that.

Angus

Victor Bazarov

Angus wrote:
> I have about 3 years C++ experience (mostly on Windows platform). I
> am looking for a permanent programming role and because all my C++
> experience is self taught have no idea how good (or otherwise) I am.
> Is anyone aware of any standard tests or certifications I could
> follow?
>
> Microsoft have certifications but they are .NET based and not really
> interested in that.

AFAIK, there is no "industry standard" test for C++ proficiency, and
the main reason is the C++'s support for many differet programming
paradigms. You don't have to know templates, for example, if you never
use them in your code. You can always learn them later.

If you're concerned with getting in an interview easier, and think that
some kind of "certification" can help, try contacting a local community
college or other school that would allow you to earn a degree in "C++
Programming" perhaps by taking their exam. If they recommend taking
their class, you might still considering it; there is a chance you can
learn something...

If you just want to see where you stand, www.brainbench.com (IIRC) had
something C++ related some time ago.